Review of Evolution: The Triumph of an Idea
I recently finished reading Evolution: The Triumph of an Idea, by Carl Zimmer and want to share a few of my thoughts about it. It is the companion book to a PBS series. (The PBS website is worth browsing as well.)
I think Evolution is a great book for anyone wanting a broad introduction to evolution. It is well written and has many beautiful color pictures, illustrations, and figures. I was suprised at the quality of my paperback version--the paper is not the cheap kind usually used in novels. The book has a textbook feel and look, but with clear, mostly non-technical writing. It gives a broad overview of evolutionary theory using many fascinating examples, along with some discussion of its history and implications. Although a biology background is certainly helpful, I think the writing is clear enough that anyone with rudimentary science education would easily understand the concepts presented. I thought it was also written in a balanced way. For example, I knew ahead of time evolutionary psychology is a controversial area. To its credit, the book presents the views of both proponents and critics.
Here is a basic outline of the content:
Continue Reading
Throughout the book there are many illustrative examples of how evolution has shaped life and they represent a challenge to think of a more reasonable explanation. This is especially true in the strange world of sexual selection. Why do certain male insects allow the female to eat them after mating? Why do peakcocks have such big tails? Why do male lions kill lion cubs that are not their own? Why do some animals display signs of altruism? Why do chimpanzees display such violence but bonobos (another type of chimpanzee) make love, not war? These and other questions, it seems, can only be answered in the context of evolution.
The final chapter deals with religious controversies. It provides multiple perspectives and is done respectfully, I think. At the end is a brief discussion of Darwin's view of religion. He was not a raging atheist--he was rather private in his views and shunned the spotlight. He did move to agnosticism, but this cannot be attributed to his theories alone--personal tragedy, combined with uninspired (in my view) theology played an understandable role. I came away quite sympathetic to him--I do not believe he deserves the personal hostility often shown toward him by critics.
I do have a couple of brief criticisms of the book. First, instead of a footnote or endnote format, the book has a bibliography. This makes looking up references for specific claims or examples a little more difficult. Also, when discussing extinctions and the evolution of resistance in microbes and other pests, the writing seemed a little alarmist to me. They are important issues, but my impression was that these discussions had a little too much doom and gloom to them.
My criticisms are minor. At around twenty dollars, this book is a good buy for the money. I certainly recommend it.


3 comments:
Jared,
While on a business trip the week of Sept. 24-27, 2001, I saw a couple of the original PBS episodes.
Then one day I noticed the Carl Zimmer companion volume on the shelf at our local Barnes and Noble. At $40.00 it seemed a bit too pricey. But one day I found it on sale and bought it. By the end of May, 2002, I had read every word on each of its beautifully illustrated pages.
So, anyway, I have the book and I've read it. It isn't real fresh in my mind because it's been three years, but I'd enjoy discussing the book and the PBS series with you.
Gary,
Sure--I haven't seen any of the series though.
Jared.
After reading pages 78-79, I looked up Ronald Fisher:
"Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher, FRS [Fellow of the Royal Society] (February 17, 1890—July 29, 1962) was an extraordinarily talented evolutionary biologist, geneticist and statistician. He has been described by Richard Dawkins as 'The greatest of Darwin's successors.' " (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.)
As Zimmer explains, "Fisher ... demonstrated that natural selection progresses by the accumulation of many small mutations rather than by a few giant ones" (p. 79). Fisher used "esoteric math" to prove this, but Zimmer makes it understandable for non-mathematicians using the hypothetical example of a dragonfly's wings. The analogy is clearly written and enjoyable to read. The incredible periods of time involved become evident when Zimmer points out that "even a slight advantage, translating into just a few extra offspring, may allow a mutation to spread through a population after a few dozen generations." (Ibid., Italics added.)
This same process is described using other analogies in other books I've read, including Trent D. Stephens, et al., Evolution and Mormonism, chapter 7, pp. 101-118, and James P. Hogan, Kicking the Sacred Cow, pp. 9-58. I like each of these for different reasons, but I'd have to say, Carl Zimmer's is one of the clearest explanations I've read.
Summarizing what I understand from this, evolution is what happens when each of many small mutations, over a period of a few dozen generations, establishes itself as a permanent part of the genome. Going back to Zimmer's analogy, no individual dragonfly actually "evolves." Each individual dragonfly, beginning as an egg, lives and dies virtually without genetic change. It's the genome itself that evolves as it is passed down through the generations, accumulating and preserving beneficial mutations along the way, with individual dragonflies being merely snapshots of the genome as it stands at that point in time.
Well, being a microbiologist yourself, what's your opinion? Do you think this old computer programmer will ever understand evolution?
Post a Comment