Thursday, April 14, 2005

Richard Dawkins: Friend or Foe?

If there is a single modern person who draws the most ire from critics of evolution, I think it has to be Richard Dawkins. His popular science writings on evolution are pointed and powerful, and his atheism outspoken and unyielding. This makes him controversial both on scientific and philosophical grounds. And yet I quite enjoy his books. I certainly don't agree with his atheism, nor necessarily his politics, but I don't see him as a threat--I see him as a challenge. His writings make you think and introduce you to new perspectives. And sometimes I even make religious connections with his arguments.

Continue Reading


Several years ago I read his well-known book, The Blind Watchmaker. I rather liked the book and thought he made some good points. One passage in particular caught my interest. Near the end he discusses non-Darwinian conceptions of the creation of life on earth and why they fail. In response to theistic evolution--that God used evolution to create--he says:

All that we can say about such beliefs is, firstly, that they are superfluous and, secondly, that they assume the existence of the main thing we want to explain, namely organized complexity. The one thing that makes evolution such a neat theory is that it explains how organized complexity can arise out of primeval simplicity. If we want to postulate a deity capable of engineering all the organized complexity in the world, either instantaneously or by guiding evolution, that deity must already have been vastly complex in the first place.


He says a similar thing in Carl Zimmer's Evolution book:
If you're allowed just to postulate something complicated enough to design a universe intelligently, then you've sold the past. You've simply allowed yourself to assume the existence of exactly the thing which we're trying to explain. The beauty of the theory of evolution by natural selection is that it starts with simple things, and it builds up slowly and gradually to complex things, including things complex enough to design things--brains, in other words. If you allow yourself to use the idea of design right from the start, then you are simply giving up the beginning. You're simply not providing any kind of explanation at all.

When I read the that first passage I thought, "you know, he's got a point here." It also occured to me that Mormon theology comes closer than any other I am aware of, particularly Christian, to addressing this issue.

We don't have any final answers for the issue Dawkins raises, but we have more of a start than anyone else. Joseph Smith broke with strong tradition with his King Follet Discourse, and other similar teachings. The ideas that the elements are eternal, that God progressed to become what and who he is--these are mind expanding and daring ideas. Who else would sing a hymn asking, "Do you think that you could ever, in all eternity, find out the generation where gods began to be?" We don't know much about these issues so we don't emphasize them, but Joseph opened doors that would be unthinkable in other Christian traditions--and we are often criticised for them.

So in some ways, when I read Dawkins, I see him as a kindred spirit rather than the enemy. He is bold enough to ask big questions, and while I don't have the answers, I at least appreciate the questions.

10 comments:

Jeff G,  4/15/2005 02:37:00 PM  

AMEN! Finally, I find somebody who sees things the way I do. Dawkins rejection of God are of a very popular version of Him. A non-Mormon version.

But you are right, JS's KFD did address this issue. After all, Dawkin's says that swiss wathces have come from blind forces of evolution. They created man and then man created the watch. This is what we can believe about the earth. God became God somehow, and then God created us.

But the "somehow" can be problematic. Dawkins wants to show how starting at utter chaos, complexity can arise. BY, however, thought that complexity came from complexity came from complexity all the way back, worlds without beginning.

Thus, while Dawkins starts with Chaos, we are still starting with complexity. But even this is inaccurate, for we don't believe that there ever was a "start." Thus, if there was never a start then the issue of chaos or complexity in the beginning is meaningless.

Then again, it might be fun to believe that there was a first God which arose along the lines of evolution somewhere, somehow. Truman Madsen actually speculated on this. I guess either way it doesn't really matter all that much.

Anonymous,  4/15/2005 02:59:00 PM  

Science's job is to fill in whatever gaps it can, even if that means displacing religion at times. Science helps define religion by narrowing its domain, so scientific research is also religious research.

But whenever science fills a gap, we need to be careful to not get big heads and think that we're well on our way to filling all gaps. We're far from it.

Jared*,  4/15/2005 03:03:00 PM  

But what is chaos and what is complexity? If elements are in some sense eternal and uncreated, then there must be some basic eternal level of organization or complexity--it seems to me.

Anonymous,  4/15/2005 05:18:00 PM  

Just to go astrophysical on you, the elements (in the chemistry sense) are not eternal and uncreated. You start in the big bang with a cooling soup of subatomic particles, end up with hydrogen and helium after the first three minutes, and the rest of the elements are cooked in successive generations of stars lasting tens to hundreds of millions of years.

This doesn't sound like a circumstance amenable to "turtles all the way down," i.e. generations of Gods back into eternity with no beginning.

Just to go cosmological on you, however, an important version of Inflation ("Eternal Inflation") has our big bang being just one universe in a Universe which has "pocket universes" popping off all the time (see an article by Andrei Linde in Scientific American, I think maybe 1994, for some reason I want to say September, but don't count on it). This, then, is amenable to the Mormon view of an eternity of gods in both directions of time.

Clark Goble,  4/15/2005 05:22:00 PM  

Just to add to Christian's comments, Linde's views have become fairly mainstream now and are defended by fairly significant figures in physics, often as a way to avoid various anthropic arguments.

Christian Y. Cardall,  4/15/2005 05:26:00 PM  

I haven't read Dawkins. I gather he's at odds with Gould, not about the existence of God, but about the mechanics of evolution and the generation of biodiversity. I like what I've read from Gould, and think I would agree with him over Dawkins, on the mechanics.

Also, while atheist, Gould doesn't waste time making belligerent arguments (as Dawkins does, I gather) against God. This habit of Dawkins is a problem because it's clear he's beyond the evidence, and then people will think he's beyond the evidence in arguing for evolution as well. So by trying to say too much, the rhetorical effect is that he weakens the case for evolution.

For both of these reasons, if I had to choose one or the other as a "friend" in promoting evolution, I would choose Gould.

Christian Y. Cardall,  4/15/2005 05:33:00 PM  

Clark, I think eternal inflation typically does give rise to a form of anthropic argument: In all these universe the laws of physics, constants of nature, etc. may be different, even random. Most of them are not compatible with life. Our universe just happens to be one that luckily had useful values. Hence our being here "explains" why our physics is "just so" (the essence of anthropic arguments).

Jeff G,  4/15/2005 06:19:00 PM  

Christian,

By element which is eternal, I mean, as I assume Joseph would mean give our current understanding of the world, matter/energy.

With regards to the anthropic principle, Smolin produced a fasinating article entitled "Did the universe evolve?" wherein he argues that baby universes are created by black holes. But black holes could only come about under certain conditions. Therefore the universes which had constants best suited for producing new universes through black holes would be the ones which would survive and so on. It is highly speculative at best, but interesting nonetheless.

It applies universal darwinism to the cosmos to deliver a crushing blow to any form of the teleological argument.

Jared,
When I speak of chaos, I speak of relatively random, unorderliness. When I speak of complexity, I speak of design, usually very intricate design, whether it be designed by an intelligent agent, or mindless algorithms.

With regards to there always having been organization of some type I think you may be right. BUT, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with this since is seems like a skyhook, dropping out of the sky, and instead of it being attached to nothing at all, it simply goes on and on forever.

I guess this is one of the problems with infinity that everybody is always warning about.

Clark Goble,  4/18/2005 05:10:00 PM  

It seems to me that Dawkin's is more of a problem than a help to theists who accept evolution. He makes such anti-religious statements that he practically encourages religious people to see evolution as a threat and react the way they do.

If you see Dawkins as a friend, all I can say is, "with friends like these. . ."

Christian, the reason Smolin and others say that inflation does away with anthropic principles is that if there are an infinite number of universes then ours isn't special in the least. It could evolve quite nicely - much as evolution does away with the anthropic principle in biology.

BTW if you are interested in a discussion of the anthropic principle between Smolin and Susskind you can find it here.

Clark Goble,  4/18/2005 05:14:00 PM  

Actually let me qualify what I said somewhat. A multiverse renders anthropic principles unnecessary.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP