Saturday, January 22, 2011

John Walton Ancient Cosmology Lecture

Earlier this month I reviewed John Walton's The Lost World of Genesis One. Today I happened to come across an hour-long lecture by Walton that lays out his major arguments. It's audio only, but all six parts are embedded below. So if you don't want to get the book, you can get a good sense of it by spending an hour listening to him.

On a side note, both in the book and lecture, Walton said that a Hebrew word translated as "mind" is actually a reference to entrails or intestines. Anybody know what the Hebrew word is (preferably with an example from the Old Testament)?
















7 comments:

Ben,  1/23/2011 12:31:00 PM  

I'm not at home, and don't have access to much at the moment, but check out various translations of Psalm 7:9 and see if you can find a copy of Bible Review "Did the Israelites have a heart?"

Jared*,  1/23/2011 11:03:00 PM  

Thanks, Ben. I see that you've previously discussed the reins issue--and I even commented (or tried to). Sheesh.

The Bible Review article requires a subscription, but I think I found a re-print of it in this book.

Anthony E. Larson,  1/24/2011 01:29:00 AM  

Why concern yourself with Walton's views? Isn't he a Christian minister? Didn't the Lord warn Joseph Smith away from such? So why offer sectarian error to your fellow Saints? If you want to know the truth, consult Joseph Smith's take on ancient cosmology. Wouldn't that be more prudent? Oh, you didn't know he had one? Well, he did, and it's vastly more informative and inspiring than Walton's take ... and more correct, too, I'll venture. (www.mormonprophecy.com)

Jared*,  1/24/2011 06:00:00 PM  

Anthony,

Walton's arguments dovetail with LDS beliefs in some interesting ways, as I previously explained.

SteveP,  1/25/2011 10:32:00 PM  

Jared* I just finished Walton's book. I'm so glad you recommended it. Absolutely it is so relevant to LDS thought it is striking. I've got a post coming on it too. Claiming the Genesis account an ancient temple ceremony has starting me rethinking theology. Also, in the book Walton's take down of ID, coming from a evangelical Christian, was brilliant. I can't tell you how grateful I am you brought this book to LDS readers. Well done!!!!

P.S. I just had my class read the first two chapters. They were as struck as I was, I think.

Jared*,  1/25/2011 10:58:00 PM  

Steve,

I'm gratified that you enjoyed the book, too. I can't wait to read your take on it!

Ben,  1/26/2011 10:25:00 AM  

Steve, check out Peter Enns' book as well, Evangelicals and the Problem of hte Old Testament. It applies equally to Mormons. Enns was trained at Harvard in Hebrew Bible.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP