Saturday, December 06, 2008

Velikovsky in Collision

"Velikovsky in Collision" (1975) is the title of an article written by Stephen J. Gould that gives a general assessment of Immanuel Velikovsky (1895-1979). You don't hear much of Velikovsky these days, but he was apparently rather popular (and always controversial) in his day. His notoriety came from his publications which attempted to explain Biblical and other historical oddities by invoking catastrophic earthly encounters with other planets. Mainstream scientists derided his ideas, which made him a hero among scientific insurgents.

Gould summarized Velikovsky's methodology.

He begins with the working hypothesis that all stories reported as direct observation in the ancient chronicles are strictly true—if the Bible reports that the sun stood still, then it did (as the tug of Venus briefly halted the earth's rotation). He then attempts to find some physical explanation, however bizarre, that would render all these stories both mutually consistent and true. Most scientists would do exactly the opposite in using the limits of physical possibility to judge which of the ancient legends might be literally accurate.... Secondly, Velikovsky is well aware that the laws of Newton's universe, where forces of gravitation rule the motion of large objects, will not allow planets to wander. Thus, he proposes a fundamentally new physics of electromagnetic forces for large bodies. In short, Velikovsky would rebuild the science of celestial mechanics to save the literal accuracy of ancient legends. [italics added]

Gould went on to lay out several general critiques of Velikovsky's treatment of geology. One of them deserves particular note because Velikovsky's name often appears along side the term "catastrophism."
Third, the inference of worldwide events from local catastrophes: no geologist has ever denied that local catastrophes occur by flooding, earthquake, or volcanic eruption. But these events have nothing to do, one way or the other, with Velikovsky's notion of global catastrophe caused by sudden shifts in the earth's axis. Nevertheless, most of Velikovsky's "examples" are just such local events combined with an unwarranted extrapolation to global impact. He writes, for example, of the Agate Springs Quarry of Nebraska—a local mammalian "graveyard" containing the bones (according to one estimate) of nearly 20,000 large animals. But, this large aggregation may not record a catastrophic event at all—rivers and oceans can gradually accumulate vast quantities of bone and shell (I have walked on beaches composed entirely of large shells and coral rubble). Also, even if a local flood drowned these animals, we have no evidence that their contemporary brethren on other continents were the least bit bothered.
I wish I had a better handle on the history of catastrophism in geology. Charles Lyell revolutionized geology by popularizing the method of interpreting past changes to the earth using known geological processes, an approach known as uniformitarianism. In contrast, catastrophists appeal to large-scale or global disasters. My sense is that catastrophists tend to have a bad name, not because large-scale catastrophes never happen, but because they are invoked without sufficient evidence in order to save whatever pet theory the catastrophists are pushing. Having said that, uniformitarianists may have been a little too hardened at times in the past. Modern geology is apparently not as rigid. (For what it's worth, doing a Google search on uniformitarianism or catastrophism brings up a lot of creationist websites.)

Gould concludes,
The Velikovsky affair raises what is perhaps the most disturbing question about the public impact of science. How is a layman to judge rival claims of supposed experts? Any person with a gift for words can spin a persuasive argument about any subject not in the domain of a reader's personal expertise.... But what it is a person who knows neither astronomy, Egyptology, nor geology to do—especially when faced with a hypothesis so intrinsically exciting and a tendency, shared, I suspect, by all of us, to root for the underdog?
Gould never really answers the question.

For more critique of Velikovsky, see here.

Postscript:
Velikovsky apparently had a fan among the writers of the Church's Old Testament institute manual.
Although the majority of geologists, astronomers, and other scientists believe that even this long period is not adequate to explain the physical evidence found in the earth, there are a small number of reputable scholars who disagree. These claim that the geologic clocks are misinterpreted and that tremendous catastrophes in the earth’s history speeded up the processes that normally may take thousands of years. They cite evidence supporting the idea that thirteen thousand years is not an unrealistic time period. Immanuel Velikovsky, for example, wrote three books amassing evidence that worldwide catastrophic upheavals have occurred in recent history, and he argued against uniformitarianism, the idea that the natural processes in evidence now have always prevailed at the same approximate rate of uniformity. These books are Worlds in Collision, Ages in Chaos, and Earth in Upheaval.




13 comments:

Anonymous,  12/06/2008 04:35:00 PM  

I actually read one of those books when I was a kid. Can't remember which one. It was either "Worlds in Collision" or "Earth in Upheaval."

I was thrilled by it like I am from good sci-fi. The idea that Venus emerged from Jupiter (hence the "red eye") and passed by the earth (and mars, I believe) causing all kinds of cool things to happen was fun reading when I was a teen. I got the same thrill from reading the sci-fi novel "When Worlds Collide."

Jack

Unknown,  12/07/2008 03:26:00 PM  

I read "Worlds In Collision" years ago, and I don't have such a negative opinion as a Gould does. It is often forgotten, that while he made incorrect predictions, he also made some startling (for their time) predictions that were bourne out, such as high surface temperature of Venus.

Considering certain enigmatic statements of Joseph Smith, while we may not entirely embrace this, we would do well not to immediately throw it out either. There may be a kernel of truth to it all.

Stephen,  12/07/2008 10:20:00 PM  

Velikovsky was extremely quick on his feet and could win face-to-face debates with scientists in neutral venues.

Which is an interesting lesson.

Jared*,  12/08/2008 09:14:00 PM  

That wouldn't surprise me; scientists are not necessarily good debaters. Debates are not the best method for getting at truth anyway.

Unknown,  12/08/2008 10:19:00 PM  

One statement in particular in Gould's essay bothers me. He says, " the laws of Newton's universe, where forces of gravitation rule the motion of large objects, will not allow planets to wander".

This is simply false because it fails to take into account the chaotic motions of a many body system. While it would seem apparent, that the solar system has been the way it is for millenia, that is not actually known. Mars, for instance, has evidence of a 'recent' planetary tilt. If I recall, early in the days of the telescope, Venus was observed to have a moon.

Stability and instability of the solar system is still a discussed topic.

I think Gould is just an overzealous skeptic.

Anonymous,  12/09/2008 07:55:00 AM  

Well I think Gould is arguing from the wrong premise anyway. It isn't about planets wandering. According to Velikozsky Venus was ejected from Jupiter and that's what caused all mayhem--not that I agree that idea.

Jack

green mormon architect,  12/09/2008 04:26:00 PM  

I read three short books by Anthony E Larson (The Prophecy Trilogy) which I found at Deseret Book when I was young that were based on the writings of Velikovsky. I loved them - probably similarly because of the sci-fi element to them, while mixing in scripture and prophecy. I don't think Deseret Book is selling them anymore...

Jared*,  12/09/2008 10:00:00 PM  

Anthony Larson is still around. He has commented here a couple of times in the last few months.

Zen,

I don't think Gould means that nothing can change in the solar system. I think he simply means that, given the state of the solar system today, what Velikovsky proposed would require new physics. A little Google searching turns up references to Velikovsky's rejection of gravity (e.g. here).

Unknown,  12/09/2008 11:48:00 PM  

I think we need to distinguish Velikovsky's ideas and the mechanisms he proposes to make them happen. His mechanisms leave a lot to be desired. But that is hardly the interesting part. There are other mechanisms that are possible.

The part about Velikovsky that is the most interesting is the suggestion that solar system instability played a part in ancient history. If it happened in the past, then why not in the future?

It is the most compelling explanation I have heard yet for Joshua commanding the Sun to stand still (and the accompanying meteorites).

Would it help if I linked some respectable publications on the non-solvability of solar system stability?

Anonymous,  12/10/2008 09:00:00 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carl Youngblood,  12/10/2008 05:00:00 PM  

I just read the rest of that Institute manual and can't believe that it hasn't been updated. There are a bunch of old-school extra-doctrinal quotations that don't seem to agree with the BYU packet.

Carl Youngblood,  12/10/2008 05:00:00 PM  

Clarification: I just read the rest of that chapter, not the whole manual.

Jared*,  12/10/2008 09:44:00 PM  

Zen,

I'm not opposed to the idea that astronomical objects might play a role in human history, or in future events.

Carl,

I'm with you. In fact I've been considering a separate post on just that.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP