One Long Argument from Authority
Argument from authority: "Appeal to authority is a fallacy of defective induction, where it is argued that a statement is correct because the statement is made by a person or source that is commonly regarded as authoritative."
One long argument: Phrase used by Darwin in the final chapter of The Origin of Species to describe the whole book.
A couple of months ago I highlighted a harsh review of Rod Meldrum's publications and talks that was published in the FARMS Review. Although the main focus was the Book of Mormon, evolution was dragged into the discussion.
Meldrum's website has a number of free downloads, including a handy little compilation of many of the bad things past prophets have said about evolution. In some cases (e.g. Joseph Smith) the statements are not directly about evolution, but are nevertheless used as ammunition. In other cases (esp. Joseph Fielding Smith), statements and writings before their becoming president of the Church are grandfathered in. Also, someone has helpfully underlined and bolded all of the important parts, in order to assist hitting you over the head.
The document is said to have been compiled by one James Stoddard, who is the president of ZionVison. In case you need further bludgeoning, check out their video, Creation and Evolution: A Witness of Prophets. You can get a taste of it by looking at these trailers. You can also read a transcript of the video here.
In addition to argument from authority, the video is long on another logical fallacy: appeal to consequences. In classic form, the video blames evolution for various evils in society, such as Hitler and the Columbine massacre. There is also a little bit of traditional quote-mining--more likely recycled quote-mining (example).
I think my favorite part is where it refers to BYU zoologist Duane Jeffery as "one modern biologist, who rejects the miracles of the scriptures," and who "has spent much of his life promoting the theories of Darwinism while belittling the words of latter-day Prophets of God." One wonders how he hung on to his job all those years! Of course the movie doesn't mention his career at BYU. More on that in a minute. The movie charges,
He has given this rationale for his rejection of the miracle of the flood: “Can one really fit ten million species onto a single ocean-going vessel, feed and care for them all with their often very restrictive diets or living conditions (many of which we are helpless to duplicate even with modern systems), and keep it all going with just eight people for an entire year? The answer, plainly, is no.”I'll bet that's the least of the reasons Jeffery rejects a universal flood. (For more on the flood, see here.)
Toward the end, the movie starts to really lay it on thick. We are told that there are only two forces in this world (presumably good and evil). Then the law of witnesses is invoked along with woe pronounced against those who reject such witnesses. Speaking of witnesses, it's interesting to note how the power of General Authority quotes can be shaped by how they are introduced. "Elder so-and-so stated his opinion that..." doesn't quite pack the same puch as, "Elder so-and-so testified..." or "Elder so-and-so gave his witness..." So naturally, the movie describes the quotes with these terms.
There is no mention of more moderate sentiments expressed by Church leaders like David O. McKay, Heber J. Grant, Stephen L. Richards, James E. Talmage, or John A. Widtsoe, or even some of the allegedly hostile leaders, nor of the views expressed by such prominent Mormons as Henry Eyring. You also won't learn from the video that evolution is taught at BYU. Not only taught, but researched as well. These factors may or may not weigh heavily in how a person views evolution, and given the polemical agenda of the movie their absence is understandable. However, they do tend to undercut the implied message of the movie that the fate of your soul hangs in the balance based on your view of the science.
There is obviously some kind of affiliation between ZionVision and Brigham Young Academy.org (which, in case you are curious, is a sister to the Joseph Smith Academy.org, both of which are divisions of the Joseph Smith Foundation. None are affiliated with the Church.) They have compiled an impressive polemic of an FAQ on evolution, some of which contains exact passages from the movie. It's NDBF on steroids! (No relationship; I checked.) These folks are hard-core; they even call out FAIR (arguably the best LDS apologetic organization out there) and accuse it of mocking, ridiculing, and fighting against "the clear scriptural teachings and witnesses of the Prophets of God." Other honorees include Michael Ash, Steve Peck, and David Bailey. If they wanted to be thorough, they really should have included Hugh Nibley, too. (Yours truly somehow didn't make the list, in spite of almost six years of blogging. Do I have that little influence? I guess I can take some consolation that Mormons and Evolution, a group blog that I participated in for a while, is listed.)
Dealing With General Authority Statements
Although pronouncements by authorities do not determine the truth or falsity of a proposition (hence the logical fallacy), we look to the prophets and apostles as a source of truth, and their thoughts deserve consideration. This style of argumentation, where one is made to feel like s/he is rejecting the prophets, can therefore be quite difficult and frustrating to grapple with because, in its strongest form, there can be no counter-argument. Attempting to do so only validates the perception that you reject the prophets. And yet, we who defend science cannot remain silent or else the authoritarian bullies will be the only ones heard. So what can we do when confronted with such material? Here are a few suggestions to consider.
1. Recognize that these lists of General Authority statements are not merely intended to be informative. They are compiled in such a way as to give rhetorical advantage, and they are often embedded within an implied overarching narrative. Different statements could be strung together for a different effect (example). Consideration should be given to the full range of views expressed along with historical and cultural context. Resist efforts to reduce everything down to a simple black-and-white, good-and-evil story.
2. The cover letter to the BYU evolution packet, prepared in 1992 by the Board of Trustees (which includes the First Presidency), states: "Various views have been expressed by other Church leaders on this subject over many decades; however, formal statements by the First Presidency are the definitive source of official Church positions." Don't feel a need to reconcile every statement--even those by prophets.
3. When you dig below the surface of General Authority statements critical of evolution (or other science), it often turns out that they are actually defending some deeper principle such as the existence of God, morality, inspiration of scripture, etc. Be clear that you agree with the deeper principle.
4. Recognize that the zeal of the anti-evolution crusader is not reflected in the broader Church program. Many people who accept evolution serve as bishops and stake presidents, evolution is taught without apology in the science classes at Church schools, and Church-owned Deseret Book occasionally publishes books that are friendly--or at least moderate--toward evolution (eg. Mormon Scientist, Of Heaven and Earth, and Lenthen Your Stride: The Presidency of Spencer W. Kimball).
5. Study and use the example of Henry Eyring. During his life he successfully navigated these waters and is still held in high esteem in LDS culture.

23 comments:
I checked out some of the links. One of the nice things about authoritarianism is that it frees one from the work of evaluating physical or historical evidence and potentially needing to adjust your point of view. You just have to say, "OK, I totally trust everything that these guys have taught," and apply a little deductive logic, and presto, you never have to wonder about anything again. Then you can spend your time doing good works or serving the church, etc. You can also feel very good about yourself. You use your mind not to find the truth, but since you already have the truth, you use your mind to accomplish tasks, etc. instead of wasting time doubting. Thinking you have it all figured out is actually a pretty nice feeling. And that nice feeling makes you think you are right.
Thanks for bringing these people to my attention. I am saddened by their comments and reasoning. I wonder if these people discourage their children from studying science and medicine. I am consoled only in knowing that scientific truth has already won the argument (in a larger context). So, I forgive my anti-evolutionary brothers & sisters, even if they could stand a little more education.
Well said Paul. Sometimes I miss that feeling. But then again, there is something adventurous about uncertainty.
JohnE, I think this human behavior is because it is more comforting to think you know something than to think you you don't. I think humans have this basic bias, which basically allows us to function and move forward in ambiguous situations or situations we can't fully understand. For example, ids really think they understand a lot. You really don't need to know many facts about reality in order to treat others well and try to accomplish something worthwhile. On the other hand, humans also tend to have this same bias on the back side, i.e. when we find out some really unpleasant truth, we usually say to ourselves that we are glad we found out. It just feels better to know or think you know.
Freudian slip: "kids" not "ids"
Thank you, Jared*. I have nothing in particular to add, but I want my name to appear in support of thoughts like this.
"hen we find out some really unpleasant truth, we usually say to ourselves that we are glad we found out. It just feels better to know or think you know."
Funny thing about that... Studies are showing that when we are presented with facts contradicting our view of the "truth", we actually tend to become further entrenched in our errant view.
I checked out the website of ZionVision and the Brigham Young Academy.
Wow.
Or, better, ugh.
I sincerely hope people are not educating their children from this stuff. I fear that some of the homeschoolers might be.
Almost every entry is either anti-science or something you'd find on the John Birch Society or religiously narrow.
My favorite was a FAQ that considers Richard Bushman a deceiver for Rough Stone Rolling.
Sad.
Paul V,
Nice points. I should be clear that I am not criticizing anyone's choice of faith, or what they think they need to believe in order to follow the prophet. And they are perfectly entitled to argue for their perspective, as am I to engage their arguments. But the discussion should be about merits of arguments, not who is true to the prophets.
S. Faux,
Thanks. ditto.
Ardis,
Thanks for registering your agreement! If I've got you on board, I feel like I've probably got it about right.
Stan,
You are right, but I don't see a contradiction between the two statements. Although they may resist it, people do change their minds. When they do, I think Paul's view makes sense.
Anonymous,
I missed the Bushman stuff. Thanks for pointing that out. Bushman is listed as a "Detractor" of Joseph Smith. Somebody tell the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles so they can release him from being a stake patriarch!
Did anyone read the Scopes trial stuff? I actually found the historical aspects interesting with respect to GAs who backed William Jennings Bryan.
But, I haven't seen anyone in modern times back Bryan's legal or scientific position.
Ironically, I first saw "Inherit the Wind" at BYU. It was a required part of an honors class -- held in the Maeser Building.
Nice post. It's hard to take a group seriously when it proposes that FAIR and Richard Bushman are one small step away from the Tanners and Ed Decker.
A blog entry much needed. Thank you.
I have jokingly said that Arizona, with a Senate President like Russell Pierce, will likely end public schools, because it is just as wrong to tax people to provide public education as to provide health care. It turns out that the linked website has prophetic authority to back my joke: "I am opposed to free education as much as I am opposed to taking property from one man and giving it to another....Would I encourage free schools by taxation? No! (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses 18:357)" And "The tenth plank of Karl Marx's Manifesto for destroying our kind of civilization advocated the establishment of 'free education for all children in public schools.' There were several reasons why Marx wanted government to run the schools . . . the United States system of popular education will be the most efficient and widespread instrument for the propagation of atheism which the world has ever seen." (Ezra Taft Benson, Improvement Era, December, 1970. p. 49)
http://brighamyoungacademy.org/faqs/index.php?action=artikel&cat=9&id=175&artlang=en
Thanks Jared,
Sad when the people you describe wave ignorance like a flag. Such people do real damage to our message. Thanks for such a thoughtful and direct expose of their harms.
Ugo,
I am honored by your approval.
DavidH,
Ha! Thanks for pointing that out.
Gee, DavidH considering how wonderfully efficient public education is (not!) we sure do have a lot to look forward to with publicly-funded health care. What could possibly go wrong?
Just to get matters straight, Darwin was **NOT** an authority when he published "Origin of Species" and "Descent of Man." He had spend decades amassing actual evidence for his theory, which he then published.
There is no argument from authority in his books. There is evidence piled upon evidence with explanation.
Please don't casually demean one one of the greatest scientists of the roughly modern era because you can't be bothered to actually read his work.
Jared*, your post advocates "the full range of views expressed" on evolution and I agree.
I believe the apostles and prophets — the First Presidency and Twelve — hold the keys of doctrine, so I focus on their Church published words. In that context, I can find only one (negative) view on human evolution, and only a few years in the early 1900s when two (2 of 97) apostles questioned the otherwise pervasive and persistent Church teaching that the Creation was paradisiacal with no death before the fall.
I very much appreciate the careful note in your post about my blog and I want you to know that I honestly think my Pepsi habit is more harmful than your evolution belief. But I also think the phrase "full range of views" implies a broader range of apostolic views than actually exists in official Church media.
For your information the principle site for the FAQs is www.josephsmithforum.org. In quick response to several questions and statements on the blog here are some brief places information can be found.
What about all the moderate Church Leaders? Even Church leaders who are considered moderate have opposed evolution. Few people know that James E. Talmage and B. H. Roberts publicly opposed evolution:
http://josephsmithforum.org/faqs/index.php?action=artikel&cat=1&id=87&artlang=en
Additionally, President Heber J. Grant spoke negatively on evolution and supported William Jennings Bryan following the Scopes trial as referenced in the video Creation and Evolution: A Witness of Prophets.
http://www.josephsmithacademy.org/store/index.php/creation-and-evolution-a-witness-of-prophets.html
Duane E. Jeffery has been reprimanded by Church Leadership: http://www.ndbf.net/sse.htm
FAIR is never attacked as an organization on any of the Joseph Smith Foundation sites, only articles published on FAIR promoting evolution.
If a person opposes evolution, do they oppose science and medicine?
http://josephsmithforum.org/faqs/index.php?action=artikel&cat=1&id=108&artlang=en
Are those promoting Darwinism and NeoDarwinism opposing prophets of God?
http://josephsmithforum.org/faqs/index.php?action=artikel&cat=1&id=82&artlang=en
http://josephsmithforum.org/faqs/index.php?action=artikel&cat=1&id=107&artlang=en
Does Joseph Smith Forum contain a few statements on evolution trying to promote one opinion? The Joseph Smith Forum FAQs contains the largest collection of statements made by Church leadership available. Each “opinion” is supported by many statements made by Church leaders.
Is Church doctrine defined by bishops, stake presidents, BYU professors and Deseret Book?
http://josephsmithforum.org/faqs/index.php?action=artikel&cat=1&id=173&artlang=en
Was there a 1910 First Presidency Message that taught that man may have evolved?
http://josephsmithforum.org/faqs/index.php?action=artikel&cat=1&id=83&artlang=en
Thank you,
Joseph Smith Forum
Agnes,
I appreciate your passion, but if your comment is directed at me then you have not understood this post.
Our friend from the Joseph Smith Forum ---
O.K.
Do you realize the BYU -- today -- is one of the nation's leading institutions with respect to evolutionary biology and paleontology?
The BYU Board of Trustees Chair, First Vice Chair and Second Vice Chair are the current First Presidency.
They set policy, approve faculty hiring and direct tithing money for programs.
I did a quick search on the BYU website. Out of hundreds of references to evolution, here are few relevant current ones:
Daily Universe article from 2009 on how evolution is taught at BYU today:
http://nn.byu.edu/story.cfm/71097
BYU evolutionary professor on of nation's most cited: http://universe.byu.edu/node/12568
Here is the Professor Crandall's BYU web site indicating the scope of his research:
http://biology.byu.edu/FacultyStaff/tabid/168/ctl/FacultyProfile/mid/563/FacultyID/172/Default.aspx
Here are a few active evolutionary labs at BYU, funded by tithing money:
http://crandalllab.byu.edu/Personnel/PastPersonnel.aspx
http://patagonia.byu.edu/investigators.aspx?i=Johnson
http://mmbio.byu.edu/faculty/bja43/
Boy, it is obvious that President Monson, Eyring and Uchtdorf are really hostile to evolution.
The Duane Jeffery reference is highly defamatory. The post claims he was disciplined by church leaders for arguing that evolution is compatible with gospel. Absolutely false.
Steve
Thanks for checking in, Joseph Smith Forum.
re: Duane Jeffery - I see no evidence at that link that Jeffery was reprimanded by Church leaders. In a 1976 speech President Benson criticized Jeffery and his article. For more background on this episode see here, here, and here.
Is Church doctrine defined by bishops, stake presidents, BYU professors and Deseret Book? - That's a straw man. I never claimed otherwise.
Post a Comment