Wednesday, August 23, 2006

ID Propaganda in My Mailbox

Because of where my wife used to work, we had a free subscription to Human Events, a politically conservative newsletter. I wouldn't say it is total-nutball conservative, but definately partisan. Anyway, we got a renewal ad in the mail a couple of weeks ago. It offers (with renewal) a free copy of Jonathan Wells's new book, The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism and Intelligent Design. Wells, of course, is part of the Discovery Institute and author of Icons of Evolution--a book that has received harsh reviews. I thought the ad was entertaining so I've scanned it and posted it below. This paragraph is pretty representative:

Dr. Wells, a biologist and senior fellow at the respected Discovery Institute, begins by explaining the basic tenets of Darwinism, and the evidence both for and against it. He reveals, for instance, that the fossil record, which according to Darwin should be teeming with "transitional" fossils showing the development of one species to the next, so far hasn't produced a single incontestable example.
The rest of the ad is like that; it's littered with distortions. I haven't seen the actual book, but it apparently makes the following mind-numblingly stupid argument: That influenza virus is designed to be killed by UV light. I'm not making that up--you can read about it at Aetiology. And these people want access to public schools!

So if you get a kick out of reading this kind of stuff, have a look at the actual ad. It's below the fold.

Continue Reading


Click to enlarge









2 comments:

BrianJ 8/24/2006 01:09:00 AM  

To the article's credit: At the bottom of each page, it says, "Next page, please."

To the article's discredit: Courier font. It is the font of sensationalism, scams, and--oddly--DNA sequences.

Western geologist 9/04/2006 12:04:00 PM  

Hey, if Jonathan Wells says it I believe it. After all, he's acting on the orders of Reverend Moon, and Moon was recently endorsed by Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed, and a host of other religious figures (I don't know if Joseph Smith was there).

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP