Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Joseph Smith: Mormonism is Truth

Most wards will study "Gaining Knowledge of Eternal Truths" in the Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith manual this month. I found the following quote a rather inspiring ideal:

“Mormonism is truth; and every man who embraces it feels himself at liberty to embrace every truth: consequently the shackles of superstition, bigotry, ignorance, and priestcraft, fall at once from his neck; and his eyes are opened to see the truth, and truth greatly prevails over priestcraft. …

“… Mormonism is truth, in other words the doctrine of the Latter-day Saints, is truth. … The first and fundamental principle of our holy religion is, that we believe that we have a right to embrace all, and every item of truth, without limitation or without being circumscribed or prohibited by the creeds or superstitious notions of men, or by the dominations of one another, when that truth is clearly demonstrated to our minds, and we have the highest degree of evidence of the same.” [bolding added]




1 comments:

S.Faux,  12/17/2008 03:12:00 AM  

These passages also stood out to me as I taught this lesson to the High Priests group in my Ward.

We are believers in continuing revelation, regardless of whether that revelation is theology or science. As a consequence, I don't think I have to apologize for believing the earth is round, gravity is real, and biological evolution (speciation) happens!! Further, I am proud to believe that racism has NO place in this Church; the doors of the temple are open to ALL who legitimately seek it; and that LDS members are free to be deep thinkers appreciating the BEST of books that one can find in any library.

If something is false or of ill repute, then we LDS are NOT obligated to believe in it. Consequently, I am a line upon line Mormon, feeling no obligation to believe something until I have "experimented" upon the word. Using this procedure, my testimony has only grown upward, even if it is not as high as some others. I am grateful Mormonism stands for the truth.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP