Review of Pratt's "Millenial Science"
During my senior year at BYU (1999-2000), I ran across the book Charting a New Millenium: The Latter-day Saints in the Coming Century, published in 1998 by Apsen Books. It is a compilation of essays by LDS professionals (some of them well-known) giving their perspectives of where we stand and what the new millennium may bring. The lone essay on science was written by John Pratt (Ph.D, astronomy) and titled “Millenial Science.” Why he was chosen as the one and only LDS representative of science is not clear to me, since his interests are in calendars and chronology, and it looks as though he does very little peer-reviewed research. The answer may lie in the fact that he is the science editor for Meridian Magazine, which is run by Maurine and Scot Proctor—also the editors of this book. On a whim, I recently re-read Pratt’s article and decided to share my thoughts about it.
Continue Reading
First the positive: I think the article has a pretty good discussion of the scientific method and the limitations of it. Essentially, hypotheses are proposed (based on previous observations or experiments) and then are tested experimentally. Based on the results the hypothesis is either revised or new hypotheses are proposed in order to investigate new questions. In my experience, science is not quite as formulaic as is sometimes suggested; nevertheless it is important that research be hypothesis driven.
The article differentiates successful scientific theory from ultimate truth. It is important to keep in mind that no matter how well a theory is supported, in the end it may not represent “things as they really are.” For a number of reasons, science cannot answer all questions. Furthermore, science is always tentative because tomorrow’s findings may supercede today’s understanding. We therefore cannot expect ultimate and eternal truths from science. That’s not to say that the methods of science cannot uncover some ultimate truths—we just cannot be absolutely certain when it has occurred. However, I would add that certain hypotheses and theories can be so well supported that we call them facts--like the germ theory of disease, for example.
Also, the article lists some revealed truths that we must keep in mind as we evalutate scientific findings. Examples include: God created the earth, we are children of God, we have free agency, and God knows the end from the beginning. To his credit, the author cites the idea of the earth having been created in seven twenty-four hour days, or even seven one thousand-year periods, as a forced interpretation of scripture.
Dr. Pratt spends a large portion of the article evaluating evolution, which is where most of my criticisms are directed. First a general observation: it is interesting to me that much of the criticism of evolution comes from non-biologists. Why physicists, engineers, mathematicians, and lawyers feel qualified to critique evolution is a mystery to me. It is almost condescending—as though biologists are not very bright because anybody can master evolution, and reveal its flaws, with relative ease. Speaking of lawyers, some of the arguments in the article seemed familiar to me. I turned to the bibliography and found Phillip Johnson's book, Darwin on Trial, listed. Phillip Johnson is, of course, one of the prominent leaders of the Intelligent Design [creationist] movement.
Dr. Pratt’s main argument seems to be that evolution does not measure up to the scientific method. He claims that it cannot be falsified—a claim sometimes made by creationists. First of all, broad and well-supported theories are not often overturned by single contrary findings because sometimes the findings are anomalies, or often they can be reconciled with the overall theoretical structure without too much effort. It is a steady accumulation of contrary findings that precipitates scientific revolutions. Nevertheless, I will list several ways evolutionary theory could be falsified (or greatly modified), especially if more than one were true:
1. If fossil species were randomly distributed throughout geological strata.
2. If closely related species (according to evolutionary theory) showed little genetic resemblance to one another. Even if we allow for two species to share the same basic set of genes, they should show little similarity in genetic organization, such as which genes are on which chromosome, or even the number of chromosomes. Furthermore, they should not share distinctive genetic features that serve no function.
3. If developmental patterns of closely related species were dissimilar.
4. If the geographic distribution of taxa through history showed no particular patterns.
5. If closely related species used different DNA combinations (codons) to code for amino acids.
Of course, in each case listed above the opposite is found. Part of the strength of evolution is that multiple fields of science-geology, genetics, paleontology, developmental biology, anatomy, physics, etc.--support it. If evolution is false or not “scientific,” there ought to be a great amount of discord between these fields of study. (For more evidence of evolution and ways it could potentially be falsified, see here.)
In an ironic way, Dr. Pratt actually undercuts his own argument. After stating that good scientific theories should make risky predictions, and that the presence of transitional fossils is a risky prediction, he suggests that the principle of reusing a good design is the simplest explanation for the existence of whales. He has raised a case where the risky prediction of transitional fossils (not to mention genetics and developmental biology) supports the land origin of whales’ ancestors.
Another irony, in my mind, is raised by Noah’s flood. It is evident that Dr. Pratt believes that the flood was universal, and he proposes that Noah packed enough different “kinds” of animals onto the ark in order to allow for the biological diversity we see today. (This appears like an implicit admission that some evolution has occured.) There are almost 5,000 species of mammals and 10,000 species of birds (Mayr, What Evolution Is), not to mention reptiles or amphibians—and new species are being discovered every year. One of the criticisms creationists often make is that we do not observe new species being generated by macroevolution. This criticism is flawed for reasons I will not deal with here. However, even if Noah was able to fit a large fraction of the known mammal and bird species on the ark, the pace of diversification (evolution) that would be needed in order to reach the current level of biodiversity would be much faster than even evolutionary theory suggests has occured. In other words, the proposal about Noah’s ark, it seems to me, requires more (faster) evolution than evolutionary theory does--and we should be witnessing it today. Each person can make up their own mind as to whether the flood was universal or not, but it seems to me that his charge of willing ignorance concerning the flood (based on 2 Pet. 3:4-7) can cut in more ways than one.
Two final points. First, Dr. Pratt seems to think that genetics is not compatible--and even contradicts--evolutionary theory. However, genetics is well within in the modern synthesis. Second, he claims that "science need not be atheistic." I agree, but I think it is a mistake to drag science into the broader culture war over the place of religion in public society. Science has not fared well when controlled by relgious dogma. Until the millenium comes and God reveals more specific information, I believe we should let scientists conduct their research in peace.


13 comments:
First of all, bless you, Jared, for filling the void that was left when Eyring-L turned into a bickerfest.
Dr. Pratt is a very nice guy, but when it comes to science, he's just a step above Kent Hovind. I can see Meridian publishing his articles, but I'm embarrassed that the editors of the Ensign saw fit to include his speculations in the church's official magazine.
It's interesting that Dr. Pratt doesn't address the falsifiability of the universal flood theory, which makes many risky predictions, none of which pan out.
Posted by Will
I'm sure Pratt is a very nice person, but judging from what I've read on Meridian he is a bit of a quack.
BTW - I'm not sure Eyring-L is a slug fest. Rather I think that two trends were at work. The first was a move away from mailing lists. Nearly every mailing list I used to belong to decreased in volume. I think LDS-Phil is the only one that really remained the same. Well the FAIR list as well.
The other trend was that the regulars had sort of hashed through most of the topics. Unfortunately there wasn't new blood coming in and when there was new blood they weren't interested in rehashing the same discussions they'd already had. Unfortunately this sometimes led to quick put downs rather than investigative dialogs. Heavens I'll even take the blame for some of that myself. It is an interesting question of how to deal with that since I think it is important to argue through issues in a dialog, so having two sides that are coming to know is important. That however by its very nature makes mailing lists with established personalities problematic.
But as to the "slug fest" or debative nature, that was always present, even back when I ran Eyring-L.
Posted by Clark
Clark and I have discussed this topic before. :-).
I am curious, however, if either you, Jared, or Clark have actually read "Darwin on Trial" or "Reason in the Balance: The Case Against Naturalism in Science, Law & Education", also by Johnson?
While Johnson is not a scientist, his legal specialty is the logic of argument, evidence, and rhetoric, and he approaches the "evidence" for darwinism from that point of view.
What I think would be most helpful to the debate would be if you two would read these two books and then provide your own reviews. I, for one, would be very interested.
Posted by Ebenezer Orthodoxy
Clark, I should have mentioned that your blog also helps fill the void, but frankly, the philosophical stuff is over my head.
Ebenezer, I have read Behe, a bona fide biochemist, and Dembski, a mathematician. I was frankly surprised at the weakness of their arguments. Can you explain how the issue is illuminated by approaching it from a legal/logical perspective?
Posted by Will
My blog is definitely targeted towards a narrow niche. Which is fine. I'll soon be blogging in a group blog. I just like the smaller niche blogs personally. (Other than T&S and occasionally BCC I don't read "general LDS blogs") By and large I find most of the topics people discuss I've already worked out and want to move on to more technical issues.
I'd say half my readers are non-Mormon as well, oddly enough. (Mainly people with philosophical backgrounds)
Posted by Clark
I have read most all of the IDC (Intelligent Design Creationism) literature, and have also seen Phillip Johnson debate the issue of evolution against the evolutionary biologist William Provine at Stanford. In my judgement Johnson won the debate but this is to be expected. He debates for a living! Provine, though very intelligent, simply could not address his lay audience and relate to them as well as Johnson. While this is Johnson's strong point, it is also his flaw. IDC is appealing principally to those who understand next to nothing about evolution.
One of the reasons for this is because the authors (Johnson and his associates) themselves are not that well trained in the field. Thus we have mathematicians weighing in with their arm chair calculations of (im)probabilities, lawyers thinking (like they always do) that they know far more on the subject than they really do and essentially anybody else who went to school and has an opinion to share.
If we want to hear from somebody trained in logic, evidence, rhetoric *and* (most importantly) biology, shouldn't we consult the philosophers of biology? With this in mind I would highly recommend Michael Ruse, Danniel Dennett, Robert Pennock and Richard Dawkins (though these last two can be a little confrontational at times.)
Dennett's "Darwin's Dangerous Idea" is one of the more interesting book's I have ever read on the subject.
A great collection of essays dedicated exclusively to IDC (both for and against) is "Intelligent Design Creationsim and Its Critics: Philosophical, Theological and Scientific Perspectives."
I guess my point is this: If you want to learn about what Creationists believe these days, read Johnson. If you want to not believe in Darwinism and sound smart to the uninformed, read Johnson. If you like to argue with and really infuriate those godless evolutionists, read Johnson. But if you want to learn about biology, evolution and our place in the bioshpere read someone else.
Posted by Jeff Giliam
I think that attributing their criticism to their lack of training or because they are not scientists is a kind of Ad Hominem combined with an Appeal to Authority ("scientists").
You all speak as if it is only the untrained, non-scientists who doubt darwinian evolution. Over 300 scientists have signed a statement dissenting from Darwinism.
And there are scientists who participate at the message boards of The International Society for Complexity, Information, and Design (ISCID).
Bernard d'Abrera is a world-renowned butterfly and moth expert at the British Museum (Natural History) in London and a fellow with the ISCID.
Bernard d'Abrera's book "A Concise Atlas of the World's Butterflies" not only contains stunning photographs of butterflies, it is a work of lepidoptera taxonomy. The introductory chapters are a description of the life cycle, habits, and peculiarities of butterflies. The entire discussion (before the catalogues and plates) is framed as a critique of Darwinism.
Here is an excerpt:
Any person wishing to acquire a university degree of any altitude has only to place the word 'Evolution' in cunning juxtaposition with the lesser words, 'Phylogenetics', 'Molecular Biology', 'Genetics' or 'Biodiversity' in their abstract (or synopsis), and hey presto, they suddenly find themselves copiously funded!" (6)
"Some may ask why I have included my arguments against the several theories of evolution of species in a popular work such as this. I answer that I do so because ... those who support any or all of such theories do so relentlessly and unopposed in every literary, visual and spoken vehicle that exists -- be it base, popular or exalted highbrow. They are totally in control of every scientific journal or book in print and have no intention of having their hegemony threatened...." (53)
"No field worker who studies insects, may now freely gaze upon his discoveries of insect morphology, biology or behaviour, without the taint of speculative Darwinism compelling him to colour his conclusions. No more is such a worker allowed to make direct, uncomplicated observations about objective facts about butterflies or moths....Instead he is now compelled through the pressure of insidious programming by the
overlords of the scientific establishment, to subject everything he has objectively observed to the tyranny of subjectivist and useless speculation about butterflies and their hypothetical origins. He must do so for no other reason than being able to collect his
grant and acquire his PhD or some other doubtful honour of mutual respectability amongst his peers. The really dangerous part of this global pseudo-scientific cultism is that our worker has unconsciously been made to pass from the intellectual liberty provided within the legitimate realms of distinterested hypothesis, into the cul-de-sac of totalitarian absolutism of unprovable dogma.... Evolutionists thus become roped into the bondage of their own theory. They postulate it as holy writ and then labour ceaselessly to find the 'evidence' to fit it. Such tendentious labours only bestow the opprobrium of 'contrivance' upon the evidence so gleaned." (64)
Posted by Ebenezer Orthodoxy
All the opponents to evolution need do is provide a testable alternative.
Posted by Clark
I should be clear that I am not attacking the IDC authors for being believers. I am, however, calling into question thier credentials to speak of matters of evolutionary biology. If the vast majority of the doctors of the related areas of biology (just because they teach biology doesn't mean they have studied evolutionary biology) agree on the essentials of evolution and a bunch of lawyers, chemists, astronomer, etc. dissent due to the lingering gaps in our knowledge, who are we to believe? Isn't this the entire point of the university degree system, to let professors, employers and everybody else know who it is that we can listen to and to a certain degree trust in any given subject?
Does this mean that I don't accept any of their (IDC's) arguments? Of course not, but I strongly object to letting them have their say in an evolutionary biology course, they simply have not earned that right. If they were to want their opinions heard in a philosphy of science course of some type, I think that would be more reasonable.
Evolution as a 'theory' has been backed by a wider variety of evidence than has any other scientific 'theory.' This includes relativity, newtonian physics, copernacan astronomy. It is not overstepping the line to say the "law of evolution" instead of the "theory of evolution." But this doesn't mean that evolution has been crowned invincible, this is not a "law" means in science. Consider Newton's "Laws" which are very good, but ultimately wrong.
Regarding, the list of 300 professors, I find it amazing that they couldn't find 3,000 professors to sign such a 'carefully' worded statement. They could have at least found 300 professors of biology to sign it. That would have given it far more wieght.
And this brings up the question of why more biologists are not willing to speak out against evolution as it is currently taught in the schools. The standard answer, of course, is the traditional appeal to conspiracy. "If they speak out Darwinism they will be fired and utterly rejected by the scientific community!" See Bernard d'Abrera above for more details.
Before I go into that, I simply must mention that if any serious and well trained biologist was cut off, so what? He could make more than a pretty penny writing books and giving lectures in which he presents his evidence to any who would listen. The Wedge movement would be more than willing to welcome him aboard. But this is the point, they have very little evidence or new hypotheses to present.
If a person were to develop a new and supposedly better hypothesis he would have to publish his findings, have his ideas subjected to an immense amount of scrutiny, just like the 300 professors were calling for. But not one theory has been able to explain the existing evidence and make accurate predictions as has evolution.
Posted by Jeff Giliam
[Blogger does not allow editing of comments, so these comments of mine have been deleted and are re-posted here. Unfortunately chronological order has not been retained.]
Welcome, Will. I hope you will find the blog of value.
I hope my review does not come off as too harsh. I certainly have nothing against Dr. Pratt personally (since I've never met him), and I think his writings are generally interesting food for thought. I just disagree with his arguments in this article. And I'll admit feeling a little extra emotion because it is frustrating to have an LDS scientist make other LDS scientsts look like their beliefs/research are inferior just because they agree with mainstream science. Nor do I think that we want LDS thinking attached to the Intelligent Design movement.
Ebenezer,
I gave Darwin on Trial a look-over several years ago, but I don't remember enough to comment on it.
It sounds as though you have read them--is one sufficient or do I really need to read both?
I'll readily admit that I'm not the smartest or ablest guy in the world, but I'm willing to give it a shot--it will probably be a few weeks/months before I get a review up.
As far as the 300 scientists dissenting from "Darwinism," I have to point out Project Steve. Now, the funny thing is, I think I could endorse both statements. The DI statement is vague and essentially translates into, "We believe God had a hand in the creation of the diversity of life." As such, it is not necessarily in conflict with the Project Steve statment, nor is it that strong of a dissent. (Sidenote: I scanned for a professor of biology to look up at random. It turned out they are at a Christian liberal arts school--which is at least suggestive of their motivation for adding their name to the list.)
Regarding Bernard d'Abrera, it would be interesting to know the greater context of his criticisms. I know there are at least three schools of thought in taxonomy that sometimes conflict, which may have someting to do it. Professional conflicts, religious worldview--all could play a role here. My point is the excerpts only contain sweeping accusations, so it is difficult to know where he's coming from. (I'll also point out that the exerpts above appear to be cut-and-pasted from a review by William Dembski--also an ISCID fellow...hmmm.)
I would amend my translation of the DI statement to include "...or other natural process not yet appreciated..."
BTW, using the DI statement as a template, I would also endorse skepticism that "Native Americans originate solely from Asia," or "Nothing can exceed the speed of light," but I would never insist my skepticism be pushed on elementary and high school students in the form of textbook stickers or disclaimers read by science teachers by waging [wedging] a two-pronged battle of public relations and court battles, nor would I disparage the work of mainstream anthropologists and physicists and stir up anger against them as the secularist/atheist/evil establishment.
Post a Comment