Dinosaurs in the Church News
Via S. Faux at Mormon Insights, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Church News has an article about BYU's Museum of Paleontology and highlights the work of James Jensen.
Once patrons move past the thrill of peering into a "terrible lizard's" jaws they might be even more surprised to learn the Church-owned school operates one of the largest collections of upper-Jurassic period dinosaur fossils in North America.I think I detect signs of discomfort, as the article seems to spend a little extra effort to assure readers that everything is on the up-and-up, and it neglects to inform when the Jurassic period was. Further, the article does not give any sense of the results of the research--as though making dinosaur displays represents the sum of the "intellectual curiosity" that drives the museum. Nevertheless, it's nice to see a nod to natural history in the Church News.
Note: I've previously written about the North American Museum of Ancient Life, at Thanksgiving Point, which is also based on the work of Dr. Jensen.


2 comments:
first: nice new blog look
second: Fun article. I volunteered as a fossil preparator at that museum one summer. Very fun. The director was Ken Stadtman (one of the specimens in the photos is named after him: Prognathodon stadtmani).
Thanks. I'm still tweaking it, but I thought it needed some freshening.
I'm jealous. I didn't even know that kind of thing was an option back then.
Post a Comment