Thursday, October 11, 2007

Science in General Conference

General Conference wasn't too shabby for science, as far as GCs go. I noted two things:

1. Henry B. Eyring was called into the First Presidency. He has an undergraduate background in physics, experience in social sciences, and, of course, is the son of Henry Eyring. His online biography states:

It was in this laboratory of a home where President Eyring learned to cherish learning, and where his dad taught that science and religion were not mutually exclusive.

“He figured God was the Creator, his own science was just a poor approximation of trying to understand what the Lord did,” President Eyring says of his father. “He never found any conflict at all of any kind and we never felt any. ... Dad’s idea was if you live a decent life and have the Holy Ghost and you’re fairly intelligent, you’ll find the truth one way or another.”
I would have sustained whoever was called, but President Eyring's background--among others of his good qualities--made me a little extra happy to do so.

Coincidentally, just a few days before Conference, I listened to his talk, "Discovering Truth," given back in 1983. I think it is worth a listen (text is not available).

2. Richard G. Scott gave the scientific method some prime time. The talk is similar to a talk that he has given before (and that I blogged about here).

And check out the links included in his footnotes: The Particle Adventure and An Atlas of the Universe. Both are new to me, and come from a Conference talk. Sweet.



1 comments:

austin 10/12/2007 02:56:00 AM  

That 1983 talk by President Eyring was indeed very good. And I don't know why, but it's weird going to those sites that Elder Scott cited and realizing that an apostle has visited them too.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP