Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Ensign Avoids (What Should Be) the Obvious

The August issue of the Ensign has a seven page story about the Church in the Galápagos (link). [In my best Church Lady voice]: Now let's see. Who do the Galápagos islands remind me of? What person is famously and intimately connected with them. Oh, I don't know. Could it be DARWIN?! [a.k.a. SATAN?!]

Before reading the story, I said to my wife, "I bet you that there isn't a single mention of Darwin." Then I started reading. In the second paragraph we get this:

Here, on the Galápagos, islands born of fire, life takes on precious meaning. It is a land where science and faith intermingle, where we come to understand that we are all part of a common humanity.
Then the article talks about the experience of individual members of the Church. OK, no mention of Darwin but the article is firmly focused on Church members, so I guess those sentences will do.

But then in a section titled, "What the Galápagos Teach Us," the article starts talking about ecology and my ears perk up.
As a tour guide and naturalist, André explains, "The Galápagos teach us that an ecosystem is like a living being. It's like a body. It has pressure, fluids, and organs. If one of those things goes wrong, then everything suffers."
Interesting. Ecology in the Ensign? Cool.
The Galápagos Islands also teach us about the vast grandeur of God's creations. Nothing is indigenous to the Galápagos. All life, plants, animals, and people are imports.
Yes!
"If you think about it," André explains, "the chances of life beginning here on the Galápagos are incredible. First, the lava rock had to decompose to the point where it would support life. Then freshwater sources had to develop. Then seeds had to arrive in a condition that would allow them to germinate. And they had to be able to pollinate each other.

"Then creatures had to arrive, whether floating on the water or flying or whatever. And members of each sex had to arrive at the same time and place and condition so that they could reproduce and find food and water. There are thousands of species of animals in the Galápagos.
Yes! Yes! We're almost there! (Except a pregnant female would do as well as an opposite sex pair.) Go on!
"Remember, the nearest land mass is 600 miles [1,000 km] away. For all of these conditions to be met is something of a miracle."
Yes! You've got it! Bring it home!
And yet that is exactly what the Lord, in His infinite wisdom, caused to happen.





Oh, Ensign. You're supposed to be feeding my faith, not my cynicism.

I guess I should congratulate the author for his skill at dancing within a Book of Mormon's width of Darwin and evolution without touching them. And nice use of the word 'grandeur,' which Darwin used in his famous closing of Origin of Species. I think it's best if it serves as the end of this post, too.
There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

Update: The Church magazines deserve credit for an online photo gallery, as I explain in this post.


12 comments:

Jared* 7/21/2011 08:33:00 PM  

Perhaps the most disturbing thing about all of this is that it is probable that some people don't know who the Church Lady is.

Ardis 7/22/2011 11:07:00 AM  

And how could we know the Church Lady, when KSL won't broadcast that show? Disturbing, indeed.

So ... do you suppose The Obvious came up in editorial discussions and drafts and rewrites, or do you suppose the Lord, in his infinite wisdom, caused the article to happen this way from the beginning?

Paul 2,  7/22/2011 12:10:00 PM  

They missed their big chance to explain the two biggest theories going round the editorial office:
1) that this could have been accomplished by Noah, who stopped by all the islands dropping off the unique species in just the right places, or
2) the miracle was accomplished by teleporting animals to the Islands. We all know how teleportation can distort DNA. This would have caused different looking species. Of course the teleportation-caused DNA damage produced adaptive changes to help the animals be better adapted to their new home, proving the wisdom of the procedure. :)
3) Well, we're just plain out of ideas. Are there any other options?

Paul 2,  7/22/2011 12:12:00 PM  

Oh, wait a second, maybe it was Hagoth who brought the animals.

Tim 7/22/2011 12:37:00 PM  

I'm thinking they edited out quite a bit of what the naturalist (they guy who said all of the good science quotes) said. He seemed to know what he was talking about, and I'm willing to bet he mentioned Darwin and/or evolution.

Anonymous,  7/22/2011 03:49:00 PM  

Let's let God have the glory this time. He certainly get it very often these days.

Jack

Anonymous,  7/22/2011 03:50:00 PM  

He certainly *doesn't* get it very often these days.

Aaron 7/23/2011 08:35:00 AM  

I don't really care so much about the absence of any reference to Darwin, maybe because what is in the article is so beautifully written. The way I see it, this allows LDS readers who might see Darwin as a red flag to actually consider the implications of what he started so long ago. And if so, it can be appreciated without threatening, which I would consider a great step forward.

Jared* 7/23/2011 09:49:00 AM  

Ardis,

I'm afraid the lack of knowledge of the Church Lady is now more a matter of the passage of time rather than access.

I bet The Obvious did come up, but who knows. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Paul 2,

I'm partial to the teleportation method.

Tim,

I was thinking the same thing.

Jack,

Does it have to be mutually exclusive? Further, I don't think God is lacking for glory in the Ensign.

Aaron,

I've had some thoughts along similar lines. On the other hand, simply chalking it all up to a miracle done in the Lord's wisdom is fundamentally misleading, in my opinion. It closes off any need for further consideration and undermines appreciation for what's really happened.

Anonymous,  8/01/2011 02:02:00 PM  

I can understand Aaron's optimistic sentiment that perhaps "this allows LDS readers who might see Darwin as a red flag to actually consider the implications" of Darwinism, but wouldn't it be better to help us stop seeing Darwin as a "red flag" through open rather than coy acknowledgment of Darwins' influence on ecology?

Matronne,  8/04/2011 04:51:00 PM  

Are you also bugged when scientific journals don't give God credit for things? You kind of expect a different focus from different periodicals.

The Brandonian Era,  8/08/2011 01:14:00 PM  

For an article about the church in the Galápagos, you might be expecting a little too much from the writer. I believe Darwin does deserve at least a shout out. But can you mention him and do his work justice without going on a tangent and getting off topic?

As Matronne pointed out, the Ensign is no scientific journal. I don't think the Ensign staff is qualified to hit some issues head on. That creates the perfect niche for this blog to fill.

Other religious publications aren't so timid. I wonder if they are able to retain any science nerds in their membership?

http://www.watchtower.org/e/200609/article_03.htm

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20080101a/article_01.htm

I'll appreciate the Ensign for what it does best and trust Jared* and Pearl Jam to bridge the scientific gaps in my faith.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDaOgu2CQtI&ob=av3e

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP