Jeffrey Meldrum on Bigfoot
Jeffrey Meldrum has been in the news recently. He is a professor of anatomy at Idaho State University and is a co-author, with Trent Stephens, of Evolution and Mormonism as well as a FARMS article on DNA and the Book of Mormon. He is also a star in Bigfoot research. (I kind of wish I didn't have to write 'Book of Mormon' and 'Bigfoot' in the same paragraph, though of course some would say it's appropriate.)
AP news article: here
NPR Science Friday interview: here. (In the interview, Meldrum maintains that the university faculty are generally not as negative as the AP story sounds.)
He has also authored a new book on the topic: Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science. I'd be interested to read the book at some point. There's a chapter on DNA, but from the NPR interview I understand that they really don't have any yet (other than samples that have turned out to be bison, or some such). I'm on the skeptical side, but it would be really cool to be wrong.


3 comments:
It would be sure nice if we didn't have folks on "quack" expeditions like this defending the Book of Mormon. Even if there is something to these other endeavors I think it ends up tainting their apologetics.
Thank heavens folks like John Gee have had the foresight to spend time publishing in really reputable journals and building up a reputation.
Have you seen the Jack Link's "Messin' with Sasquatch" TV commercials? You can watch them all at:
www.messinwithsasquatch.com
My personal favorites are the shaving cream and the "Too Hot for TV" water bowl commercials.
They're funny, but kind of dumb.
We had a number of very difficult to explain occurences in the near vicinity of where I live one season about 25 years ago. The plaster casts that the State of Utah took of footprints at a nearby fish hatchery along with the carcases of half-eaten fish sure impressed the officials. Hair sample tests were inconclusive.
I have handled the casts myself. It would truly be very difficult to fake those things, given the nuances you would not expect to find in a hoax. Still, the crop circles in the UK fooled a lot of experts as well.
Post a Comment