Sleep Paralysis Revisited
Recently a discussion about exoricisms raised the issue of sleep paralysis and its potential to explain many accounts of demonic encounters. A new book argues that sleep paralysis also helps to account for another phenomenon: alien abudctions.
A review of Abducted: How People Come to Believe They Were Kidnapped by Aliens explains the basic thesis:
1. People experience a frightening episode of sleep paralysis. The idea of alien abudction, being prominent in our culture, offers an explanation for the experience.
2. Seeking answers, they undergo hypnosis where false memories are created which help cement the explanation.
3. This is further reinforced, strangely enough, by a spiritual payoff.
The review is worth your time if you are interested at all.
I've heard stories but I've never been a true believer in alien encounters. At the same time seemingly normal people go for this stuff (including church members I have met), so it seems like more than just mental illness or something. The steps outlined above make sense to me, but then maybe some of you are true believers.
Please don't make stuff up, but if you have an alien story, please share.


1 comments:
I think it would be useful to remember that these so-called 'alien abductions' are merely a fraction of the experiences people have, and the least credible in my opinion. There are many reports that are far more credible, with multiple witnesses and/or evidence. The whole abduction part could be dropped and still leave a lot of much more reliable and credible phenomena that has not been explained.
Post a Comment