FARMS Review: Intelligent Design
The most recent FARMS Review is out and it contains an article by Richard Sherlock titled, "Mormonism and Intelligent Design." It is not a book review, rather it is an extended opinion piece wherein Sherlock defends ID.
In the editor's introduction, Daniel Peterson writes that he expects the piece will be controversial and that FARMS will take criticism for publishing it. He further writes:Candidly, I've been astonished at the consistent inaccuracy with which ID theory, as it's sometimes called, has been depicted in the press, and at the knee-jerk and caricaturizing negativism with which some believing Latter-day Saint scientists have responded to it. It seems to me, whether ID is ever shown to be correct or not, or whether it can even be formulated as a truly scientific hypothesis or not, Latter-day Saints, of all people, should not automatically dismiss it as a possibility. We have no obligation, whatever the surrounding culture may say, to accept the notion that naturalism is the default setting for scientific and scholarly discussion. Why hand such an advantage to critics of the gospel and the restoration without even seriously considering the question? Sometimes, it seems to me, we Latter-day Saints are so terrified of being thought provincial and backward that we are much too quick to signal our submission to reigning cultural and intellectual dogma. But such submission will never convince any of our cultured despisers that we're not backward rubes . . . and a hasty and uncritical zeal to ape our "betters" may only serve to confirm that we are, indeed, insecure provincials.
The motivation for publishing this article may be to begin to address "secular anti-Mormonism," something that Peterson recognizes as a problem with an inadequate response. As far as publication goes, my initial criticism is this: an articulate LDS scientist with a contrary opinion should have been invited to respond. This is something that can be remedied in the next issue, and I hope it will. But let me also say that I am pleased that FARMS is willing to publish material that breaks through the standard creationist paradigm.
For the sake of easier blog-post digestion, I will save many of my comments for at least one more post. For now, I want to get a few things out of the way. First of all, ID can be a difficult issue to discuss because assumptions and agendas concerning science, theology, scripture, and law/politics quickly come into play. The ID concept is intimately wrapped up with a particular group of advocates associated with a think-tank that has been persuing a cultural agenda that involves scientific and legal issues, and must be viewed in the context of the decades-long fight with creationists over evolution in the public schools. It does not necessarily follow that because one dislikes or fights against the ID movement that one is therefore dead-set against God intervening anywhere in the 4.5 billion-year history of the earth.
Let me state up front that I have no philosophical problem with God intervening in the world on occasion. I agree with Sherlock that our theology, scriptures, and history demand such things. However, I am skeptical of our ability to recognize his interventions scientifically (at least yet) and I think that ID advocates have charted a course which, if persued, could do real damage to the scientific enterprise. Furthermore the central claims of ID advocates are at best untested hypotheses that have not yet earned their place in the sciences. The fact that such hypotheses seem intuitive does not make them right.
More to come.


11 comments:
I know that there is a critical review of ID that is fit to be published...wouldn't it be delightful if FARMS did (for balance sake, of course).
Is the New book by Dr. Salisbury that they are advertising for also an ID piece? Seems so...
Seems like they are just marketing that book to me...
How sad it is for the future of science in the LDS church. FARMS arguing for ID, this will be just a first step. Soon this will influence many of the general membership to treat science just like many evangelical groups. My biology degree from BYU will be tarnished.
This is interesting. Thanks.
Most of my LDS friends (not internet LDS friends) are strong creationists.
No doubt about it.
I should also add that this may, in turn, be a response to the reviews of the evolution books in Farms review 18 1...
Anon,
Look on the bright side, at least it isn't YEC. Also, the essay may be a response to the last issue, however the reviews in question were done by Salisbury.
Todd,
I do not doubt it.
While I tend to think far too many people overreact regarding ID (even though I don't buy it in the least) I think it unfortunate that FARMS has done this.
For one, I don't see what ID gives Mormons theologically. It seems that from an apologetic stance buying into change as a way to answer why God did things the way he did is a big winner. Once you buy into ID you're stuck with God controlling the whole process in a way that leads too all sorts of theological problems. (IMO)
But beyond that, it isn't clear what the theological reason for believing ID is. While there clearly are a wide variety of theologies of the nature of God and his relationship to the universe in Mormonism, most of those that are conducive to ID tend to be out of the mainstream of LDS thought, from what I can see.
The benefit, of course, is that if you buy ID you buy all of the history of evolution and just quibble over whether certain mutations are by chance or not. Of course I'm not at all convinced most people who say they support ID realize that. But that's a different point.
Overall though I'm very disappointed that FARMS embraced ID and think this will be very counterproductive.
Nice post. I'm glad Clark already commented, so I can say "ditto" and pretend that I was about to write the same thing.
1.
I agree with Clark: "if you buy ID you buy all of the history of evolution and just quibble over whether certain mutations are by chance or not."
2.
BYU professor Duane E. Jeffery is a prominent LDS scientists who opposes intelligent design. He misrepresents ID when he claims it wants to find "evidences" of divine existence in nature. According to Jeffery, ID "simply is not science." (Deseret News, Jan. 19, 2006; emphasis added.)
"You can't test anything with intelligent design," Duane Jeffery said, "There's no way you can do science with it. Nobody has been able to." (BYU NewsNet, Nov. 28, 2005; emphasis added.)
Dan Peterson may not have been thinking about Duane Jeffery when he pointed out that "some believing Latter-day Saint scientists have responded to ... ID theory [with] knee-jerk and caricaturizing negativism," but that's who I thought about when I read his comment.
3.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, we also have a knee-jerk response from Utah's State Senator Chris Buttars who thought he was promoting intelligent design until the Discovery Institute disowned him.
- - -
Thanks for the links, Jared.
Note the typo in my comment. I'm sure you all figured it out but it should read:
It seems that from an apologetic stance buying into chance as a way to answer why God did things the way he did is a big winner.
The idea is to have God being an interventionist God but a minimally inteventionist being. I rather like the way Blake thinks about this via prayer in his latest volume (even though I quibble on some points)
So ID doesn't have God leaving enough to chance, huh. A quick search through the statements of the prophets and apostles doesn't indicate that they're too keen on God playing dice either. Of course, The LDS Philosophers® are another matter, aren't they? They usually are. I , for one, would welcome any sign of FARMS paying less attention to them.
Post a Comment