A Conservative Approach to Environmental Problems
Jonathan Adler is a conservative-leaning law professor, who works on environmental issues. Last month he was invited to do a series of guest-posts at The Atlantic on conservative approaches to environmental issues [1]. I don't usually advocate for particular environmental policies on this blog, nor am I doing so here. However, since most environmental policies have a strong regulatory component administered by the federal government, and are therefore often viewed as 'liberal,' I thought it would be worth highlighting ideas from someone on the more conservative side. Adler argues that
the embrace of limited government principles need not entail the denial of environmental claims and that a concern for environmental protection need not lead to an ever increasing mound of prescriptive regulation.The core of his argument involves a greater focus on property rights, and I think he makes a number of fine suggestions. I think it would be wonderful if voices like his could gain greater currency in the marketplace of ideas (and politics). This passage nicely encapsulates the bottom line.
Environmental problems are difficult, and typically defy easy solution. Though I believe in property-based solutions to many (if not most) environmental problems, the viability of such approaches should not be oversold. At the same time, the environmental limitations of property rights and markets should not be overstated, particularly in comparison to the viable regulatory alternatives. In environmental policy we rarely have the option of pursuing a clearly identifiable "ideal" approach. Rather, our choice comes from the collection of second-best (and third-best, fourth-best, etc.). The question is not which approach is perfect, but which approach is better (or not as bad) as the others.
Property Rights and the Tragedy of the Commons
Property Rights and Fishery Conservation
How Property Rights Could Help Save the Environment
Is Washington, D.C., Really the Environment's Savior?
A Conservative's Approach to Combating Climate Change
Notes:
1. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how to define a conservative approach, since this year's conservative idea can be rejected as next year's totalitarianism (see cap-and-trade, individual mandate). As Adler was wrapping up his series of posts the House stopped NOAA from expanding its catch shares program, leading Ronald Bailey (of the libertarian Reason Magazine) to opine, "If it's not the Democrats screwing up policy, it's the Republicans - that's bipartisanship for you!"


0 comments:
Post a Comment