Steve's Primordial Soup: Natural Evil
[This post is a continuation of a discussion (begun here) of Crawling Out of the Primordial Soup: A Step toward the Emergence of an LDS Theology Compatible with Organic Evolution" (PDF), by BYU biologist Steven Peck.]
If God used evolution as a method of creation, then we are faced with questions of natural evil. Why would a kind and loving God use such an inefficient and wasteful process, with all of the attendant pain and suffering, in order to produce humans? Why wouldn't he use a more direct method? Drawing on an essay by David Paulsen (Joseph Smith and the Problem of Evil), Steve suggests that for some unknown reason, natural selection is a necessary natural law. He then proposes that a spirit is required for conscious thought and that the Fall of Adam and Eve marked the embodiment of spirits. Life forms before the Fall were not conscious beings, and therefore did not experience pain.
Perhaps they cannot be fully divorced, but I think it would be useful to consider pain and inefficiency separately. First, I will focus on pain. I do not wish to minimize the pain experienced by the Earth's inhabitants, but I also do not think it should be inflated, either. As far as we can determine, physical pain requires a nervous system and brain of a certain level of complexity. I doubt that we can draw distinct lines, and the ability to feel pain may come in degrees, but I think we can safely rule out the perception of pain in plants and simple animals, for example.
The same kind of issues apply to emotional pain. And, in fact, there is feedback between our emotions and our perception of physical pain. So if we are going to ask how a loving God could use a process involving so much pain, we should recognize that many life forms apparently do not feel physical and/or emotional pain. Further, it should be made clear that natural selection is not a process that adds pain to mortal life. It is simply the outcome of differential survival and reproduction of offspring. It is a result of mortal conditions, not an additional cause.
Whatever the merits of the above, does rejecting evolution solve the problem? For the sake of argument, let's suppose that evolution is all wrong and that pain and death entered the world through the Fall about 6,000 years ago. In his book, River Out of Eden, Richard Dawkins wrote this memorable passage:The total amount of suffering per year in the natural world is beyond all decent contemplation. During the minute it takes me to compose this sentence, thousands of animals are being eaten alive; others are running for their lives, whimpering with fear; others are being slowly devoured from within by rasping parasites; thousands of all kinds are dying of starvation, thirst and disease.
All of that in a minute. Multiply that by the 6,000 years of the Ussher time line, and then multiply that by whatever number of mortal inhabited worlds exist in this universe. If mortal conditions are a necessary part of God's plan in "one eternal round," then we are still faced with vast amounts of pain and suffering (if such things can be quantified). Can we suppose that the creatures of this (or any) earth suffer the absolute minimum amount needed to fulfill God's plan, and no more? Further, under this scenario God is the creator of the many methods animals have for inflicting pain, and for the sensory systems needed to feel it in the first place. It is hard for me to see how evolution poses any significant problems for the nature of evil that are not already contained, and sometimes magnified, in traditional creationism viewed through a Mormon lens.
All of this forms part of the reason why I am not a fan of Steve's proposal that pain did not exist in the world until the Fall brought consciousness to Earth's life forms, though I appreciate his creative thinking. Not only does it seem to me like a theological just-so story invented to explain away the uncomfortable, it ultimately leaves the problem of suffering in place since the process is presumably endlessly repeated. As Steve notes, it also deprives any pre-existing humans, such as Neanderthals (or even other Homo sapiens), of consciousness in spite of the fact that they "had religious practices, created art, and made intricate tools." It just isn't clear to me that this idea gains us much, never mind the question of whether it's true.
At the same time, Steve's thoughts about a participatory fall are similar to my own. Whatever the historical truth behind Adam, Eve, and the Fall, the rest of us apparently fall simply by being born, which, we are taught, is the means by which our spirit leaves the presence of God and is joined to this mortal existence. We are also taught that we agreed to this. I don't know why suffering must be such an integral part of this world, but I take some comfort that for any individual organism, suffering is temporary and finite, and will ultimately be recompensed.
Finally, let's briefly return to the issue of inefficiency. Why use such a long process to produce humans when humans are the goal? On the one hand, we can posit that such long periods are nothing to God, and anyway this is a slippery slope because we can always imagine how things could be more efficient and wonder why God would let it be otherwise. On the other hand, perhaps it is fallacious to assume that the existence of humans is the only important goal. This sentiment was expressed by Hugh Nibley ("The Geological Problem" in Ancient Documents and the Pearl of Great Price):John Chrysostom said that the sole purpose of the stars was to guide sailors at sea. There's no other purpose; therefore, why should there be life on other worlds? The stars have fulfilled their purpose if they just guide sailors at sea. Well, they do guide sailors at sea, but is that their only purpose? This is the thing we have to keep in mind here. So never forget this pluralism, this multiple use of the earth. It's not made for us alone. We are allowed to share it with God's other creatures, and we are told in the seventy-seventh chapter of the Doctrine and Covenants that other creatures have just as much right to the earth as we have. Not only that, but they have spirits and will be resurrected in their own world in their own time. We mustn't interfere with them in their proper places.
None of this really solves the basic question as to why God would use evolution. We may never be able to give a fully satisfactory answer, but the evidence is that he did, and I think it is important that we continue to engage with the question. I appreciate Steve's attempt to do so, even if I'm not convinced that he has uncovered the answer.


13 comments:
I would suggest He uses evolution either because
1. it is a natural law forced upon Him (as Steve Peck is suggesting I think) or
2. because He is so smart he wanted to devise a plan that once put into place would accomplish all His designs without having to do constant tinkering. Hence, he after some minimal work setting things in motion as Genesis suggests He can now rest from creation labors and allow the majesty of evolution/big bangs to take over and create worlds and intelligent life worlds without end.
So I guess either natural Law forced upon Him or majestic framework that accomplishes all his desires worlds without end without the need for constant tinkering so that He may rest from his labors.
Continuing with my #2 (Even though I lean toward my #1)
I had a friend tell me "Isn't it incredible how the Lord knew what animals to place in what habitat and how many so everything is in correct proportion to one another etc..."
Well, if I were in a council of heaven deciding such things I would point out we could either stock the earth to obtain such a symbiosis the hard way: by brute force. Or we could just let evolution take over and watch natural selection fill out the earth with the proper proportions of every living thing so as to create the ideal environment for each creature.
One plan is difficult to see through and the other is painlessly easy and in fact requiers nearly no work after implemented.
Regarding origins and natural law, here is another perspective:
-------------- quote --------------
Law did not create God; God created law. The Almighty did not begin his career as a cosmic Columbus who stumbled upon supposedly self-existing natural laws. If there was "a great first cause" of all things, he was it. He is, as President ... Kimball said: "The Creator who originated every law" (Ensign, Sept. 1978, 5). The Prophet Joseph Smith is quoted as saying that God, "finding he was in the midst of spirits and glory, because he was more intelligent, saw proper to institute laws whereby the rest could have a privilege to advance like himself" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 354).” (Larry E. Dahl, The Lectures On Faith In Historical Perspective, 214-215.)
-------------- end quote --------------
cough *letter to the Editor* cough
I don't think the scriptures square with the ideas that humans are the goal or suffering is finite. In them, we read that God is the goal and he continues to suffer, weeping and dying for the sins of the world. In a more secular sense, perhaps posthumans are the goal and suffering is an inescapable aspect of sentience, which arises from the capacity to distinguish and so will always distinguish between that which is more and less desired -- good and evil, pleasure and pain, joy and misery. From there, can we imagine sentience to be possible in the context of powerful posthumans without their willful relinquishment -- their choice to permit sentience with increasing independence from them, necessitating a degree of relinquishment over every aspect of the system in which sentience is intended to arise? I can't.
Lincoln,
That is an interesting idea that all sentient beings, including God suffers in some way.
The handful of universal constants allowing the Universe to be as it is and for life to emerge, either constrain God to those constants, or he uses His omnipotence to force the Universe to be as it is regardless of the value of those constants. What choice did God have in creating the Universe as it exists to bring about humanity if that handful of constants is so fine tuned so as not to allow "The Creator who originated every law" to tinker with those values? Could God have created a Universe different from our own and still bring about his purpose?
Joseph and Stan,
I always enjoy your contributions.
Gary,
I don't see how God could have created the laws upon which his own existence are based. Having said that, I don't know how many of those carry over into our own existence.
Lincoln,
I think you make a great point, although I remain puzzled by some specific applications.
Kristine,
Thanks for the encouragement; I'm flattered. I have a least one more post to do, then I'll seriously consider putting the best of it together for a letter.
Jared,
Thank you much for doing this! I had hoped my paper would open conversations and that you are taking it seriously enough to do this thrills me!
It is important to keep in mind that my suggestion (and of course it is just that, I make no claims to actually arguing for this position) was to solve more than that problem of pain, which as you point out does not address the natural evil currently going on. The two questions I am also trying to make coherent are the ideas that it means something to have a spirit, and that a physical and a spiritual creation came together in some sense. If the idea that there is this dual nature is a meaningful part of Mormonism, than in some way we have to take that seriously. Of course, it may have come with consciousness itself, and maybe that is what it means? Could it be that by spirit creation, the scriptures mean the appearance of consciousness? Maybe.
The other thing I’m trying to wrestle with is the idea that of why evolution? Why such a monstrously cruel process as Wildman brings up in his essay? If this is is part and parcel of what it means to ‘Organize’ or is the only way that organization can proceed, as Joseph Smidt points out above.
It looks to me like evolution is the way the universe lets creativity, complexity and unfolds. It lets God off the hook for the relentless battle in the struggle for existence because it makes explicit the notion that life is pain and it is part of the eternal destiny and eternal life.
So the idea that spirits happen when Man had reached a certain stage of complexity rescues a more literalistic reading of the creation. But I’m far from married to it, however, and just offer it as a possibility. No way to know though, because spirits have fossilized so poorly. My personal preference is to believe Neanderthals as sentient and meaningfully conscious as I am.
I love Lincoln’s optimism and sense that we have an embodied destiny.
Gary R. misses the point if he things that God exists floating ex nihilo in a lawless universe. He apparently does not understand what Joseph Smith said. Just to have a ‘body’ implies God is governed by some sort of structuring relationships and laws that define and constitutes its use and such. But then Gary has brought in so much of the Christian fundamentalist literalism into his Mormonism he’s got the whole restoration in a tangle and has it do nothing but reinforce fundamentalist dogma. His selective and narrow reading of Mormonism does much damage to Mormonism’s richness and distinctive doctrines. There is so much more to Mormonism’s engagement with science than he allows as possible. Pity.
SteveP, just so there isn't any misunderstanding, I learn about the gospel from the apostles and prophets. And the dead ones yield to the living ones in rare cases where there is a difference.
I believe the LDS gospel was restored from heaven. It wasn't borrowed from the Protestants. If there are similarities, it's because the Protestant version is what's left of an earlier dispensation.
And it's not that I particularly dislike them, I just don't know that much about fundamentalist Protestants. So if something I said sounded to you like it came from them, that's a misunderstanding on your part.
Section 76 of the D&C teaches that some people will become exalted and will receive all that the Father hath. That is usually interpreted to include powers of creation.
Let's consider a person, I'll call him Pete, who becomes exalted. Pete now has the power of creation and can create mortal worlds. He will be God to the persons on those worlds.
One of two things will happen.
(1) Pete will create physical laws that will govern his worlds. He will be the author of those laws. He will have to devise ways for the laws to interact. He will have to devise ways for life to be put on those worlds. This seems to be the situation that is being discussed in this thread.
(2) Pete will create worlds using the same physical laws that govern our mortal world. This viewpoint assumes that these laws are eternal, that they weren't created by Pete. Pete is a user of natural laws, not the creator of natural laws. The answer to the question, Why evolution, thus becomes because that is the way things work. Evolution has always been part of the creative process used by God and that will be used by Pete. Pete really has no choice in this, because he is bound by laws.
I think (1) is ridiculous. I think it is ridiculous to think Pete will have to create his own set of laws, because if he has to do that, he will have to create his own matter. His new laws will govern his new matter.
We learn from Abraham that God took existing, unorganized matter and used it to form this earth. That implies that the laws that govern the existing matter were also existing, since, I assume, matter can not exist without laws to govern it. Whether the matter was unorganized in a macro sense of planets, stars, asteroids, etc. or in a micro sense of atoms and molecules, there has to be laws governing the matter. Even if the matter were all energy, there has to be laws governing that energy.
Thus, I believe, and it is just my personal belief, that natural (mortal) laws have always existed. The answer to "why" questions (why evolution) is "because that is the way it is. God is a user of law, not a creator of law. Yes, the scriptures talk about God creating laws, but they are really saying that God brought natural laws and unorganized matter into His creations. From the viewpoint of this earth, God is the source of the laws, not in bringing the laws into existence but in bringing the laws into the creation of the earth.
"pain did not exist in the world until the Fall brought consciousness to Earth's life forms"
According to the scriptures, the Fall brought more than consciousness into the world. The Fall brought mortality to the world. That is, before the Fall, the experiences of Adam and Even in the Garden were in a world that was not mortal. Because the world at that time was not mortal, evolution, which is a principle of mortality, was not in operation. We don't know how the non-mortal world that existed before the Fall was created. Once Adam & Eve made their decision to become mortal, the world was changed to a mortal world. The scriptures don't tell us how long this transformation took. There is no basis to say it was instantaneous. I believe that this transformation involved the laws of nature that are being discovered by scientists. From this viewpoint, we can say the transformation took billions of earth-years. That's a long time, but to Adam & Eve, it progably seemed like a short time, since they were immortal prior to the fall, and time doesn't exist in immortal worlds.
R. Gary, Dahl's position is radically different than that of Joseph Smith, who said:
The pure principles of element are principles that never can be destroyed--they may be organized and re organized but not destroyed
Sounds like a natural law to me.
But, if I am right I might with boldness proclaim from the house tops, that God never did have power to create the spirit of man at all. God himself could not create himself.
Another natural law. Both quotes from the King Follett Discourse, see here. Compare D&C 93:33, Abr 3:18.
Light and truth forsake that evil one
Natural law or divine dictate?
Wickedness never was happiness
What about this one? Subject to divine repeal? Is it within the power of God to make the wicked sublimely, and eternally happy? Or did he just sign an eternal decree way back when that from henceforth the wicked shall never be truly happy?
And if so, what principle keeps him from changing his mind? His integrity? If there are no fixed principles, integrity is whatever God says it is. Making the wicked sublimely happy could be the height of divine integrity, could it not? If not today, why not tomorrow?
Post a Comment