Cain, Bigfoot, and DNA Testing
The stars are aligning or something. First there was this post which brought up the connection between race and Cain. Then there was this discussion on Cain and his posterity in the Bible. Oh, and we can't forget this poll which has fun with the folk doctrine that Cain is bigfoot.
PZ Myers has drawn my attention to an article in Trends in Ecology and Evolution (Vol. 21 No.2 Feb 2006) that investigates Sasquatch. Some fur was collected from the scene of a sighting and tested for DNA. The article pointed me to another article in Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution (31, 2004, 1-3) that tested the DNA of hair identified as belonging to yeti.
The results: Sasquatch clusters with bison; Yeti clusters with ungulates.
I suppose cryptozoologists will be undeterred. The Sasquatch researchers concluded that the hair recovered was not that of Sasquatch, so I guess they'll keep on searching.
Update: Well things have just taken a turn for the stranger. A comment on Myers' post pointed out this cryptozoology page analyzing bigfoot tracks. The analysis was done by none other than D. Jeffrey Meldrum--the same D. Jeffrey Meldrum who co-authored Evolution and Mormonism with Trent Stephens! Here is his faculty webpage--I see he has been interviewed on "Coast to Coast AM". Here is another webpage describing his interest. I'm not sure what to think about all of this.


2 comments:
Weird.
I would say not so weird. The existence of undiscovered primates is not an uncommon belief among scientists; even Jane Goodall on many occassions has stated she believes there is a non-human primate behind the "bigfoot" sightings. There are a few biological anthropologists at universities who study the issue very seriously. Now the connection w/ Cain, I'm not so sure.
Post a Comment