Book Review: Mormon Scientist
Henry Eyring died before I was old enough to know or care who he was. As far as I can remember, I first became aware of him during college, and only because of my interest in science and the accessibility of the Internet. With the publication of Mormon Scientist: The Life and Faith of Henry Eyring, Henry is once again in the limelight and a new generation can become familiar with him. This new biography is written by his grandson, Henry J. Eyring (who was urged to do so by Elder Neal A. Maxwell), and draws on Henry's former books, archived materials, articles published in Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought (see below), and the memories of his children, including President Henry B. Eyring of the First Presidency (and father of the author). The book is published by Deseret Book and during my recent trip to Utah I observed that it was being heavily advertised.
Among Church members who know his name, Henry Eyring is probably known for three things: (i) his commitment to the Church, (ii) his commitment to--and successful career in--science, and (perhaps less-well known) (iii) his bold but diplomatic face-off with Joseph Fielding Smith, then president of the Quorum of the Twelve. In light of the above, and given the position of President Eyring, I wondered what to expect from the book.
If you are looking for a reconciliation of science and religion you will be disappointed. Henry did not attempt reconciliation; he accepted contradiction and couched his views on science in terms of the genius of God while shunning dogmatism. Although it is portrayed as genuine, I have to think that his vagueness was also strategic. He often repeated his father's advice to him that "in this Church you don't have to believe anything that isn't true." Statements like that emphasize the broadness of Mormonism and allow people of different persuasions to see in it what they want, while avoiding becoming locked into conflict with any particular Church leader. Nevertheless, the book is peppered with Eyring's words of wisdom, some of which science-enthusiasts may want to appropriate for their own use.
The book provides a survey of Henry's life, beginning with his youth in one of the Mormon colonies in Mexico, and then charting his scientific career. Although some sense of his research accomplishments is given, the book avoids technicalities and readers need not have a background in science. Most of the book focuses on his role as ambassador between science and religion, as well as personality traits that made him unique. I did not previously know that he was actually assigned by the First Presidency (under David O. McKay) to unofficially represent the Church in science-and-religion discussions. However, he did not use that fact to bolster his position.Among faithful Church members, it would have added great weight to his arguments to say, "I speak regularly at the request of the First Presidency, and they're supportive of my views." The temptation would have been especially great when well-intentioned Church members criticized his scientific views as evidence of weak faith or even heresy.... He discretely stood on his own authority and took his lumps, because that was part of the job. (p. 208)
Henry's famous face-off with Joseph Fielding Smith is recounted in a respectful but forthright manner. The same forthrightness characterizes discussion of Henry's parents; not only was his father polygamously married to sisters (something that, at a young age, Henry decided was not a good idea), the second marriage took place in 1903, well after the 1890 Manifesto. By way of explanation the book states,However, polygamy was still legal in Mexico...and Church leaders in the Mormon colonies continued to selectively encourage polygamy until a final worldwide prohibition was issued by the First Presidency in Salt Lake City in 1904.
Although that statement glosses over some of the sticky issues surrounding post-Manifesto polygamy, I was surprised to see it treated at all. My guess is that many Church members will find such a thing surprising.
I found a few points to quibble with, but I don't think they are worth mentioning here. Overall the book makes for light reading, with only excerpts of representative letters used. I hope that someone will assemble and publish more of his correspondence. Also, readers should know that the focus of the book is firmly on Henry. Other family members are mentioned from time to time, however readers should not expect to gain direct insight into their views (i.e. President Henry B. Eyring's views).
Sadly the Church does not currently have a scientific mentor--someone who commands the respect and support of both leaders and laity, and can serve to ease the tension between science and religion. For this reason, I hope that Mormon Scientist will be read widely in the LDS community.
Resources:
Mormon Scientist has an associated website: mormonscientist.org. There you can read a free chapter, and Henry Eyring's books, The Faith of a Scientist and Reflections of a Scientist, will be made freely available--a wonderful idea!
In addition, interested readers may want to consult the following:
1. A Dialogue with Henry Eyring
2. Agreeing to Disagree: Henry Eyring and Joseph Fielding Smith (original article here)
3. Harvey Fletcher and Henry Eyring: Men of Faith and Science (original article here)
4. The Deseret Morning News interviewed Henry J. Eyring here.
5. My own Q&A with Henry J. Eyring is here.


6 comments:
In 1957 I was a missionary in West Virginia. One of the people we met through our tracting was the Secretary of the local chapter American Chemical Society. Dr. Henry Eyring came to speak at the ACS monthly meeting, and the Secretary was assigned to be his host during the afternoon before the meeting. The Secretary asked Dr. Eyring what he would like to do that afternoon, thinking he would want to visit one of the chemical plants to view their research programs. Instead, Dr. Eyring said he would like to visit the state capitol in Charleston to learn of the history of the state and people. The Secretary was impressed that a renown scientist would have that much interest in the local people.
Sadly the Church does not currently have a scientific mentor--someone who commands the respect and support of both leaders and laity, and can serve to ease the tension between science and religion
There are, however, people among the 12 with scientific backgrounds. The current Elder Eyring is both the son of the chemist/apostle Eyring and has a degree in physics himself. Plus he's 1st councilor in the First Presidency.
Elder Scott was a nuclear engineer which while not quite the same as a scientist requires a fair number of physics and chemistry classes.
If your point is that they haven't written works reconciling science and religion you're probably right - although Elder Eyring has talked about these issues in firesides.
Allen, thanks for sharing.
Clark, yes I agree that those are things to be optimistic about. However, as you note, they don't say much publicly--and that is more what I have in mind. We need a science version of Richard Bushman.
Alas, I have not been to those firesides. I would be interested to know more about what he said. (You can email me if it's not for public consumption.)
Well the last Eyring fireside I went to was at UVSC before I got married. So that was probably 5 years ago or so. And he explicitly said he didn't want what he said showing up on the internet. (grin) So he does seem pretty guarded about delving into controversial waters.
Plus, to be honest, I just don't recall the details of what he said beyond largely agreeing with it except in a place or two. But clearly a lot of what he said was his personal opinion as well.
It is kind of nice to have a physicist so high up in the Church though, don't you think?
Thank you for the helpful review.
I recall reading that polygamy was not legal in Mexico. Does Eyring provide a footnote for his assertion?
Justin,
No reference is given. A cursory look in Mormonism in Transition turned up this (p. 61):
"Some question exists as to the legal condition of plural marriages outside the United States at that time. Although polygamy was generally illegal under Mexican law, Heber J. Grant said that President Porforio Diaz had granted permission for plural marriages."
Post a Comment