Science and the Word of Wisdom
When it comes to scripture being ahead of science, the Word of Wisdom (WofW) (D&C 89) is one of the first examples that comes to mind, in part, because of its iconic status. The ill effects of alcohol and tobacco are well established, and the prescription of grains, fruits, vegetables, and limited meat are in line with modern recommended dietary guidelines. It seems like a slam dunk example of scripture leading science, and it is often touted as such. However, it's a little more complicated than that.
As a historical matter, the Word of Wisdom was not really revolutionary for its time. It came amidst a temperance movement that made similar recommendations. Further, Lester Bush [1] has shown that it also matched the leading medical opinion of the time quite well. This is not because the physicians of the time suspected that, say, tobacco could cause cancer (a claim not made by the WofW either), but because the cause of disease was understood differently and the proscribed substances were thought to be contributing factors.
It might be argued that the endorsement of fruits and vegetables, with moderation in meat, was ahead of its time, but I don't think this is necessarily the case for two reasons. First, this counsel also matched medical opinion of the time (particularly the emphasis on seasons), but for reasons different than one would think today. Second, well, what else were the Saints going to eat? The dietary guidance of the WofW was basically what most of humanity had been doing since its beginning (or at least since the invention of agriculture).
There are also a couple of places where the WofW does not match current science, or does so tenuously. Tobacco is an interesting case. Long used in Native American folk medicine, it became a prominent medicinal treatment in European and colonial American medicine. In fact, it came to be viewed by some as a panacea and the list of ailments that it was alleged to cure--including bruises--was long. Although its use had been controversial for some time, the tide of enthusiasm for it began to turn in earnest in the nineteenth century. Nicotine was chemically isolated by chemists Posselt and Riemann in 1828 (five years before the WofW) and thereafter it's medicinal use came under sustained attack [2].
As for its endorsed uses, a search of Pubmed for references to tobacco and bruises did not turn up any relevant articles. Apparently BYU professor Rulon Francis found that bruises in rats treated with tobacco juice healed 20% faster. This finding was highlighted in the New York Times (Apr 28, 1981), but the story appears to end there. Although Francis published his method for bruising the rats, he does not appear to have published his tobacco findings. Thus the evidence for bruise-healing properties of tobacco is preliminary at best. The WofW also directs the use of tobacco for "all sick cattle," which is quite an inclusive category and recalls the reputation of tobacco as a panacea. Bush found that, historically, the use of tobacco in cattle was much less common than its use in horses. At any rate, whether or not tobacco would effectively treat any cattle ailments, a literal interpretation holding that tobacco is good for all sick cattle just isn't tenable.
Finally, the WofW prescribes various grains for livestock, including "rye for the fowls and for swine." However, as Steve Peck brought to my attention in his post, No death before the rye, chickens do not do well on diets heavy in rye. A little Internet searching turns up the reason: rye contains substances that interfere with digestion. Additionally, both swine and poultry find rye to be less palatable than other grains.
Before ending I should clarify that the question of whether the WofW was scientifically novel is largely a separate question from whether it was inspired. At the time it was given there were already socially and medically-based reasons to think that the proscribed substances were "not for the body, neither for the belly," and that grain and fruit were good. In most of these cases our modern knowledge has added to or replaced the old reasons, magnifying the inspiration in our eyes. Further, the WofW does not spell out any reasons for its recommendations other than that it is given "in consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days."
So to summarize, although portions of the WofW have been borne out by modern science in a dramatic way, the WofW was not scientifically novel for its time and cannot be said to have--to paraphrase John Walton--offered a novel scientific perspective at the time. In coming to this conclusion, it's important to recognize that we are addressing a narrow question that has little to do with its revelatory basis and relevance today.
Notes:
1. Lester Bush (1981), The Word of Wisdom in Early Nineteenth-Century Perspective [PDF].
2. Grace G. Stewart (1967), A history of the medicinal use of tobacco 1492-1860.
See also:
Anne Charlton (2004), Medicinal uses of tobacco in history.
Word of Wisdom in the Encyclopedia of Mormonism
Michael Ash (2000), Up in Smoke: A Response to the Tanners' Criticism of the Word of Wisdom


12 comments:
Jared*,
Good points all. I used to think about the WoW in terms of advanced revelatory medicine, but this is a good explanation of why it was more colloquial and common-sense than advanced. I would argue that it later developed into its more powerful and intended role of generating cultural cohesion, and economic isolationism in the early decades of the Church. "[F]ood taboo, acknowledged by a particular group of people as part of its ways, aids in the cohesion of this group, helps that particular group maintain its identity in the face of others, and therefore creates a feeling of 'belonging'." (Meyer-Rochow, VB. Food taboos: their origins and purposes. Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine 2009, 5:18)
I think one of the heavier points against the WoW being "advanced health care" is that is says absolutely nothing about boiling water or dealing with cholera, something that killed people faster and in greater numbers than tobacco.
I was thinking what Ben said. At the time the WoW was given we had no idea the germs caused disease.
In a way, I think the WoW seems more important now, then at the time it was revealed. Fad diets, alcohol abuse, junk food, etc. plague our society. As it slowly evolved into commandment, I have wondered if its timing had more to do with creating a lifestyle/habit to benefit generations later. (Although, D&C 49:19 is a direct response to a Shaker colony that forbade the eating of meat).
Also, the WoW was revealed to Joseph after he asked a specific question about tobacco use. The fact that the revelation does not include instruction on sanitation or other future medical discoveries does not bother me.
Raedyohed,
Good point. Group demarcation may be part of it.
Ben,
Yes, I think Bush also made that point. And don't forget malaria, which caused a lot of trouble in Nauvoo.
Matronne,
I'm glad you brought up the Shaker issue. Reading through the grain/fruit part, I wonder if the WofW was simply making clear that there were no special dietary restrictions apart from alcohol and hot drinks. In other words, if it's natural, go for it! (But beware the naturalistic fallacy. Natural does not necessarily mean good.)
Jared*,
You may want to check your science on the dietary guidelines. The best science actually suggests that diets high in grain content and low on animal proteins and saturated fats are suboptimal. Both the WoW and the govt dietary guidelines were heavily influenced by believers in vegetarianism and not informed by sound science.
Great post Jared*! A friend of mine, a professor of health education, has pointed out that green tea is turning out to be the healthiest drink on the planet--based on numerous studies. As you suggest, we should look at the WofW as a spiritual practice, not a health code.
Thanks for the caution, Hippasus. I don't follow the nutrition literature. Can you give me a reference to help me out?
Steve,
Interesting. Maybe one day the WofW will get a make-over.
And I should be explicit: I love that No Death Before the Rye post!
Jared*,
This book does a good job of summarizing the politics behind the govt nutrition guidelines and provides a good bibliography to follow for more detail.
Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health by Gary Taubes
Thanks again, Hippasus.
I should have mentioned that your statement strikes me as plausible for two reasons. First, in the book Doubt Is Their Product, it tells of when the WHO (I think) looked at decreasing the amount of recommended sugar consumed. The sugar industry went into war mode to combat the revision. Second, when the USDA released its revised guidelines a few months ago, I heard a discussion on NPR where it was pointed out that USDA has a conflicted mission. They are supposed to make dietary recommendations, but they are also supposed to promote U.S. agriculture.
So, as surprising as it might sound, establishing dietary guidelines is a task fraught with special interest and politics.
So I suppose I'm a little confused on the post. Are you making an argument that the WoW still stands? Because I am still trying to wrap my head around that one. While I love the premise (take care of your physical body, which is also good for your spirit), I am simply at a loss for words when I see some quite unhealthy eaters getting a pass to the temple while others don't. I can't imagine how coffee is more damaging than aspertame (it isn't!) or green tea is worse than Doritos (green tea is, as someone else pointed out, VERY healthy!). I think it's time for a good revamping of the WoW or at least a loosening of what the WoW actually is-- taking care of our bodies (or own personal temples). Because my husband (a non Mormon) is one of the healthiest people I know (eats organically, is an avid runner, etc etc) yet he could never go through the temple (loves his daily black coffee) yet my dear friend who is a good 100 pounds overweight and subsists on hot dogs, mayonaise, diet sprite and french fries is an active temple goer. What gives?
Lulubelle,
My point is that the WofW was not scientifically revolutionary at the time it was given. You make good points about the spirit of the WofW, but I don't speak for the Church. Personally, I see the specific requirements of the WofW wisdom as a mixed bag with respect to their effect on health, but it's what we're asked to do.
For musings on this topic, you might like this post by Jeff Lindsay.
Post a Comment