Thursday, November 18, 2010

Steve's Primordial Soup: Odds and Ends

[This post is a continuation of a discussion (begun here) of Crawling Out of the Primordial Soup: A Step toward the Emergence of an LDS Theology Compatible with Organic Evolution" (PDF), by BYU biologist Steven Peck.]

It's time to wrap up this series. Here I will briefly touch on some odds and ends, and then conclude.

Gender

Toward the end of his paper Steve touches briefly on the issue of gender. He notes that the "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" defends gender as part of pre-mortal existence. Exactly what that entails, however, is not clear. The degree of conflict between evolution and pre-mortal gender is likely to turn on how closely mortal and pre-mortal gender are claimed to correspond with one another. Evolution aside, one need not look any farther than the natural world in the present to find at least some conflict with this teaching. (See, for example, Duane Jeffery's Dialogue article, "Intersexes in Humans: An Introductory Exploration.")

Although there are many exceptions, sexual reproduction is pervasive throughout the biosphere. The exact reasons for this are unknown, but one popular hypothesis is that the mixing of genes facilitates the genetic flexibility needed to adapt to new environments and to battle parasites. Given its popularity as a reproductive mechanism, it seems that sexual reproduction provides a strong selective advantage over asexual reproduction, and is the type of thing we might expect to repeatedly arise on planets with life.

Selfish Genes

In his discussion of gender, Steve invokes arguments by biologist Joan Roughgarden regarding the role of the sexes in nature.

Recently [Roughgarden] has argued for a new model of evolution, based not on selfish genetic forces (Richard Dawkins’s selfish gene model), but on models of cooperation among creatures in a gendered and sexual context.
I am at a disadvantage here because I have not read Roughgarden. However, the contrast between selfish genes and cooperating creatures represents a common misunderstanding of Dawkins, which Steve unfortunately perpetuates. Dawkins used the term 'selfish gene' as a metaphor for understanding how the the effects of genes play out in the world, and how those effects promote the continued survival of those genes in a population. It was simply a metaphor and was not meant to imply that the creatures built by those genes are, or should be, selfish (which is also a common misunderstanding of natural selection), nor was it meant to imply, as some others have thought, that genes actually have conscious motivations. To the contrary, genes only survive in relationships with other genes. As Dawkins later wrote (The Ancestor's Tale, p.187 ),
My first book, The Selfish Gene, could equally have been called The Co-operative Gene without a word of the book itself needing to be changed. Indeed, this might have saved some misunderstanding (some of the book's most vocal critics are content to read the book by title only). Selfishness and co-operation are two sides of a Darwinian coin. Each gene promotes its own selfish welfare, by co-operating with the other genes in the sexually stirred gene pool which is that gene's environment, to build shared bodies.
There is no necessary conceptual conflict between selfish genes and cooperating creatures. Indeed, if cooperating with other creatures represents a successful strategy of survival and reproduction, then genes that encourage cooperation will be selected for. Metaphorically speaking, we could say that those genes ensure their own survival (a selfish goal) by encouraging cooperation between their host organism and others--a sort of selfless selfishness, if you will.

William Chamberlin

The year 1911 saw the culmination of a controversy over evolution (and other topics) at BYU when several of the faculty where forced to leave. Evolution was banished from the campus and would not formally return until the early 1970s. Although he hung around for a few additional years, William Chamberlin was among the casualties. Naturally, I tend to view this as unfortunate, although it is easy to sit in judgment a century after the fact. However, after reading Steve's discussion of Chamberlin's ideas, and reviewing the history again, I find the decision less objectionable. The reason is, I have no idea what William Chamberlin was talking about.

I don't mean to by catty, nor do I think that the ideas expressed at a university should be limited to the horizons of my own understanding. Joseph F. Smith and others were worried that these faculty (and their students) were getting too caught up in philosophical and theological speculation. From what I can tell, Chamberlin's ideas (as described by Steve) were a kind of mystical mishmash of science and theology. If this was what he was teaching then his (and his cohort's) downfall is more understandable because he was not a martyr for science as such, but for his own speculative theology. In fact, apparently theology, not science, was William's main teaching responsibility. This is not to say that the science teachers were safe (e.g. his brother, Ralph), but strictly speaking, most of the trouble seems to have come from philosophy and theology, not science.

I am not saying that I agree with what happened, but at a minimum I think we can say that, like Galileo, these men contributed to their own problems. The desire to harmonize science and religion is almost irresistible, but any attempt to do so must necessarily remain largely speculative. It seems to me that these men may have put too much stock in their ideas. To publicly teach and defend them at a Church-owned school was courting trouble.

It seems appropriate, then, that Steve's article repeatedly reminds us that the ideas expressed in it are speculative and hypothetical. Evolution now has a firm and successful presence at BYU, and this can certainly be partially attributed to the care with which the faculty have performed their balancing act. As a BYU biologist, Steve is not only smart enough to recognize when his ideas are speculative, but he's also savvy enough to advertise them as such. Whether Chamberlin deserved what happened or not, a century later his example remains relevant.

Conclusion

The Drake equation is an attempt to organize all of the known parameters that determine the probability of us finding communication from an alien civilization into a single mathematical equation. It is not an equation that can give a reliable answer because the values of many of the variables simply are not known and the outcome is wildly dependent on whatever values one assigns to these unknowns. If it has any use, it is in helping to make assumptions explicit and laying out a framework for thinking about the issue.

I view attempts to bring science and religion together in a similar light. There is a lot that we do not know, and there are many assumptions guiding our thinking that we are barely aware of. We may not get a definitive answer from these exercises, but hopefully our thinking will be clearer and more informed. I appreciate Steve's contribution to the discussion of the relationship between evolution and Mormon theology, and thank him for being a good sport about my criticisms.



3 comments:

SteveP 11/18/2010 09:27:00 PM  

Jared,

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, your blog is a gem in extolling good science and faith. I’m so thrilled for your presence in the Bloggernacle. And thank you for taking my thoughts seriously enough to put such a thoughtful series together. I am most grateful.

I think what you said about speculation is important to keep in mind. But, I think it is also important we do not shy away from trying, in some sense, to sort things out, even if those steps are tentative and subject to revelatory revision. One of my favorite attributes of the early brethren was their unabashed daring in trying to bring their best thinking about their religion and their thoughts on current science and philosophy—trying to frame a coherent picture of all three. It is important to keep in mind the tentative and speculatory nature of these efforts. I think Chamberlin, was influenced by his theology, but I think it was just a bad situation where multiple factors and personalities were clashing and was unfortunate for everyone involved.

Sorry if I seemed to promote the idea that the ‘self-gene’ was conscious. When a biologist says selfish gene, they are using a short hand, in the same sense Dawkins did, but recognize that it is a metaphor for the idea that genes are the unit of selection in evolution. Often called the gene-eye view, or ‘selfish genes’ it does not mean that genes are selfish in the physiological sense, but rather natural (or otherwise) selection acts at the level of the gene. Behaviorally, in animals this can produce cooperation, competition, or really anything. Roughgarden is using it in this sense to promote an idea of social selection, a kind of group selection, that stands in opposition not just to simple genic selection, but especially sexual selection. The selfish gene idea as been problematic, as Stephen J. Gould, argued because the only thing that visible to selection is the phenotype, the way the genes are expressed, which as we know is much more complex then the simple, gene⇒ organism relationship that Dawkins expresses. We now recognize that genes, embryonic development and environment all interact in complex ways to create phenotypes. The gene’s eye view of selection, while explaining much, has been modified to allow other kinds of selection that also appear to operate in nature. We also understand now that group selection likely plays a role in evolution (and we have good ways of quantifying and recognizing it). I’m not endorsing Roughgarden’s view of social selection, but it is interesting and worth exploring. So sorry about the confusion.

Much thanks again for doing this! And keep up the great science blogging.

Jared* 11/18/2010 09:53:00 PM  

Steve,

Thanks again for your kind words. Now an apology of my own: I did not think that you attributed consciousness to genes, I simply included that because it is a common misconception. I'll edit it to make that clear. My specific beef had to do with seeming to pit selfish genes against cooperative behavior--"nor was it meant to imply that the creatures built by those genes are, or should be, selfish"--as though Dawkins was arguing that selfish genes = selfish behavior. However, I take your point about other levels of selection--I'm not that familiar with them, but I know that group selection, or more generally, identifying the unit of selection, was a bone of contention between Gould and Dawkins.

Like I said, I haven't read Roughgarden, but I did dig up some reviews where it was explained that she was challenging sexual selection, and I think I can see how sexual selection would tie in with genes as the unit of selection.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

SteveP 11/19/2010 11:48:00 AM  

Thanks Jarad! I probably should point out, for those new to evolutionary biology, sexual selection is used to explain things like why a peacock has such a large, beautiful, but awkward tail. Sexual selection often occurs when females select the mails with the most ornate characteristics, saying effectively, "Wow if you can look that good and still not get eaten, you must be one special guy!'

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP