Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Pleasant Side of Digging up the Dead

There is apparently an honest-to-goodness conference being advertised where geocentrism--the idea that the solar system and the rest of the universe revolves around Earth--is going to be exhumed and the attendees will attempt to breathe life into it. (See Galileo Was Wrong: The Church was Right.) The whole thing could be a hoax, but these days you never really know.

When I first read about the conference my first reaction was anger that such a settled theory--Nay, Fact!--would still be seriously questioned by mentally competent adults. But that was before I read some of the nice explanations that blossomed around the blogosphere explaining why geocentrism is wrong. Now I feel fortunate because I learned some things.

Below are three links for your reading pleasure. Each has material not found in the others, so read them all.

1. Geo-xcentricities; you too can be Galileo with just a pair of binoculars (and gaffer tape)

2. Geocentrism: Was Galileo Wrong? - Don't miss the movie of Jupiter!

3. Geocentrism? Seriously?






3 comments:

Stan,  9/15/2010 09:12:00 PM  

There is a certain beauty to Ptolemy's geocentric model. It tells me that the facts can often be tortured to fit your model.

Joseph Smidt 9/15/2010 11:51:00 PM  

You know, I would actually enjoy being presented with a well constructed argument why geocentrism is true. Obviously it is not, but I am always amused by how creative people can be.

For example, once someone told me that they could prove that all evil things that were evil had names that spelled out 666 when you put it through some algorithm he developed. He then went on to prove things like computers were evil, phones were evil, bikinis were evil, etc...

Obviously he was full of garbage but I was thoroughly impressed he could construct such an algorithm. (For those of you who must know I was tracting so I didn't memorize or write it down but lets just say it was very creative.)

SteveP 9/18/2010 11:46:00 PM  

What? The Earth goes around the sun? Jared* what do you think the scriptures mean when they say, "And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram." Gen 17:12

and

"If the sun be risen upon him . . ." ?

Please get on board with the scriptures are saying rather than accepting the theories of men.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP