I.D. in the News
Since the Kitzmiller decision in Dover, PA the hub-bub over intelligent design has quieted somewhat. It's back in the news today because of primary elections for the Kansas Board of Education. Most recently the board has favored including language (aided by the Discovery Institute) that would call for evidence against evolution to be taught. Although sounding open minded and fair, it is seen by many scientists as just another method to sneak ID into the class. (One ID supporter apparently admitted as much.) Over the years the progression has looked like this in response to court decisions:
creationism --> scientific creationism --> intelligent design --> teach the evidence for and against
[Update: It looks like the ID-friendly board members will now be in the minority.]
So while we're on the topic, I'll just point out a few other things.
1. Barbara Forrest has an online article desribing her experience as an expert witness in the trial last fall.
2. John Rennie, the editor of Scientific American, has a post on why I.D. is bad science even on its own terms.
3. A post on The Panda's Thumb announced an upcoming meeting at Cold Spring Harbor called "Engineering Principles in Biological Systems," and rightly pointed out that the I.D. folks ought to be all over a meeting like that--that is, if they are serious about their claims. The post ellicited this comment from someone who claims to be in the field of bio-medical engineering.
The issue is, at least in my undergrad university we were first trained in engineering and biology/medicine seperately, then trained to put the two together. So I learned to think like an engineer before I learned to apply that thinking to biological and medical issues. Engineers are, of course, designers. When looking at anything, we are trained to ask “why is it designed like this”. This becomes extremely frustrating when dealing with biological systems. This question is useful in many instances. But for biolgical systems an annoyingly large amount of the time there is no answer to the question. It is how it is because of some random thing that means it couldn’t have been any other way. It is the exact opposite of human design, and it makes the human designers I know extremely frustrated. It seems very hard for engineers to accept this, it goes against everything I was trained and it appears what others I know were trained as well. But it is painfully obvious when looking at biological systems in any sort of detail, and is something we have all had to come to terms with.


2 comments:
I can see where the ID folks are coming from -- definitely an ideological pursuit. However, I can see that some evolutionists also approach the matter in an idological manner. With all that we do know, there is a stunning amount of stuff that we don't know about this.
I have no problem teaching students a) what we definitely know, b) what we are quite certain about, c) what we think makes sense but are less certain about, and d) areas that are still very open for study. It would also be good to expose them to some of what is currently being studied.
This model is better than making it appear that we definitely *know* everything about this issue, because a) it reflects the truth, and b) it helps students understand the ongoing nature of scientific inquiry. It would help people be open minded about matters rather than being too closed minded to consider studying them.
This should be handled in the best scientific fashion rather than in a political or religious fashion. The goal of discussing deficiencies in our current knowledge is not a bad one, simply because it comes from religious ideologues. It just needs to be pursued properly. To do less makes it taboo to discuss knowledge deficiencies, which is nothing more than pursuing another ideology.
Reach Upward,
I agree with you, and I think most of the science bloggers I read would as well.
Post a Comment