Providential Plants: The Ridiculous
This video clip from a creationist video co-hosted by Kirk Cameron (of Growing Pains fame) has been making its way around the internet. In the moments preceeding the clip, the other host outlines a scenario where a soda can came into existence via natural and random forces, and then says that to think such a thing is an insult to intelligence. Then he give us the "athiest's nightmare":
Continue Reading
In case you were unable to watch the clip, here is a summary. The banana shows evidence of design because:
1. It fits well in the hand.
2. It has a non-slick peel.
3. It has a color scheme to let you know when it is ripe.
4. The peel has a tab and perforations allowing for easy removal, and it hangs gracefully over the hand. Oh, and it is biodegradable.
5. The banana has a pointed end for "ease of entry," is the right size for the human mouth, and is curved toward you.
6. It is chewy and easily digested.
This argument is silly enough on its own, but to top it off the banana he is holding (and that we are most familiar with) is a domesticated type--wild bananas are tough and full of seeds (or so I understand). Evidently the banana needed some human-selected improvement before it became such a powerful witness to God's genius.
Is God glorified by this?
(If you are so inclined, you can watch the whole video here.)


7 comments:
Jared*: Here you are fighting a losing battle. Kirk Cameron is just way too dreamy. I'm really enjoying this series.
(totally unrelated: what are your plans for the Blogger Beta switch? I see everyone else moving over, and the deadline is "looming." You have a lot of user-edited code on this nice blog of yours....)
BrianJ,
I'm glad to hear that you've enjoyed them. I'm sorry to say that I don't have any more Providential Plants posts planned (excuse the alliteration).
As for Blogger Beta, maybe we have different information but my understanding is that I'm supposed to wait until I get a link on my dashboard inviting me to move, and so far I have not gotten that link. I know that I could go ahead and start on beta and later merge with this blog, but I think I would rather move it all at once.
Provide people with more Providential Plants posts, pretty please. (Actually, I think you've covered the topic quite well, and I can't think of anything to add.)
Continuing Beta-jack: You do not run a beta and an original at the same time; you _switch_ to beta and the old blog is no more. And yes, you can wait for the "invite", and maybe that's best: When you move to beta, your whole blog goes---the posts, comments, archives. Well, almost everything: you lose all your code (eg. recent comments, 3 columns, recent posts) and even all your links (like your sidebar). So all of the nice formatting you have done will have to be redone. And I can't figure out the new code they use (widgits? what's that?).
Jared*:
Having lived in the philippines, I did want to clarify that that is not a "domesticated banana". There are actually multiple types of bananas naturally in the wild. (I think there are at least 20 plus types where I served my mission in the philippines. The difference in the types is mainly in flavor (Many are quite bitter), color (sum turn red when ripe), consistency (some are softer, some are not as soft as the american variety), and size when ripe (ranges from the size of your thumb to the size of your arm, in my experience). The Smaller they are whe they are ripe, typically the sweeter they are.
While American Bananas maybe some sort of hybrid which is engineered, I can not confirm that.
I can only say Bananas are not full on big seeds...
Matt W.
I should add that this doesn't mean there aren't seeds in bananas, because obviously, fruits have seeds. I would suspect that there was some human engineering involved in limiting the seeds or getting rid of them. It would have to be some non-technical method though, as everyone in the philippines has their own banana tree.
Matt W.
I don't think this is from a creationist video. I think it's a light-hearted interlude in Cameron and Comfort's regular TV show about evangelization. Certainly not worth getting one's panties in a wad over, unless one absolutely, positively can't tolerate the idea that there's a God who put man on Earth that he might have joy.
Matt W.,
Thanks for the info; I've never lived where bananas grow. I was basing my comments, at least in part, on the wikipedia entry for bananas.
Chris,
This post was also intended to be light-hearted. As for my panties...
Post a Comment