On Being Faithful to the Future
I've been a little more active in my reading lately, but am unable to comment in detail on some of the pregnant passages I have found. So from time to time I will simply post quotations as food for thought. First up:
Often Christians focus on the need to be faithful to the past, to make sure that present belief matches that of previous generations. I support the sentiment in general, but we must be just as burdened to be faithful to the future, to ensure that we are doing all we can to deliver a viable faith to future generations.
--Peter Enns, The Evolution of Adam, What the Bible Does and Doesn't Say about Human Origins, (pp. 147-148).


2 comments:
That's an interesting quote to consider. I would be interested to know where you think this applies.
In a general sense, I think that as far as truth goes, belief in truth (principles or doctrines) will apply to the past, present, and future because it is unchanging.
As far as our church goes, a modern day prophet and continuing revelation should deter belief or faith being rooted in tradition or custom.
On a personal level, I think instilling a viable faith in future generations is no small feat, and how to successfully accomplish that is something I think about a lot.
Enns makes that statement in the context of several areas of scholarship. It seems to me that recent additions to the Gospel Topics are one example of an effort to do what Enns is talking about.
Post a Comment