Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Must Read Articles in Dialogue

I recently purchased a DVD that contains all issues of Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought up through 2004. (Thanks to Justin Butterfield for bringing it to my attention.) For $35 I think it was a pretty good deal. Each article is in PDF format, which is nice. However, since each element of the magazine (table of contents, articles, etc) is a separate file, and all of the files are in one folder, browsing is a little difficult. You can search an index, which is definately helpful but not perfect. (You can also read some Dialogue back-issues online. See the links on my sidebar.)
 
Relative to some on the bloggernacle I am new to the more serious world of Mormon scholarship, but I do know that Dialogue has published some important articles over the years. I would like to invite participants in the bloggernacle to comment on what they see as must-read articles in Dialogue. Articles need not be science related. I'm not interested in poetry or fiction, but if you really love those you can post them too. Give as much of the author's name, title of the article, vol, no, (or year) as you can remember. I'll fill in the info as necessary.

5 comments:

Jeff G,  4/06/2005 03:08:00 PM  

See this issue for a gold mine:
http://www.dialoguejournal.com/store/?id=68

Anonymous,  4/07/2005 02:58:00 AM  

The Beurger articles are must reads. Blake's article on the Pre-existence is a good one. I forget who, but the one on the evolution of the WoW is pretty good too.

Justin B.,  4/07/2005 11:19:00 AM  

Besides the articles in the 35th anniversary issue, the ones collected in Neither White Nor Black, and the science articles in issue 8/3-4, I like the following ten:

Gary James Bergera, "The Orson Pratt-Brigham Young Controversies: Conflict within the Quorums, 1853-1868," Dialogue 13 (Summer 1980): 7-49.

D. Michael Quinn, "LDS Church Authority and New Plural Marriages, 1890-1904," Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 18 (Spring 1985): 9-105.

James B. Allen, "The Significance of Joseph Smith's 'First Vision' in Mormon Thought," Dialogue, Vol. 1, Autumn 1966, pp. 29-45.

Lester Bush, Birth Control Among the Mormons

Lester Bush, The Word of Wisdom in Early Nineteenth-Century Perspective

David J. Buerger, Adam-God Doctrine

Van Wagoner and Walker, Joseph Smith-The Gift of Seeing

Blake Ostler, The Book of Mormon as a Modern Expansion of an Ancient Source

Todd Compton, John Willard Young, Brigham Young, and the Development of Presidential Succession

Paul Cazier, Stealing the Reaper's Grim-The Challenge of Dying Well

Jared*,  4/07/2005 07:53:00 PM  

Just to fill in a little info, here are references for some of the titles listed so far.

David Buerger:
The Adam-God Doctrine, 15(1)
The Fullness of the Priesthood: The Second Annointing...., 16(1)
Development of Endowment, 20(4)

Lester Bush:
WofW, 14(3)
Birth Control, 10(2)

Wagoner and Walker:
Joseph Smith--The Gift of Seeing, 15(2)

Blake Ostler:
BofM Expansion, 20(1)

Todd Compton:
Presidential Succession, 35(4)

Paul Cazier:
Dying Well, 32(4)

Jeff G,  4/08/2005 02:24:00 PM  

I'm also a fan of the Lawrence Foster articles.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP