Monday, April 04, 2005

Conference and Other Musings

Another GC has come and gone. It wasn't a very intense one for me, but a few talks did stand out to me.

Continue Reading


I thought it was interesting that Pres. Hinckley talked about a scholarly book he was reading about the Bible. It shows that he has an active and inquiring mind (more on this in a moment.) He then talked a little about the celebration of Joseph Smith this year. It will be interesting to see how this develops. I am especially eager to read Richard Bushman's forthcoming biography. (I've put my wife on notice that when it comes out, I am buying it.) With the increased focus on Joseph Smith will also come greater discussion of controversial issues. Some are uncomfortable but we'll have to face them anyway.

I think that anybody with even a little intellectual curiosity has a private list of issues that they would like to hear discussed in Conference. However, usually the Brethren don't even get near these issues--at least the ones on my list. Perhaps this is more of a blessing than a curse, since it would multiply reasons for people to disagree with them. There are some issues that I think cannot be avoided for much longer, in my non-seer opinion, because they will begin to affect missionary work. (Can I coin a new LDS on-line abbreviation: IMNSO?) But we shall see.

To change the topic slightly, I have been reading a little about LDS intellectual controversies that have occured in the last few decades. I have been impressed that when Pres. Hinckley has been involved, he has usually shown tolerance--or even support--for the intellectual community. He has by no means been a door-mat and has acted against them from time to time, but he seems to respect honest inquiring minds. Perhaps his early interest in journalism has played a role here. Perhaps his association with David O. McKay also contributed.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP