Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Sense of Planetary Proportion

I don't get tired of watching these. Need I say more?








9 comments:

Ben Pratt 6/18/2009 12:11:00 AM  

These are great, Jared*!

I love that the second video uses the theme from the movie, "Dune."

BrianJ 6/18/2009 10:15:00 AM  

How could they leave out Kolob?!?!

PS. I liked the first one more because the music was kinda freaky.

Anonymous,  6/19/2009 12:43:00 AM  

Fun!

What happened to the tour of the universe you used to have on your bar? I loved that.

Jack

S. Hawking,  6/19/2009 01:51:00 PM  

Where was pluto? I wasn't expecting to see a picture of Uranus!

Dave C. 6/19/2009 01:55:00 PM  

As someone who likeS to take out my telescope and view these and other stars now and again, I have one thing to say about these videos.

I FREAKIN' LOVE IT!

p.s. I have a picture of Kolob if you want it.

Jared* 6/19/2009 09:33:00 PM  

Jack,

If you are referring to Atlas of the Universe, it's still there under Science Links. Otherwise I'm not sure what you have in mind.

BrianJ,

Some have identified Kolob with Sirius. As you can see, that's not very impressive as far as stars go.

Dave,

How's that? Did you hie there?

Dave C. 6/20/2009 12:59:00 AM  

Jared*,

Did I hie to Kolob? LOL!

If God's throne is near the center of the Milky Way Galaxy, then the massive cluster in the bottom right of this photo is his likely throne. It may be Kokaubeam (Abraham 3: 13, 16).

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap090107.html

Unknown 6/20/2009 11:02:00 AM  

Two things:

They didn't leave Kolob out. I saw it among the first few planets shown. (grin)

As impressive as these demonstrations are, I find the distances between these planets/suns to be the more mindboggling concept, by far. Try making a video to demonstrate that. (grin) In fact, try any medium. It's quite difficult. Comparing size is child's play next to showing distances.

Most people have a very distorted concept of just how far apart the planets in our solar system truly are, say nothing of those distances beyond the heliopause, the boundary of our solar system.

It's almost universal. Everyone has a mental concept that greatly underestimates those incomprehensible distances. Do a little research; see if I'm not right. Then, try to get your mind around the reality of not only size but distance as well.

The Brandonian Era,  6/22/2009 02:22:00 AM  

So the sun and the moon on your LDSSR banner aren't drawn to scale?

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP