BioLogos
If you haven't taken the time to look around BioLogos yet, you should. The BioLogos Foundation was founded by Francis Collins, the former head of the government's contribution to the human genome project, and current head of the National Institutes of Health. The organization is dedicated to helping bridge the divide between science and religion. BioLogos largely reflects an evangelical Christian point of view, and so it's probably best described as a Christian-theistic view of of science. However, it rejects creationism of both young and old-earth types, as well as Intelligent Design.
I'm not particularly informed on the who's-who of religious scholarship, but it looks to me like they've got some quality people contributing content. For example, Peter Enns (whose book, Inspiration and Incarnation I discussed here) has been an active participant.
In the year that it has existed so far, BioLogos has been at the center of at least two controversies. First, Francis Collins was criticized for mixing science and religion, especially after he was nominated to head the NIH. Perhaps in response, Collins resigned from the organization when his government job began. On the broader issue of mixing science and religion, I have some sympathy with the critics--I do think that Collins makes scientifically indefensible statements from time to time. However, based on what I've seen so far, my opinion is that the general criticism is too harsh. I think most of the material is true to the scholarship from which it is drawn.
The second controversy revolved around the resignation of Old Testament scholar Bruce Waltke from Reformed Theological Seminary. Waltke gave an interview that was posted on BioLogos wherein he said that mainstream Christianity is going to have to come to terms with evolution. Apparently his public acceptance of evolution was too much for the seminary. He initially asked BioLogos to remove the video--while reaffirming its content--and BioLogos complied. But I guess the cat was out of the bag, so to speak, and Waltke resigned.
I plan on drawing attention to some of their content in future posts, but in the meantime go have a look around at BioLogos.


7 comments:
I wish we had this level of scholarship on the science and religion issues available to the LDS general public.
I follow the site regularly and am quite impressed.
If there is internet acess in the celestail kingdom I am sure that James E. Talmage, John A. Widsote and Henry Eyring Sr. follow the blog regularly.
Awesome. Hey, have any LDS scientists tried to join the ranks of BioLogos? Just curious. Maybe there could be a space for this type of discussion in Mormonism yet!
I've been impressed with them as well. I do wish LDS culture (LDS scholars, Deseret Book, GC, etc.) were more willing to engage in this kind of thing.
If you liked Enns' book, check out John Walton's Lost World of Genesis One.
I also wish we had this level of engagement. Small steps.
Tod,
I doubt Mormons would be welcome at BioLogos.
Ben S.,
Thanks for the recommendation. I've had my eye on that book for a while now. Your comment just might tip the balance.
What has Colllins said that was unscientific?
From what I gather Biologos is rather small. And one would have to accept the Nicene Creed in order to join ASA.
2.5,
I'm sorry I don't have a list handy, but here and here are quick examples.
I've also heard Collins' segment on Point of Inquiry. Collins was making a philosophical, not scientific argument. If morality constitutes nothing more than a Darwinian misfiring, there is no basis for obeying our moral impulses.
Post a Comment