Monday, February 01, 2010

What's With the Ages of the Patriarchs? (Final)

In my first post in this series I brought up reasons why the ages of the ancient patriarchs (and numbers in general) in Genesis should be approached with caution. In my second post I showed how a straightforward reading of the ages results in problems of scriptural consistency. But this still leaves us with D&C 107:41-53, a revelation to Joseph Smith that gives support to the long ages of the patriarchs. I will admit up front that I don't have a tidy solution, but maybe we can nibble around the edges of the problem.

First let's look at these verses more closely. The ages at which the various patriarchs down to Noah were ordained to the Priesthood are given, and range from 10 years old to 496. Two of the ages stand out: Enos was ordained at 134 years and 4 months, and Mahalaleel at 496 years and 7 days(!). Why are we given such specificity for these two obscure prophets? Also notice that Enoch was ordained at 25 and blessed at 65. This blessing cannot refer to Adam's final blessing, as a look at the graphs in my second post shows. Is it coincidence that this blessing by Adam, the birth of Methuselah, and the founding of Zion all occurred when Enoch was 65? The text mentions that "God called upon Cainan...in the fortieth year of his age," and Enoch's ordination and blessing were also 40 years apart. The number 40 plays a prominent role in the Bible. For example Moses: was 40 years old when he first visited the Hebrews, spent 40 years as a shepherd, led Israel in the desert for 40 years, was on the mountain for 40 days, etc. Finally, perhaps it's also worth pointing out that these verses are somewhat in tension with D&C 84:15-16, which gives a different impression as to who ordained whom.

Now let's look at historical context. This portion of D&C 107 was received in March (or maybe April) of 1835. Perhaps it is not coincidence that just 2-3 months before, Joseph was helping to prepare the Lectures on Faith for publication. The Lectures on Faith had been composed the previous November, and they were selected for inclusion in the 1835 edition of the Doctrine and Covenants, which was published in August of that year. Although Sidney Rigdon is thought to have done most, if not all, of the actual composition, it seems clear that Joseph oversaw their contents.

The Lectures on Faith are of interest here because the second lecture dwells at length on the ages of the various patriarchs and their relationships to one another. A passage that seems to foreshadow D&C 107:53 says,

So that Lamech, the father of Noah, Methuselah, Enoch, Jared, Mahalaleel, Cainan, Enos, Seth, and Adam, were all living at the same time, and beyond all controversy, were all preachers of righteousness.

This brings us to the changes to the patriarchal ages made in the JST. The Book of Moses was written in 1830-31, and it followed the Old Testament in the ages it used. Sometime later (apparently after August 1831), Oliver Cowdery marked changes to the ages on one of the source manuscripts of the JST. However, except for the ages for Enoch, these changes were apparently removed by Joseph Smith III during publication, which is why they are also absent from our Book of Moses. As can be seen in my last post, it appears that the most important effect of these changes was to push Lamech's birth to after Adam's death, which fits better with D&C 107:53. Were these changes pure revelation? Were they adjustments made to correct perceived inconsistencies? What is their relationship to D&C 107 (especially the age of Enoch)? And why were they not included in the Lectures on Faith?

Perhaps the key to another way of looking at this scripture is verse 57.
These things were all written in the book of Enoch, and are to be testified of in due time.
Perhaps when the unknown book of Enoch was written these ages had symbolic or numerological significance that is lost to us. Under this hypothesis Joseph revealed contents of an ancient text, the real meaning of which remains cryptic to us.

But what about Adam's meeting with so many generations of his lineal descendants? There are several potential answers:

1. Such a thing would technically be possible even with non-miraculous documented lifespans of up to 120 years.

2. Returning to my first post, it may be that the relationships were not all strictly lineal.

3. It's possible that some of the detail is actually based on assumptions made by Joseph. It might be that the actual revelation was simply that Adam assembled and blessed his posterity, and that Joseph filled in the details of names based on his familiarity with the kinds of details contained in the Lectures on Faith?

Admittedly these ideas are not the most natural way to read D&C 107. However, the point of all of this is not to force a conclusion on whether the patriarchs lived for hundreds of years, or whether D&C 107 is right or wrong--or right in an unexpected way. Rather, my purpose has been simply to think creatively and raise possibilities. Since a straightforward reading of the scriptures dealing with the patriarchal ages leads to contradictions, it seems that creative thinking is required whether you think the ages are real or not.



5 comments:

Joseph Smidt 2/01/2010 11:00:00 PM  

I do not pretend to know how to solve these problems. I do want to thank you for these interesting posts however.

Unknown 2/02/2010 02:55:00 AM  

Here's a tidy solution, if you will receive it: The ages of the Patriarchs are essentially correct. They lived in an environment that was vastly more healthful than our present, sterile environment. The pivotal event that exerted a profound event on lifespans was Noah's Flood. After that, lifespans decreased with each generation until we reach the present average age with Abraham.

The difference between the epochs before and after the Flood was, according to Peter, a "new heaven and a new earth," the "old heavens" having passed away. According to Elder Orson Hyde, Earth was once part of a "constellation of worlds," contrary to received scientific dogma. This gathering of planets, which Joseph Smith illustrated for Philo Dibble, produced a vastly different electromagnetic environment for all life, a world so different from the one we see now that it could be described as alien.

That's the solution to your question. For more information see: www.mormonprophecy.blogspot.com

Stan,  2/02/2010 03:46:00 AM  

I think we are in need of a few more tidy solutions.

Stan,  2/02/2010 09:37:00 PM  

Well that died quickly. I was hoping for more discussion.

Here's a point to talk on. Given our current understanding of aging and genetics, specifically cell division and DNA replication, is there any room for this sort of longevity? Even in Anthony's more healthful environment, can genetics support a literal interpretation of these ages?

Tom D 2/16/2010 08:37:00 PM  

Stan,

I'm not sure what more I could add. I agree with most (possibly all) of the speculation Jared makes here. I wish we had more data. I generally think this is not an area or subject we should worry about too much.

I am very impressed with how un-embellished the Book of Mormon accounts are. At least some of the Jaredite kings lived to ~150 or so (Omer certainly had a VERY full life). Nephi's brother Jacob and/or Jacob's son Enos MAY have had an unusually long life-- at least Enos 1:25 suggests that. But no one in the BoM is explicitly said to have lived a very, very long time. Now that I think of it, I believe that Mosiah II and Alma I may be the only people to have had explicit ages given for them at the time of their deaths (63 and 82 respectively).

Miracle occur in the BoM, but they are not, generally, flashy or common.

My best guess is that the stories of the patriarchs were embellished a bit both for reasons of drama (Genesis 7 & 8) and numerology.

I do believe that the various people lived and prophesied, but I do not think we know enough yet to say conclusively where, when, and how long they lived.

I suspect that the ages in the Book of Moses and Genesis could have corrected by Joseph Smith if the Lord wanted that done, but it wasn't. On the other hand, the account of the conference with Adam before his death (D&C 107:41-53) is pretty positive about who was present and what their ages were.

My best guess here is that *maybe* that account was revealed to Joseph Smith literally word for word from the Record of Enoch. Verse 57 could be taken as implying that. In that case, perhaps the Record of Enoch was corrupted or embellished itself.

Perhaps we are all just a bit too deeply tied to the false ideas that (1) the scriptures are inerrant and (2) mortal man can determine truth by research and reasoning alone. Neither of those ideas are Mormon doctrine, but they may be widely held.

I don't have a final solution to the problem of patriarch ages, but I do have a testimony. I know that God lives and loves us, that Jesus Christ is our redeemer, that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is true. All of these things I know of myself by the feelings of the Holy Ghost in my heart. I do look forward to finding out all the details one day. In the meantime I sometimes speculate ;-).

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP