Friday, January 27, 2006

Bias in the Brain

The New York Times has an article that describes research on brain activity and politics. (For MSNBC coverage, see here.)

Using M.R.I. scanners, neuroscientists have now tracked what happens in the politically partisan brain when it tries to digest damning facts about favored candidates or criticisms of them. The process is almost entirely emotional and unconscious, the researchers report, and there are flares of activity in the brain's pleasure centers when unwelcome information is being rejected. ...

In 2004, the researchers recruited 30 adult men who described themselves as committed Republicans or Democrats. The men, half of them supporters of President Bush and the other half backers of Senator John Kerry, earned $50 to sit in an M.R.I. machine and consider several statements in quick succession.

The first was a quote attributed to one of the two candidates: either a remark by Mr. Bush in support of Kenneth L. Lay, the former Enron chief, before he was indicted, or a statement by Mr. Kerry that Social Security should be overhauled. Moments later, the participants read a remark that showed the candidate reversing his position. The quotes were doctored for maximum effect but presented as factual.

The Republicans in the study judged Mr. Kerry as harshly as the Democrats judged Mr. Bush. But each group let its own candidate off the hook. ...

Researchers have long known that political decisions are strongly influenced by unconscious emotional reactions, a fact routinely exploited by campaign consultants and advertisers. But the new research suggests that for partisans, political thinking is often predominantly emotional.

It is possible to override these biases, Dr. Westen said, "but you have to engage in ruthless self reflection, to say, 'All right, I know what I want to believe, but I have to be honest.' "

My opinion: I imagine these results apply to a wide range of topics--especially religion. For heaven's sake, how many conversations revolve around contradictions (real or alleged) in scripture--especially when the conversation is between people of different denominations?

It also seems plausible to me that in trying to escape one bias, you can easily run into the arms of another. Next to turning into a vulcan, perhaps the best we can do is try to identify our biases and understand their roots.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  1/28/2006 11:52:00 AM  

Excellent. Interesting what they can do with brain scans now, isn't it?

I have long suspected that people whose attitudes and beliefs oppose mine are simply being irrational and emotional. Now I have conclusive proof . . .

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP