Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Book of Mormon: Everything But the Timing

I'm late noticing this, but FAIR has posted a presentation given at its 2006 conference by David Stewart (a medical doctor) on the Book of Mormon--DNA issue. Stewart's basic thesis appears to be that the reason Native American genetics resemble that of Asians is because some of the Asians are actually descended from the lost tribes of Israel. Thus, Native Americans (through Lehi et al.) have a common ancestry with some Asians, rooted in Israel. Stewart therefore has no use for a limited geography model. However his own presentation contains elements that contradict him.

(My following comments should not be interpreted as disbelief in Book of Mormon historicity.)

Continue Reading



1. He acknowledges that the timing doesn't work (yet). This is because archeological and genetic evidence place the colonization of the Americas back around 15,000 years ago, and he is moving much of that up to 600 B.C.

2. He acknowledges that, based on mtDNA data, there has been genetic continuity from ancient Native Americans to today's. In other words, the common ancestry of mtDNA lineages in Native Americans and Asians appears to be genuinely ancient (although correspondingly ancient Asians have not been examined).

3. He argues that Jewish genetics have been so scrambled over the centuries that we should not expect to see direct correlation between Lamanite DNA and modern Jewish--or even Near Eastern--DNA. Yet at the same time his thesis requires that the genetics of the lost tribes have remained in tact enough that we can find correlation between it and Lamanite DNA. Do we have good reason to think such would be the case?

Stewart makes clear the timeframe that most scientists accept for the migration to America. Nevertheless the reader might be confused about the message of the quote from a paper by Mark Seielstad regarding "problems with early dating". In the paper they argue for a migration time of 15,000-18,000 years before present. This date is later than those proposed in some mtDNA studies (>20,000 years before present), and more in line with archeological and linguistic evidence. In this context 'later' and 'earlier' are relative terms that are still far removed from the time of Lehi, as Stewart correctly notes.

I couldn't help but notice this sentence: "To my knowledge, critics to date have not been able to generate a single peer-reviewed publication in a scientific journal on Book of Mormon DNA issues." I think Stewart is confused about where the burden of evidence lies at the moment. The scientific community--rightly or wrongly--understands Native American origins quite differently from what is told in the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon scenario must be on the scientific table before any serious journal is going to publish criticism of it. What Murphy and Southerton have done is to make the (somewhat) broader LDS community aware of the prevailing scientific view (with some accompanying polemics).

Finally, Stewart concludes:

There is still much we do not know about the genetics of ancient and modern populations, but careful study demonstrates that the teachings of LDS prophets are fully consistent with existing DNA data.
I agree with the first part of the sentence. It seems to me the second part--as he has argued for it--is only true if you grant some generous assumptions and ignore inconvenient evidence.

The genetic issue is a thorny one. In the face of uncomfortable data some abandon the Book of Mormon while others remain patient. Stewart's intent is to make room for faith, for which I commend him. Nevertheless I think his proposal faces significant hurdles. I would urge caution.

6 comments:

Clark Goble,  10/11/2006 03:11:00 AM  

Are you sure that's what he was asserting? I'll have to reread the paper. I didn't think he was suggesting anything akin to a Nephite first chronology. Quite the opposite.

Jared*,  10/11/2006 10:31:00 AM  

Clark,

It's possible that I am misunderstanding him, but I don't think so. Although he doesn't say it as pointedly as I have put it here, there are bits and pieces of it throughout. Below are section headings with example statements.

Alternative Theories: "While some claim that the DNA similarities between Native Americans, Mongolians, and Siberians discredit LDS teachings, I find just the opposite: the consistency between genetic data, history, scripture, and modern patriarchal blessings is remarkable. Current DNA studies provide no evidence that the haplogroups shared between these groups were found in Mongolia or Siberia before the dispersion of Israel....

My research into patriarchal lineage declarations has consistently found a strong correlation between specific tribal lineages and certain ethno-national groups, and so I consider these findings to be significant. While this does not offer any kind of scientific proof, it should open our minds to consider the possibility of a common origin for Native Americans and many modern Mongolians and Siberians outside of East Asia, perhaps in ancient Israel. One wonders if at least some elements of the genetics of these groups may not represent the genetics of ancient Israel better than modern Jewish populations which have extensively assimilated the genes of their neighbors."

Y Chromosome DNA (quoting someone else): "So M242 is found scattered just where you would expect it would be if legends of the 10 tribes escaping captivity by going north are true."

Dating the DNA: "The only part of the data that has not yet been explained in harmony with the Book of Mormon story is the timing. Many scientists date the genetic divergence of modern Native Americans as having arisen from migrations between 10,000 and 15,000 B.C, rather than shortly after 600 B.C. as stated in the Book of Mormon account."

Clark Goble,  10/11/2006 11:36:00 AM  

I reread parts of the paper and I think you're right.

Wow.

I posted something to the FAIR list discussing this issue. To me this is very counterproductive to apologetics.

Clark Goble,  10/11/2006 11:55:00 AM  

Just a note. Some folks over at the FAIR internal mailing lists pointed out that at the FAIR forum in the pundits section there's a debate over Stewart's paper. You'll have to login to see it. Note that the pundits section is by invitation only to post. It's mainly to enable slow moving debate by the principles in major issues.

Clark Goble,  10/11/2006 12:09:00 PM  

Whoops. I meant to add that Stewart clarifies his position and it's just that he doesn't feel that DNA invalidates either the HGT or the LGT. It sounds like Stewart himself favors the LGT and was just trying to make his argument as broad as possible. (Note that I've not had time to read the entire thread - so this is just based upon Stewart's first post)

My personal feeling is that it is a strategic mistake for apologists to defend the HGT in any way as it is simply impossible to reconcile to the full evidence.

Jared*,  10/11/2006 06:50:00 PM  

Clark,

Thanks for the added information.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP