Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Signs in the Heavens

Some portions of earth were able to observe a solar eclispe today. This reminds me of a source of bitterness for me--I rarely get to see these kinds of things.

First of all, it has to be visible from my part of the planet--it usually isn't. When there is a lunar eclipse or a big meteor shower, it is often at some un-heavenly hour at night. And when I make an effort to see it, you can bet there will be clouds.

Haley's comet? Yeah, my Dad got my brother and I up way early on a Sunday morning and we drove out to the beach to see it. There weren't clouds as I recall, but we couldn't see anything of interest.

My best success was comet Hale-Bopp, probably because it was visible for multiple nights in a row. And a couple of years ago I saw the beginning and end of a lunar eclipse.

So if at judgment day I am accused of not responding to the signs in the heavens, my defense is: cloud-cover.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP