Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Duane Jeffery's SSE: A Continuing Dialogue

Duane Jeffery's article, "Seers, Savants and Evolution: The Uncomfortable Interface" is essential reading for anyone interested in the history of the relationship between science (especially evolution) and the Church. It appeared in Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought Vol. 8 No. 3, and is available here and here. What appears to be less well-known is that several issues later (Vol. 9 No. 3) another article was published titled, "Seers, Savants and Evolution: A Continuing Dialogue." (Available here.)

This second article consists of three letters responding to the first article followed by Duane Jeffery's response to the letters. Although written over three decades ago, much of the article is just as applicable now--some of it, perhaps, more so. It is worth reading and I am providing some of my favorite excerpts here along with a few comments of my own.

Continue Reading


Prophetic Infallibility

On all of the above issues [concerning creation scriptures] (and many others), no matter which interpretation one may accept, one is forced to reject at least some teachings of some prophets. The pain in that process stems purely from the erroneous doctrine of prophetic infallibility. Even Joseph Smith, whom we traditionally view as closest of all in his intimacy with God, openly rejected the idea. Others of his successors have done likewise (cf. "SSE," fn. 6). We must internalize the validity of that rejection; the doctrine of prophetic infallibility is foreign to Mormonism.


On the Atonement

Mr. Eatough represents that evolution (he does not qualify it; it appears that he means any form of it, fully-theistic or otherwise) negates the atonement. I have heard this assertion many times over the years; but for the first time I can now openly query the writer: why? Please reflect very carefully on what the atonement is and does, and then tell me why. But I serve warning in advance: the usual arguments given in LDS literature are not firmly based. Be very very careful of your steps; that originally solid-looking footing turns rapidly to a morass of quicksand.

As far as I am aware, Jeffery has never publically elaborated on this point. I would like to know his insight here, but I think I may have some idea as to what he means.

The Alternative, Design

Unfortunately...there are people, and they are not at all rare, who do deny that any form of evolutionary processes occur, who sincerely feel that if they admit the validity of even one tiny piece of evolutionary biology, they will have permitted into their religious values the tip of a wedge which cannot be stopped and which they view with near horror. (We have Church writings which bolster that belief!) Every semester I meet a number of students who are very uncomfortable with the development of pesticide resistance in mosquitoes, warfarin resistance in rats, etc. Though some person will assert that these incontrovertible developments via mutation and selection have nothing at all to do with real evolution, still these trivialities cause considerable discomfort to many of our people. It is a deeply sincere position. And what do such persons offer as an alternative to explain the incredible adaptation visible in nature? Design—pure, thorough, and simple. As before, I make no attempt to pursue that question in depth (cf. "SSE," p. 44, and fn. 10). The Snows appear cognizant of the limitations of the position, and specifically circumvent it; from their point of reference the word "capricious" is quite probably inapplicable. But I doubt that theirs is the prevailing belief in the Church; even our current Family Home Evening manual comes dangerously close to falling into the trap. For trap it is, and an old one. Indeed, it was right on this issue that Darwin the clergy candidate got his start on wondering about species—and, interestingly, his response provides an excellent case-example of the very kind of thing Brigham Young was extolling (in his quote, p. 49, fn. 36, "SSE"). Under those intense concepts of design, capriciousness is really a very mild word, even an understatement. Sociology and history, for starters, readily establish the point, without even beginning to invoke the detail of biology. It is the posit of intense design that bestows such problems, of course, and it was to that that my remarks were directed. I infer that the Snows find capriciousness in God to be intensely repugnant; I share their disdain. It seems time, then, that we eschew those peripheral doctrines which inescapably confer it on Him. Nature's adhering to a design by a benevolent being may well exist, but the concept seems to be not defensible on the level at which it is so often claimed.

Yes, that was all one paragraph.

On Understanding

...Eatough seems to feel that if I show any sensitivity at all to any form of evolution, I am thereby a fellow-traveller with, and a brazen champion of, the extreme anti-religious element, that I am demanding total and unconditional religious capitulation. That is his inference, not my implication, and totally contrary to the entire message of my article. Contrary to his assertion, I did not spell out any specific view of evolution in the entire article; other reviewers have rightly noted that point. I am a biologist, yes; a geneticist, yes, and I have access to all the flexibility of data interpretation that exists in those fields, but in this arena I am not bound by many of their limitations. The game we are playing in this search for truth is one of synthesis, not one contrived of extreme religionists on one hand and extreme anti-religionists on the other, each shouting epithets but never listening.


Explaining Facts

[W]hile I would not begin to claim that we can understand all of God's direct actions—indeed I assert that we cannot even identify them all—I do maintain that it is folly to characterize Him in such a way that He becomes duplicitous and/or irrational. And that is precisely what he becomes with virtually all of the anti-evolution arguments with which I am familiar. For, invoking a critical point not heavily made by the Snows, whatever method "God used" must eventually square with all the "factual" data...And when we adopt such a test (comprehensiveness of explanation, etc.) the superiority (n.b., I do not say "absolute truth,") of hypotheses which propose that some form of theistic evolution was involved becomes quickly apparent; the others, so far as I have observed, place God in an untenable position. For example, it seems to me quite reliable to "believe" that fossils exist. Their interpretation may well merit discussion; it seems to me that their legitimacy as remnants of previously-living organisms really does not. Evolutionary biology, of course, makes an attempt—a very good one—to explain them. Among others, one prominent anti-evolutionary commentator of high LDS rank had another explanation: "Well, of course we know that Satan just put those things there to deceive us." I cannot but wonder if persons who postulate this idea fully realize how widespread fossils are. They are found through and through virtually every major land mass known—if Satan really made all that, who then is the Creator of the earth? If nature indeed testifies of diety (a long-standing and still-in-vogue theological injunction), of which "diety" does it thus testify? And what is its testimony? For if the hypothesis be accepted, then God is a party to this by allowing such a monumental hoax, and indeed we have conferred on Him duplicity of truly staggering proportions! A witness of that sort, it appears to me, God can well do without.

Of course, the key claim of the Intelligent Design movement is that we can identify God's direct actions. Like Jeffery, I believe it to be a doubtful claim. But he makes a larger point here that is often lost: The "factual" data, not just from paleontology, but a number of fields including comparative genomics and developmental biology, must be accounted for somehow. LDS writers often invoke the Fall as somehow explaining what we see, but such an "explanation" is as vague as explaining the classical trinitarian God as a "mystery," nor does it come free from the problems with intense design mentioned above.

17 comments:

Anonymous,  12/07/2005 04:17:00 AM  

Jared,

I'm familiar with "A Continuing Dialogue," which I quoted 15 months ago (here).

It appears, however, that Boyd K. Packer must be among those who missed it, as evidenced by the fact that he "elevates the 1909 statement (and his assessment thereof) to the status of eternal truth—choosing to ignore the 1910 editorial, the 1911 editorials, and the 1931 pronouncement." (Duane Jeffery responding to Norman L. Eatough in "A Continuing Dialogue," 29.)

I'm referring, of course, to President Packer's landmark paper on the origin of man which contains the same omissions Jeffery found in Eatough's letter. President Packer also makes the same mistake Eatough did in his assessment of the 1925 First Presidency statement, of which he says

-------------------- quote ---------------------
It follows very closely the [1909] statement, indeed quotes directly from it. The doctrines in both statements are consistent and have not changed. One paragraph from the first will give you a feeling for their content.

"It is held by some that Adam was not the first man upon this earth, and that the original human being was a development from lower orders of the animal creation. These, however, are the theories of men. The word of the Lord declares that Adam was 'the first man of all men' (Moses 1:34), and we are therefore in duty bound to regard him as the primal parent of our race. It was shown to the brother of Jared that all men were created in the beginning after the image of God; and whether we take this to mean the spirit or the body, or both, it commits us to the same conclusion: Man began life as a human being, in the likeness of our heavenly Father."
-------------------- end quote ---------------------

But the most remarkable thing about "A Continuing Dialogue" is this: On page 28, Norman Eatough twice challenges Duane Jeffery to respond to Joseph Fielding Smith as Prophet and President. This gets to the heart of Jeffery's real problem in both SSE articles, he refuses to deal with or even acknowledge Joseph Fielding Smith as President.

Anonymous,  12/07/2005 09:34:00 AM  

Jared,
Thanks for that. And great blog.

Jared*,  12/07/2005 12:40:00 PM  

Thanks for the commments.

For completeness, Jeffery probably should have at least mentioned the 1972 manual.

Anonymous,  12/07/2005 01:49:00 PM  

Gary, I'm curious, what did Joseph Fielding Smith say on the subject as President of the Church?

Jared*,  12/07/2005 02:28:00 PM  

Will,

Since I read your question first, I will go ahead and respond. If I'm not mistaken, Gary will refer you to his writing here (also linked to in his original comment).

Briefly, when Joseph Fielding Smith was President, selections of his Answers to Gospel Questions were published as a Priesthood manual. The manual's title page states that it is published by either the First Presidency or Council of the Twelve (I don't remember the exact wording, but it is more forceful than just being a church publication.) The manual contains one of his answers concerning evolution and the age of the earth. Gary argues that Duane Jeffery was negligent in leaving this book out of his analysis since he claims to present all views expressed by the First Presidency, and that the book settles the doctrinal question of whether death occured before the Fall. He further argues that this is part of a pattern of bias that Duane Jeffery displays against Joseph Fielding Smith.

Certainly read Gary's analysis for yourself. And Gary, feel free to correct me if I have not summarized your argument accurately.

Anonymous,  12/07/2005 03:05:00 PM  

Thanks, Jared.

I personally see a distinction between originating a statement and publishing an earlier statement, but I realize that most people wouldn't consider the distinction significant.

So it's clear the JFS accepted NDBF as President. It's also clear that at least one apostle rejected NDBF. I suppose that if we were to base our beliefs on ecclesiastical authority alone, we would have to go with President Smith's view. Of course, I don't believe that we need to make a ruling on that sole basis, or, indeed, make a ruling at all.

Anonymous,  12/07/2005 06:09:00 PM  

will,

You and I have previously discussed Elder Talmage's rejection of No Death Before the Fall (here). Subsequent to that, I posted an article on my blog about James E. Talmage and the theory of evolution (here). I would have enjoyed your comments about that article.

Anonymous,  12/07/2005 06:11:00 PM  

Jared,

Selections from Answers to Gospel Questions was published "by the First Presidency" and distributed to the Melchizedek Priesthood Quorums of the Church. Thank you for your quick and incisive clarification. I believe you have summarized my argument fairly well.

Anonymous,  12/07/2005 06:12:00 PM  

cayblood,

I have not declared anyone to be a heretic. I do wonder openly why certain Church members choose to ignore President Joseph Fielding Smith. You say "It is possible to believe that Joseph Fielding Smith was a prophet of God and president of the LDS Church and yet believe that he espoused incorrect doctrines."

I ask, Which of President Joseph Fielding Smith's successors has said that he was wrong about the doctrine of no death before the fall? If none, then on what basis do we believe he espoused this doctrine incorrectly? Over and over, on my web site and my blog, I've shown that subsequent to President Smith, the doctrine of no death before the fall is simply accepted as a given in Church publications.

Incidentally, you have incorrectly represented Elder McConkie's comments about Brigham Young. Elder McConkie said Brigham Young was misinterpreted on this. (Note, the issue here is what McConkie said, not what Brigham Young meant.)

-------------------- quote ---------------------
"Cultists and other enemies of the restored truth, for their own peculiar purposes, sometimes try to make it appear that Latter-day Saints worship Adam as their Father in heaven. In support of their false assumptions, they quote such statements as that of President Brigham Young to the effect that Adam is our father and our god and the only god with whom we have to do. This statement, and others of a similar nature, is perfectly consistent and rational, when viewed in full gospel perspective and understood in the light of the revelations relative to the patriarchal chain binding exalted beings together. Full and detailed explanations of all important teachings on these points are readily available. (Doctrines of Salvation, vol. 1, pp. 96-106.)" (Mormon Doctrine, 1966, s.v. Adam-God Theory.)
-------------------- end quote ---------------------

The Encyclopedia of Mormonism also clarifies this misunderstanding of Brigham Young in its article on Adam.

Jared*,  12/07/2005 06:47:00 PM  

Gary,

I think cayblood has in mind the letter Elder McConkie wrote to Eugene England. It is easily available on the internet--mostly on anti-Mormon sites.

Anonymous,  12/07/2005 06:48:00 PM  

Gary, are you familiar with the letter that Elder McConkie wrote to Eugene England?

You say that you wonder openly why some members ignore President Smith on this subject. I'm sure you already know the answer, but I'll say it anyway: It's because empirical data render his views untenable. You have said on your blog that data are subject to different interpretations, which is true, but it is also true that some interpretations are so unreasonable that they can't be held without violating one's intellectual integrity. Whether this description applies to NDBF is a scientific question that you haven't addressed.

Jared*,  12/07/2005 07:51:00 PM  

Let me second cayblood. Unless you have a really long driveway and no snowblower. I might still do it, but perhaps with a less than cheerful attitude.

Anonymous,  12/07/2005 09:14:00 PM  

I'll join Jared and Carl in the snow-shoveling. I'll take the June to September shift.

Jeff G,  12/07/2005 10:17:00 PM  

If I were that close to Gary I'm sure both of us would have gotten pretty red in the face a few times, but this, as far as I'm concerned, would only serve to strengthen the friendship.

Anonymous,  12/08/2005 12:03:00 AM  

Jared, will, and cayblood,

In his Eugene England letter, Elder McConkie plainly states "Brigham Young contradicted Brigham Young, and the issue becomes one of which Brigham Young we will believe." The difference is this: Joseph Fielding Smith, in seven different decades (1910s through 1970s), consistently and strenuously taught the doctrine of no death before the fall. Joseph Fielding Smith never contradicted Joseph Fielding Smith on this and neither have his successors.

Anonymous,  12/08/2005 12:04:00 AM  

To all,

About ten years ago, a retired nuclear physicist moved into our neighborhood. He later wrote a book about his reconciliation of the gospel with the big bang and the 4.5 billion year history of earth. He and I attended the same ward. We participated in priesthood and sunday school discussions together. When he taught classes, he sometimes included ideas that had grown out of his career as a scientist. When I taught classes, I occasionally taught my own ideas, some of which the careful observer probably recognized as contricting his. In spite of this, we became fast friends and grew to respect the sharp divergence of views that existed between us on some subjects. We also became ever more aware of the much larger areas of complete gospel agreement. A couple of years ago, I mourned his passing.

Thank you all for the snow-shoveling offer. By the time my youngest son leaves on his mission in a couple of years, I'll be over 60 and might decide to hunt you down to see if any of you are really serious. In the meantime, yes, we can and should be friends.

Dave,  12/08/2005 03:55:00 AM  

Don't Jeffrey's remarks on prophetic fallibility implicitly address the Joseph Fielding Smith problem? I don't buy into the idea that just because someone becomes President of the Church, every earlier statement suddenly becomes inerrant. Just republishing JFS's earlier statements in a new manual doesn't somehow morph them into new and more authoritative statements.

I haven't ever met anyone who lost sleep over the JFS statements, although some folks think we ought to be more troubled over them. I'll choose my own troubles, thank you.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP