Thursday, June 29, 2006

Utah Geology

I'm going to be visiting Utah soon and while I'm there I hope to teach myself some geology. A nice resource to help me is the Utah Geologic Survey. There is a wealth of information on the website for a novice like me.

There's lots of information on the geologic history of Utah (such as the formation of Lake Bonneville and the Great Salt Lake), as well as information on dinosaurs, fossils, minerals, and rocks. Another page has information on geologic sites including a walking tour of downtown Salt Lake City to see the different types of rocks used in construction, and a driving tour that starts at the bottom of Parley's Canyon, goes up over Guardsman Pass, and down Big Cottonwood Canyon.

I doubt I'll have time to see all I want to--and of course I get interested after I lived there, but I'm sure I'll have many opportunities to go back. If you are at all interested in Utah geology, you need to give the website a look.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP