Thursday, March 24, 2005

IMAX: Culture Wars in 3-D

I'm late getting to this but this news article reminded me of the issue. Apparently there are IMAX theaters in the south that have decided not to show the film "Volcanoes of the Deep Sea." The reason is that they are afraid that references to evolution in the film will result in poor ticket sales.

I haven't seen the film so I don't know how extensive the discussion of evolution is. However the reason for the reference is that there are microbes that live in some of the most inhospitable places on earth, including deep sea vents. Some scientists think that given the inhospitable place the earth used to be, maybe these microbes hold clues to the development of life on earth. I guess this drew complaints from test-screening audiences.

Well, what can I say? It's the free-market system at work. I can't blame the theater owners for worrying about their bottom line. At least the public schools still teach science...

1 comments:

Clark Goble 3/31/2005 03:25:00 PM  

Interesting investigation which suggests that the above story is at best misleading journalism. (Whether that is so or not is an other matter)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP