Saturday, September 23, 2006

A Little General Conference Skepticism

General Conference is coming, with its familiar look, feel, and sound. Most of the speakers will read their speeches off of teleprompters. However a few may stare directly into the cameras, displaying impressive memorization abilities as they give their polished address. But these speakers almost certainly have not memorized their speeches. Rather, they are transmitting a recording of their speech--or components of it--to a tiny earpiece and reciting what they hear. How do I know this?

1. I have first-hand knowledge of a situation where a General Authority was to give a speech at a particular venue, but in the preparation there was concern that some of the lights might be a source of interference in the radio transmission.

2. After the above experience, I had a conversation with someone who was intimately involved in the production of General Conference. I asked them whether any of the speakers actually memorized their talks and was told that, no, they use the method I described above. (I suppose that the late Elder Haight--whose vision was too poor to read the teleprompter--could be an exception, but his speeches seemed largely extemporaneous and were not the polished look-in-the-camera type.)

3. Recently a relative told me of a time when they attended an event where a General Authority spoke using this method. As a result of some kind of interference, the recording was audible over the sound system so that the audience could hear the prompt and delivery.

Now I don't have a problem with this method; it is essentially an improvement on the teleprompter. And I would certainly conceed that those who employ this method are capable of memorizing their speeches. However sometimes in casual or church settings, in a moment of Church-leader-cheerleading, the ability of some General Authorities to recite their speeches is used as evidence of their remarkable memory which, in turn, is evidence for how great their abilities (natural or supernatural) are. These leaders undoubtably do have great abilities, but I think that the methods they use to aid them should be recognized for what they are.

7 comments:

Anonymous,  9/23/2006 02:20:00 PM  

I've never heard of speech memorization claims outside of Thgomas S. Monson, who is somewhat famous for his memory during the pre-technology period of the church.

As an example, he memorized the church handbook of instructions in German to deliver to East Germany since he was not allowed to carry it there, only to discover that when he had gotten there, set up his type writer, etc, someone had already illegally smuggled it in.

mw*
MW*

Justin B.,  9/23/2006 06:32:00 PM  

I've heard claims that Elder Nelson memorized this or that conference talk.

Anonymous,  9/25/2006 08:28:00 AM  

Are you sure some of them haven't memorized their stories? I think I have by now.

Anonymous,  9/25/2006 09:58:00 AM  

Having seen Elder Nelson "live" in the philippines where no technology was available, he either gave his talk ad hoc or memorized it. I would assume ad hoc, with possibly some memorized themes.

Jared*,  9/25/2006 10:47:00 AM  

From what I understand, Pres. Monson does have a reputation for having a great memory. And no doubt he and others know their own personal stories quite well. On the other hand, it looks to me like Pres. Monson uses the teleprompter in Conference.

As I understand it, the transmitter is located in the speaker's pocket, so there would not necessarily be external technological support.

Granted that these men speak a lot, and those (few, I believe--my examples above include two GAs for sure) that use the method may not always rely on it. All I know is what I have put above. I have not mentioned names, not because I'm trying to be coy, but because it was my intention to call attention to the method rather than individuals. Also, in one case I am not absolutely certain that I have the name right; I think I do, but there is a chance I have him confused with another General Authority.

Perhaps I will get more specific after Conference.

Unknown,  9/25/2006 03:29:00 PM  

Oh, yes, the tricky hidden microphone thing.

Perhaps we should be minded of Jonas Nightingale in "Leap of Faith".

Scott Hinrichs,  9/26/2006 01:46:00 PM  

Yes, let's recognize it. The truth should always be welcome. We have nothing to fear from knowing the truth. It sure beats hearing Mormon folklore from the pulpit, something that has happened a time or two with members of my ward.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP