Thursday, March 24, 2005

Approach to the Masculine

[This topic has explosive potential, but I wan to raise it anyway. My purpose is to ask questions rather than give answers. Nothing in my post should be interpreted as pertaining to specific situations and circumstances, nor should it be interpreted as excusing sin or casting judgment.]

Recently my bishop decided that we would devote one of our priesthood lessons to Pres. Hinckely's talk from last conference dealing with p0rn0graphy. The Relief Society, instead, were to use the 13th Article of Faith as the basis for their lesson. I couldn't help but wonder if women should be excused from discussions of this issue. (None of this should be construed as criticism of my bishop--I think he does a great job.)

Continue Reading


This approach seems to carry a subtle message: sexual interest is a male problem and it's wrong. ("We're sorry, dear sisters, that your husbands are so carnal and devilish. Their interest in sexuality clearly runs counter to the gospel message. We're whacking them on the knuckles for it again--hopefully they'll get the message. You sisters are as pure as spring flowers and we hope you'll continue in your virtuous ways.")

Now I don't dispute that we men need some whacks to the knuckles from time to time. Some need them often. But I want to dig a little deeper. What is it about the male brain that makes it so susceptible to this problem? Is the circuitry in the brain responsible for this a product of pathology and only detrimental, or is it possible that it can be used in good ways? What things can wives do to help bind their husbands to them?

Pres. Hinckley's talk last conference included part of a letter from a woman whose husband had this addiction. She said, "All I ever wanted was to feel cherished and treated with the smallest of pleasantries . . . instead of being treated like some kind of chattel." Getting men to understand and remember what women want is a huge challenge. Maybe we should talk about it in our lessons more. But is there something that men want that is going unfulfilled and contributes their development of this problem?

In The Miracle of Forgiveness, Pres. Kimball makes the point that Jesus recognized that sin was often a symptom of deeper unmet needs. Of course sex is part of the issue, but it is more than that. Emotional and intimacy issues are involved. Can these be addressed in a way that minimizes, as much as possible, the risk for men? Is it possible that in trying to get men to behave, masculinity has been denigrated in the process and as a result neither men nor women understand what the legitimate needs of men are? Yes, men need to exercise self-control, but are there things that women need to do? If there are, should they hear about it in Relief Society?

I don't know what light science (both the hard and social) can shed on the problem, but to the extent that there is any I think we ought to discuss it. Let's understand what makes us tick. LDS Social Services has professional counseling for this addiction, but the only real advice that most of us hear is "don't touch it." It seems to me that the more men and women understand what's going on in the psychological roots, the better they can address this issue.

3 comments:

Clark Goble 3/24/2005 08:57:00 PM  

I think the traditional stereotype is that men have the part of the brain that deals with sex overlapping part of the brain dealing with vision. Thus we're more visually stimulated. While there's obviously some biological truth to that, things can get more complicated. Women are becoming consumers of "visually oriented" pornography more and more. Further there has always been the literary female equivalent in harlequin romances and the like. Those can distort a relationship just as much as pornography can for a man.

Having said that though, I think that within the church, primarily because of socialization, the problem is not that big for women while it is huge for men - especially due to the ease and anonymousness of it with the internet. Once you had to actively seek it out and risk "exposure." Now you don't. That clearly changes the economics of it. Thus the increase.

But anyone who says it doesn't have an effect is lying (IMO). At the same time I do think it gets overstated a bit at times. (I think the same of warnings abotu drug use too) Generally those who go overboard and become self-destructive are a small minority with either drugs or other social ills. We just notice those people. But of course it is playing Russian Roulette to say that it couldn't happen to us.

Anonymous,  3/25/2005 01:42:00 PM  

Great comment Clark. On of my close friends lost his wife to romance novels and is consequently bitter every time he heres the "Brethren, stop useing pr0n" talk.

NFlanders 3/25/2005 03:50:00 PM  

Not to threadjack, but I have to ask: How can you lose your wife to romance novels?
Back on topic: I think that the (over) emphasis on this particular evil exacerbates the problem. If you tell someone over and over that something is addictive, they will probably prove you right.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP