Stewart Article in FARMS Review
I recently blogged on David Stewart's essay on DNA and the Book of Mormon, and expressed concern about elements of it. Today I see that it has been published in the latest FARMS Review. My quick look at it did not detect any editing differences from the FAIR version.
Stewart may make some good points, but I don't think FARMS has done itself any favors by publishing the essay in its present form.
By the way, Frank Salisbury also has two reviews dealing with evolution in this issue (here and here.)


2 comments:
I agree. I hadn't checked out the latest FARMS Review. That's interesting.
While I understand trying to make apologetics as broad as possible, it is simply wise to make part of apologetics getting people to understand some positions are very weak is important.
I personally think that much more than needing answers many members need "innoculated" by realizing that some folk doctrines not only aren't formal doctrines but are probably wrong. I think many crisis of faith could be prevented if people weren't simply believing these folk doctrines - or at least understanding their status.
I found Stewart's article somewhat refreshing, a nice contrast to what Austin Farrer called the "Munich school" of apologetics that will "always sell the pass in the belief that their position can be more happily defended from foothills to the rear".
The idea that many native Americans may have Lehi as an ancestor might possibly be wrong, but I fail to see how it's more dangerous than other ideas FARMS has no qualms about publicizing, like Abelardianism being the true Mormon doctrine of the Atonement, God lacking knowledge of the future, etc.
Post a Comment