Taking Joseph and Brigham's Advice with Genesis
I have a key by which I understand the scriptures. I enquire, what was the question which drew out the answer or caused Jesus to utter the parable? -- Joseph Smith
Do you read the Scriptures, my brethren and sisters, as though you were writing them a thousand, two thousand, or five thousand years ago? Do you read them as though you stood in the place of the men who wrote them? -- Brigham Young
Biblical inerrancy is a Christian doctrine that Mormons have always rejected. However, in practice we sometimes replace biblical inerrancy with our own brand of prophetic inerrancy, especially when it comes to Joseph Smith's revelations. This puts us in a similarly uncomfortable position as that of evangelical Christians when scientific, historical, archaeological, linguistic, textual--whatever--evidence clashes with scripture. A number of evangelical Christian scholars argue that the key to resolving at least some of these tensions is to realize that (i) God accommodates himself to our level of understanding, and (ii) that things that make sense in an ancient culture/worldview may not make sense in ours.
An introduction to this approach to scripture is Inspiration and Incarnation (2005), by Peter Enns. I learned of the book from a post at FAIR Blog, where it was highly recommended. Enns uses an analogy to the incarnation of Jesus: just as Jesus was both human and divine, so the Bible is both a work of humans and inspired. He then applies this analogy to three Biblical difficulties: (i) similarities between the Old Testament and broader ancient Near Eastern culture and literature, (ii) theological diversity within the Old Testament, and (iii) the use and interpretation of the Old Testament in the New Testament. Enns clearly believes in the divinity of the Bible, but apparently his suggestion that the Bible bears marks of humanity was too much. In 2008 he was forced to leave his 15-year professorship at Westminster Theological Seminary.
There are several things that one should know about the world of the ancient Near East--the world in which the ancient Israelites lived. First, their view of the cosmos was something like this [1]:

If the ancient Israelites and their neighbors thought of such expressions as "pillars of the earth" or "windows of heaven" as exclusively figurative, as we do, they apparently did not indicate it.
Other things to know include:
- The ancient Israelites were surrounded by polytheism, where elements of nature were considered gods that were related to one another in various genealogies. Compared to the gods of the surrounding mighty empires, Yahweh was considered a small and insignificant tribal god.
- Other ancient Near Eastern creation myths have similar elements to that of Genesis, including overcoming chaos, division into seven periods, and resting at the end.
- In some Near Eastern creation myths humans are created as slaves to serve the gods.
- In addition to their numeric value, numbers also served symbolic purposes in ancient cultures.
Tie these things together and you can begin to see how the scriptural creation accounts deal with very different issues than we think of. For more information I recommend the resources below. Unfortunately, these issues seem to have largely gone untouched by LDS scholars. The few that I know of are noted.
Further Reading:
First let me highlight some of my own blog posts. I suggest reading all of my scriptural concordism posts, but especially see Genesis in Context and Rejecting Concordism.
Books:
Inspiration and Incarnation: Evangelicals and the Problem of the Old Testament, by Peter Enns. The book only spends a couple of pages on Genesis and creation. It is really more focused on developing the general argument.
The Meaning of Creation: Genesis and Modern Science, by Conrad Hyers. Actually I haven't read this book yet; it's in the mail. But if his writings available on the internet (see below) are any indication, it should be well worth reading.
Jehovah and the World of the Old Testament, by Richard Neitzel Holzapfel, Dana M. Pike, and David Rolph Seely. This recent book published by Deseret Book describes the context of the Old Testament with LDS sensitivities. For the purposes here, its value is in background information. It does not synthesize the information in the same way as the other listed sources do.
Online Articles:
Creation according to Genesis: Literary Genre, Cultural Context, Theological Truth (PDF), by Daniel Harlow, professor of religion at Calvin College. This is a very nice treatment of the above issues. If you read nothing else, read this.
by Conrad Hyers:
Biblical Literalism: Constricting the Cosmic Dance
The Fall and Rise of Creationism
Dinosaur Religion: On Interpreting and Misinterpreting the Creation Texts
The Narrative Form of Genesis 1: Cosmogonic, Yes; Scientific, No
Comparing Biblical and Scientific Maps of Origins
LDS:
Adam's Navel, by Keith Norman. Originally published in Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought Vol. 21, No. 2, Summer 1988.
[1] A Mormon Midrash? LDS Creation Narratives Reconsidered, by Anthony Hutchinson in Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought Vol. 21, No. 4, Winter 1988.


11 comments:
Jared*:
Thanks for this thought provoking essay and all the remarkable links.
It is nice to be reminded that the ancient Hebrews had their own agenda and needs. They were battling sun worship, and therefore their texts needed to diminish the sun as a mere created object. They were battling a universe of polytheism. Etc. Genesis had a message that was relevant to those ancient needs.
I think it is a huge mistake to perceive Genesis as an anti-evolution document. It is not, and the ancient Hebrews had no such concern.
I believe in continuous revelation, just as I believe in expanded knowledge in science. Thus, it is a mistake to lock ourselves into archaic religious ideas that are probably misconceptions of the ancient mind anyway.
The problem with this is how are the Scriptures of worth if they were written for a different people at a different time? Can us "moderns" gain any insights or does it all become trivialities? I take it from the quotes of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, and their examples, that we are supposed to learn spiritual truths by this approach. Not just history lessons.
Thanks, S.Faux.
Jettboy,
I think you're setting up a false dichotomy. I don't understand a lot of the symbolism in the book of Revelations, nor do I understand much of the context of Isaiah. But that doesn't make them worthless; I get their general message, I think. Further, it seems undeniable to me that the Old and New Testaments were, in fact, written for a different people of a different time. After all, Paul was writing to his ancient contemporaries, not us.
Jared* thanks for this. I find greater depth in the scriptures because I understand that they are not scientific texts describing a modern scientific understanding. When we stop trying to read them as literal descriptions we begin to ask the right questions about their purpose in meaning. So much time has been wasted trying to wrest them into what they were never meant to be, that their depth and wisdom has been all but ignored in the simplistic surface readings that try to claim something scientific from them. I love Genesis and am glad people are moving away from these mistaken uses.They are rich with meaning and spiritual lessons about our relationship with the Lord. It's funny (odd) when people suggest that they are worthless or trivial when we strip from Genesis its scientific uses. On the contrary, when we really get to the text, richness and depth open that were never possible to see when our eyes were focused on the surface details where the real trivialities have been touted. Well done as always Jared*.
Earth's creator showed it to Moses, "yea, even all of it; and there was not a particle of it which [Moses} did not behold" (Moses 1:27) and Genesis is a record of what Moses saw. Parts of Genesis were lost or changed but we have other books of scripture besides the Bible. Because of the Book of Moses and the Joseph Smith Translation we trust Genesis and they, not science, correct it.
This is the point of view found in this year's Old Testament Gospel Doctrine Teacher's Manual.
Gary,
I think the text makes it clear that Moses chapter 2 is a dictated account, not a vision. But either way, the point of the accommodation/worldview argument is that both Genesis and science are correct in their own way.
Speaking of the OT teacher's manual, I like this part from the Creation lesson:
"Ask class members to consider how much information they would give if they were trying to answer one of the following questions for a preschool child: How does an airplane stay in the air? How does a television set work? How do plants grow? Most of us would consider the understanding of a preschool child and give only general concepts, leaving the details until a child becomes more mature.
How are these examples like the Lord’s revelations about the Creation? (The Lord has revealed only that portion of eternal truth that our mortal minds can understand and that we need to know to gain salvation.)?"
Jared*, the questions are similar to those I've read elsewhere. But the answer is different. In this manual, it was because he was writing for "mortal minds" (all of our minds are mortal, even today) and not because he was addressing backward Hebrews that Moses recorded an unscientific account of the Creation.
"Because of the Book of Moses and the Joseph Smith Translation we trust Genesis and they, not science, correct it."
That appears to be your summary, not the actual lesson text, yes?
"I think the text makes it clear that Moses chapter 2 is a dictated account, not a vision."
It strongly implies the text is dictated, but I find that highly problematic and contradicted by statements from very conservative others (such as Robert Matthews) on the process and method of producing the Book of Moses. It's also not consistent with what we know of the JST from elsewhere.
I think it all comes down to faith. Is that not what true science is all about? We do not know it all and there is so much more to learn and discover. We discover, experiment through faith, through trial and error. When you watch a baby learn to walk that baby tests his/her boundaries and learns from the mistakes. I do not understand how cell phones work, but I know that when I push talk and enter a phone number I can talk to someone that I do not see. I think one of the most important things that we can learn from Genesis is not how or even exactly when God created the Earth, but that He created it for us, his children and a very profound truth that we are created in his image. The world is much different in some ways than it was in the times of ancient Israel, but aren't we as humans fighting the same battles? Do we have as much trouble recognizing the Messiah today as God's children did thousands of years ago? What a blessing it is to have Genesis, Moses, the endownment ceremony in the temple to broaden our views and help us truly understand who we are and what we can become.
At a time in my life when i've been searching for a deeper understanding of the creation accounts in scripture and their relationship to scientific thought, i find this article and it's links an answer to prayer. I've only recently become aware of this blog and others like it, generated by LDS who search for understanding. They are an extremely powerful medium for sharing (reasoning with each other) gospel insight. all praise to you Jared
I'm always glad to gain new readers, ando49. Thanks for the comment.
Post a Comment