The First Man
[This is part of a series of posts I initiated with Book of Mormon Scholarship as an Elias for Evolution.]
It's time to wrap up this series. Any attempt within LDS circles to accommodate human history as revealed by science must sooner or later deal with the following fact: the scriptures refer to Adam as the 'first man' several times. In my opinion the most important one is the one most often quoted--Moses 3:7--so we will concentrate on it.
Moses 3:6-8
6 But I, the Lord God, spake, and there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.The first thing to notice is the strange choice of wording. The reference to 'man' is rather generic. God "formed man," and "man became a living soul, "the first man." Why doesn't it use the name of Adam, or refer to the man, as it does in the next verse? This oddity may or may not have any relevance to the overall discussion, but it is worth noting.
7 And I, the Lord God, formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul, the first flesh upon the earth, the first man also; nevertheless, all things were before created; but spiritually were they created and made according to my word.
8 And I, the Lord God, planted a garden eastward in Eden, and there I put the man whom I had formed.
One other thing should be noted up front. This passage from the Book of Moses comes from Joseph Smith's revision of the Bible--the 'Joseph Smith Translation' (JST). Although some parts of the JST are entirely original material, it is clear that this passage is grounded in the Biblical (KJV) text. I don't think it out of bounds to suggest that this passage may reflect Joseph's understanding based on Biblical tradition more than the actual words of God. In Joseph's day, it was obvious that Adam was the 'first man,' so it seems unlikely that this passage was intended to bear such theological weight as it has now come to. However, many people would undoubtedly reject this idea, and I'm not ready to defend it, so I won't press it further.
One popular way of dealing with this passage is to play with the meaning of the word 'man.' The usual argument is that although there were many anatomically modern humans on the planet, the first 'man' was the one into whom God put a spirit that was one of his spirit children. I don't like this argument and I don't think it really solves any problems. In fact I think it actually creates potential for racism. I mention it simply because it is popular.
Alternatively, we can focus on the meaning of the word 'first.' Sterling Talmage, son of Apostle James E. Talmage, argued as follows [1]:
Such use of "first," as indicating preeminence instead of chronological precedence, is well established as an acceptable idiom in other languages as well as English. This usage does not lack other scriptural warrant; for instance, the firstling of the flocks, demanded for the Mosaic sacrifices, were the finest of the lambs not the oldest of the rams.Talmage's argument has real-world support. In a post from a couple of years ago I pointed out that someone once referred to Galielo as "the first man in the world," something that may sound strange to our ears but clearly did not denote chronology. I also suggested that Henry Eyring seemed to have an alternative meaning in mind when he wrote, "Adam was the one whom God recognized as presiding over the first dispensation and as such, with Eve his wife, became our first parents."
With this thought in mind, it has always seemed to me that the expression quoted, designating Adam as the "first flesh upon the earth, the first man also," was simply the fulfillment of the fiat in the preceding chapter regarding the preeminence of man among created beings: "Let them have dominion over the fishes of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth."
On the other hand, a lineage history has to start with someone, and that someone would necessarily be the chronologically first person in the story. It seems clear that the prophets of the scriptures really did think Adam and Eve were the first people (chronologically) on Earth. What reason would they--or Joseph Smith, for that matter--have to think otherwise? None, unless God told them so.
This brings us to a third option--that the creation scriptures serve a purpose other than science and history. The statement that 'man' became "the first flesh upon the earth, the first man also," comes in the midst of a largely figurative story, and within the confines of the story it makes perfect sense. It was only following scientific discoveries, and in retrospect, that the statement and its meaning became significant. But what if God did not intend the statement to be universally definitive? What if his purpose was more literary, helping to tell a story sufficient for the Israelites' needs (such as explaining what made them and their God superior to the surrounding empires)? I'm reminded of the words of Aslan in The Horse and His Boy, by C.S. Lewis.
"Child," said the Voice, "I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own."
Returning to the figurative nature of the story, the very same verse says that God "formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life," something that even Joseph Fielding Smith and Bruce R. McConkie did not take literally [2]. It seems fair to question whether such micro-dissection of the text--dividing a single verse between literal and figurative--is warranted.To summarize the argument sketched out in this series of posts: Just as science has required us to re-evaluate the popular understanding of the scope of the Book of Mormon, it also requires us to re-evaluate the place of Adam and Eve in human history. As far as we know, Adam was the first prophet and holder of the priesthood. The story of Adam and Eve and their descendants is a lineage history. As such, it ignores those who lived before or contemporaneously with Adam because, as far as the gospel (and Israelite superiority) is concerned, the story begins with him. Scriptures that indicate that Adam and Eve were the first humans can often be interpreted in alternative ways that are still consistent with scripture. Others can be attributed to the cultural context of the writers. Further, the early chapters of Genesis/Moses contain occasional odd elements that may hint at the presence of outsiders.
I enjoyed writing this series. I hope it was enjoyable to read and found to be useful.
Notes:
1. Sterling Talmage, Can Science Be Faith-Promoting?, p. 168-169
2. The meaning of 'first flesh' is also problematic, something I will take up in a post outside of this series.


12 comments:
Very interesting series Jared*. I appreciated each post.
What about this verse-
16 And from Enoch to Abel, who was slain by the conspiracy of his brother, who received the priesthood by the commandments of God, by the hand of his father Adam, who was the first man—
(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:16)
Personally i think that the scriptures don't leave any room for Adam not being the first human being. There are lots of fairytales about this or that spirit and the like but there really is no proof from a scriptural perspective that There was a long chain of humans before Adam and Eve rolled onto the scene. The words found in Moses actually help clarify Genesis telling us specifically that Adam was the first of all creations to have life.
rob osborn
Jared*:
Thanks for your thoughts on these issues.
Sitting in my university office are thirteen precise replicas of ancient and not-so-ancient hominid skulls, covering a span of 6 million years. As I deeply study those beautiful skulls and see before me the major evolutionary transitions, I find myself paying homage to Adam & Eve.
I believe in the patriarch Adam & the matron we call Eve. For me, their lives symbolically represented the physical ("fallen") nature of the world, symbolically represented the common biological relationship of all humans, and symbolically represented the nature of our moral challenges, necessitating an atonement.
For me, our LDS theology does not change whether one accepts evolutionary accounts or rejects them. Like all Latter-day Saints, I find myself renewed with temple worship and also by partaking of the sacrament. At those moments, all scientific debates vanish and become irrelevant.
For me, there is NO greater knowledge than the gospel of Christ. But, as I stare at those skulls in my office, I find solace in the fact that Latter-day Saints embrace all truth -- even the truths of ancient fossils.
Here's my take. Start with three premises: (1) The theory of evolution is correct, (2) "man" (and only "man") is accountable before God for his or her actions, and (3) accountability is the product of genetic factors regulating brain size and/or structure. At some point in the evolutionary process, the first being whose genetic makeup facilitated accountability must have emerged. Call that being Adam, the first "man". It is entirely plausible that everyone now alive is descended from that Adam. This scenario allows Adam to assume his scriptural role, but does not require him to be the first Homo Sapiens, nor does it require him to be the only being of his generation from whom we are descended.
Jared, this as been such a thoughtful and well thought-out (and well-written)series.
I like the first section of the D&C where it says:
"Behold, I am God and have spoken it; these commandments are of me, and were given unto my servants in their weakness, after the manner of their language, that they might come to understanding." D&C 1:24
I think that language extends to cultural as well as spoken language. I cannot imagine the Lord dumping all of modern evolutionary thought onto prophets of the early 19th century, anymore than we can expect Pres. Monson to suddenly start giving us the scientific findings of the 22and Century. I think that is why its important our cannon be open. We often claim that we believe that there are new things to be revealed, but some want the cannon closed and for us to hold onto old science and old interpretations long past when they can be easily dismissed. It is the same mindset that refused to let go of polygamy when it was reveled that it should change. To ignore the cannon written in the Earth is the same kind of mistake.
I really like what you've done here. Keep up the excellent work.
Jared*
Thanks for the posts. Like S Faux, I spent some time this week in the Hall of Human Origins at the Smithsonian handling casts of hominid skulls. The vast array of skulls on display ranging from very old, small brain cavity, large jaw bones to modern humans with large brain cavities and other very noticeable differences, it is difficult to conceive of any thinking person denying their place in human history. It may be difficult for some to let go of a custom tailored, tidy and neat creation story, but the scientific facts are undeniable.
Jared*, some of my thoughts about the first man are posted here.
I think this is especially interesting in light of recent evidence that there was a certain amount of breeding between Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens. Even if we have Adam magically appear ex nihilo, we still have to deal with the fuzzy boundary between man and beast.
I think we will find that some combination of that last two options is the correct solution.
Thanks for the comments, all.
You know, I have seen lot's of drawings of how man evolved from a monkey like animal but have never seen any scientific proof that we came from them. You would think that if science was stating it as fact that they would have some kind of scientific evidence as proof that we evolved from animals.
Instead all we have are bone fragments that look similar to both a monkey and a human. For that matter- monkeys of the modern type have a lot of similarities. The problem I see is this- There are lots of missing links that show up but most if not all are just considered to be a common ancestor and not a true direct parent of our race- but therein lies the problem- how would one determine that we are related?
For all we know, our great ancestors came to a planet of the apes- what we now call earth, and killed off all the apes and established their own human civilization in its place.
Now of course that would be ridiculous, but then again- so is saying that we evolved from animals of which there is no scientific proof.
rob osborn.
Rob,
Please read, at a minimum, Why Evolution is True, by Jerry Coyne and Relics of Eden, by Daniel Fairbanks. Preferably you should also read The Greatest Show on Earth, by Richard Dawkins.
Otherwise, please quit pontificating about the lack of evidence.
What I said is the truth and it seems the truth bothers people. Admit for once that the connection between a skull fragment and our human race is complete conjecture.
rob osborn.
Post a Comment