Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Book of Mormon Historicity: Sunstone Links

Over the past year a number of articles and letters have been published in Sunstone concerning Book of Mormon historicity. For those who are interested, SunstoneBlog.com has made them available for free, along with some letters not published.

For those unfamiliar with the terrain, here's a short list of people and their basic position. Not all of the authors are represented here, and I'm splitting them into two camps even though there are gradations between them.

Pro-historical: Trent Stephens, Blake Ostler, Kevin Christensen.

Not historical: Simon Southerton, Thomas Murphy, Brent Lee Metcalfe, Dan Vogel.


A number of the articles make reference to other publications such as those from FARMS. This FAIR page has links to many of those publications.

4 comments:

Anonymous,  2/09/2006 11:04:00 PM  

The obvious answer to all this debate is that Lehi was Asian!
Okay, probably not, but it would sure simplify things.

Anonymous,  2/10/2006 12:33:00 PM  

The last time I checked, Jerusalem was in Asia.

Anonymous,  2/12/2006 11:28:00 PM  

Hi all, first time poster here. I'm a grad student myself, plant pathology.

If you accept the limited geography model for the BoM then DNA evidence just doesn't refute BoM historicity.
In that model, Lehi's descendants were just one group amid the sea of inhabitants in the Americas. Any genetic signature from the Middle East would extremely difficult to detect.

Ironically, a lot of the same conservative Christian groups who are quick to claim that DNA evidence disproves the BoM, refuse to accept the same types of data as evidence for evolution.

Anonymous,  2/12/2006 11:29:00 PM  

Oh, I'm the anonymous poster who just posted above. I just didn't fill in the correct bubble.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP