Thursday, January 21, 2021

Four Years Ago: What I Got Right and Wrong About Trump

Four years ago today, on the first day of the new Trump administration, Sean Spicer called a press conference to tell lies about the size of the inauguration crowd. Here is what I then wrote:


What to Expect: A constant stream of this kind of thing, and four years of attacks on media, science, and any other sources and institutions that don't go along with his narrative of greatness, or that attempt to hold him accountable. You can especially expect him to project on others his own liabilities....

Here is my warning and plea: Do not give your mind over to his efforts to delegitimize truth. You can like his policies. You can think he's better than Hillary or Obama. Whatever. But make him earn your trust! Don't take anything his administration says at face value. [I'm grabbing you by the lapels]...don't let him (and his acolytes) control your perception of truth. You will regret it.
I think the only thing I got wrong is that not enough people regret it.

1 comments:

Dale Farnsworth,  1/23/2021 11:08:00 AM  

"Don't take anything his administration says at face value." This is wise counsel for every administration. Every administration during my lifetime has lied excessively for self-serving purposes. Further, it is wise counsel for anything that any politician says. It follows that everything you said about the Trump administration applies to the Biden administration. People will differ about to which administration it applies more.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP