Thursday, November 30, 2006

Free Book: Evolutionary Science and Society

I don't know much about the organization that put out this book, and I haven't been able to give it a thorough reading, but it looks great! I recognize the names of several of the contributors as being prominent in science.

Topics covered include: the origin of life, constructing the tree of life, placing humans in the tree, history and philosophy of science, science and theology, basics of how evolution works, and practical applications.

You can download the whole book, or individual chapters, as pdf files. Did I mention it's free? So go get it, and then you can print out chapters to read at your leisure.

Once again, here is the link.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  12/01/2006 03:30:00 PM  

Thanks for the link! What exactly is your area of specialty?

Jared*,  12/01/2006 11:40:00 PM  

BrianJ,

You are certainly welcome.

What exactly is your area of specialty?

Molecular virology. More specifically, I study how a particular virus gets out of cells.

Anonymous,  12/03/2006 11:17:00 PM  

If you don't mind: which virus? I naively thought viruses exit by causing lysis; are there some that use exocytosis?

Jared*,  12/03/2006 11:55:00 PM  

BrianJ,

I'll give you more details via email. Do me a favor and send me an email to the address given in my profile. (Click on my name on the sidebar.)

Anonymous,  12/17/2006 03:28:00 PM  

This book is little more than propoganda by the evolutionary establishment. Some of the material is overstated nonsense some of the authors are bitterly hostile to all religion. I think this material should be read and then challenged completely. Just as I think it is very useful to study the heliocentric theory

Richard S.

Jared*,  12/17/2006 06:01:00 PM  

Richard,

I didn't see the bitterness that you did. Ken Miller, for example, is Roman Catholic.

As for propaganda, again, I don't know what you are referring to and I can only wonder if you would apply that label liberally to science publications.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP