Stoning False Prophets
I've been traveling for work lately, and was lucky enough to spend some time in Europe, which is why things have been so dead around here for the past few weeks. While there I went to a museum that contained a piece that represented the solar system in both the Copernican (heliocentric) and Ptolemaic (geocentric) forms. As I was about to move on, a tour group swarmed around and the tour guide began to tell about the piece. In discussing the Ptolemaic portion of it, she briefly gave some background about how medieval beliefs were backward, including the belief that the Earth was flat. Then she spoke of how people had believed that the solar system revolved around Earth, but that Copernicus had come along and said that that was ridiculous.
Although her tour group probably wouldn't care, I felt that the guide did them a disservice by giving such a cartoonish picture of science history. For starters, the notion that medieval people thought that Earth was flat is a myth. It's one of those things that everybody knows, but that isn't true. Beyond that is the implied notion that geocentrism was self-evident nonsense. It is easy for us to look back at beliefs that we now know to be wrong and sniff at what imbeciles people who held those beliefs were. But aside from being uncharitable, this tendency reinforces (and perhaps derives from) a cartoonish version of how science works and progresses--that it's a simple matter of smarter people coming on the scene.
In truth, the path of scientific knowledge and understanding is often crooked, with many false turns and dead ends. Science is a matter of evidence, and it turns out that geocentrism had a lot going for it, in spite of Copernicus. (Thanks to Mormon Metaphysics, for bringing the linked post to my attention.) Heliocentrism was the new kid on the block, and it would take time before it would prove its worth. That it ultimately succeeded does not nullify its need to do so in the first place, and the same holds for any successful theory that was initially resisted (e.g. plate tectonics)--something that is often missed by cranks pushing self-proclaimed revolutionary ideas.
It seems to be human nature to want to stone false prophets. We see it in politics constantly. In science there is no dishonor in being wrong (or at least there shouldn't be), as long as the mistake is one of pure intention in the quest of discovery. Being wrong is often a step toward being right.


5 comments:
How nice to read you writing about the flat earth myth. It wasn't long ago I finished reading Jeffrey Burton Russels Inventing the Flat Earth. The story behind how this misunderstandig came to be is really interesting.
Your post was interesting to me also because I feel like I'd like to stone those "false prophets" who started the flat earth myth (people like Washington Irving, Andrew Dickson White and Jean Antoine Letronne). I guess stoning those false prophets wouldn't be right either, although they being wrong wasn't really a step toward being right. (Of course persons I mentioned have been dead for a long time, so I couldn't stone them anyway.)
If nothing else Tycho Brahe's fusion style of part copernican and part geocentric model ought inform us that the answers to these questions given the data of the time weren't quite as obvious as some like to portray.
Niklas,
Glad you liked it, and thanks for bringing that book to my attention. Of course stoning false prophets is a metaphor for harsh or dismissive judgment, and I'm not saying that it is never appropriate. I'm sure that we could make a list of people in the history of science that deserve to be stoned. I'm simply criticizing the reflexive dismissal of people who were wrong somewhere in the process of discovery.
Clark, thanks for reminding me of Tycho Brahe's fusion model.
Can we stone Al Gore? The seas haven't risen and flooded out NY yet.
Yes. But only if we can also stone people who misrepresent what he has said. Fair is fair.
Post a Comment