Revisiting Kinds
Recently the issue of created 'kinds' came up on another blog, and in the comments that followed it became clear that I needed to explain myself in greater length than would work well for a comment. So I promised to do a post here.
As background, one of the longstanding scripture-based charges leveled at evolution has to do with the description of 'kinds' in the creation account (or accounts, for LDS). The argument is usually something like the following: According to the scriptures, God commanded the plants and animals to reproduce after their own kind. This means that they cannot be related by common descent, nor can their posterity become a different kind. Further, the inability of different species to interbreed--and the usual sterility of hybrids--shows that this is the case.
In a previous post, The Kind of Thing Not Found in Scripture, I made several points, three of which I will summarize here:
1. Although the claim is often made that the scriptures say that animals and plants are to reproduce after their own kind, the phrase "their own kind" never occurs in the scriptures. Rather, the earth or waters are commanded to bring forth various animals "after their kind."
2. Just a few chapters following the Creation in Genesis, the story of the Flood also refers to 'kinds' of animals, including "all the cattle after their kind." It is clear in this context that the term 'kind' is used to include similar varieties. In other words, Noah isn't gathering up platonic forms, he is gathering up varieties of cattle, fowls, etc.
3. In my opinion, interpreting the creation accounts to mean that God created platonic forms that were to reproduce but remain forever unchanged (within whatever parameters define a 'kind'), requires the imposition of assumptions on the text, since the text doesn't actually say anything about kinds remaining unchanged. I think a more conservative interpretation--with respect to the text--is simply that God commanded the earth and water to bring forth a variety of beasts, cattle, fowls, fish, etc, with the animals named serving as representative examples. No process or method is specified; God simply commands the desired outcome and it occurs.
Moving on, we should recognize that this issue arises at least partially because of our propensity to categorize things, as well as our heritage from Plato. As Richard Dawkins explained in The Ancestor's Tale (p.308):Ernst Mayer, distinguished elder statesman of twentieth-century evolution, has blamed the delusion of discontinuity - under the philosophical name of Essentialism - as the main reason why evolutionary understanding came so late in human history. Plato, whose philosophy can be seen as the inspiration for Essentialism, believed that actual things are imperfect versions of an ideal archetype of their kind. Hanging somewhere in ideal space is an essential, perfect rabbit, which bears the same relation to a real rabbit as a mathematician's perfect circle bears to a circle drawn in the dust. To this day many people are imbued with the idea that sheep are sheep and goats are goats, and no species can give rise to another because to do so they'd have to change their 'essence.'
I don't know whether the ancient Hebrews held essentialist views or not. It seems like a natural human tendency, but I would not want to underestimate the power of culture. Whatever the case, Western civilization has certainly inherited essentialism.
There is no such thing as essence.
No evolutionist thinks that modern species change into other modern species. Cats don't turn into dogs or vice versa. Rather, cats and dogs have evolved from a common ancestor, who lived tens of millions of years ago. If only all the intermediates were still alive, attempting to separate cats from dogs would be a doomed enterprise, as it is with the salamanders and the gulls [two examples of ring species--see below]. Far from being a question of ideal essences, separating cats from dogs turns out to be possible only because of the lucky (from the point of view of the essentialist) fact that the intermediates happen to be dead.
There are several other issues that the 'own kind' argument might be conveying and I think it is important to deal with them separately.
1. The inability of species to interbreed and hybridize is evidence against evolution because it shows that there are boundaries between kinds.
Fertile hybrids are more common in plants than animals. Nevertheless, the inability of species to interbreed is not a challenge to evolution. Rather, it is the result of evolution. Speciation is most commonly thought to occur through a process of reproductive isolation. As a simplistic example, imagine a population of mice that become separated from the rest of their species. If they remain isolated for long enough, their genetics will diverge from each other until they can no longer interbreed, and they will be considered two species.
The point here is that the barriers between species are not a logical problem nor a mystery for evolution. Further, we can turn the issue around and ask: If successful interbreeding is God's definition of 'kinds' then what are we to make of ring species, where local populations can interbreed with their neighbors, but the ends of the continuum cannot interbreed? And if God is so particular about keeping 'kinds' separated, why should hybrids--fertile or infertile--be possible at all?
2. If all life is related by common descent, then all life is of one kind. However, the scriptures speak of multiple distinct kinds.
This is equivocation because the meaning of 'kind' changes in each sentence. It's like saying that if humans are divided into tribes (e.g. the 12 tribes of Israel), then they cannot all be related because otherwise there would only be one tribe. In order to make sense of this one has to specify what is meant by 'kind' or 'tribe'. For example, bottlenose dolphins are a kind of dolphin, but they are also a kind of toothed whale, which are a kind of cetacean, which (skipping some levels) are a kind of mammal, which are a kind of animal, which are a kind of multi-cellular organism, and so on. That the scriptures speak of 'kinds' in one context does not preclude more inclusive (or exclusive) groupings.
3. Certain Church leaders have interpreted the scriptures as teaching that all life is to reproduce after its own (unchanging) kind, and as supporting evidence they have pointed out that different species do not interbreed and their hybrids are often sterile. Therefore, that is what those scriptures mean.
If the most important factor in accepting this general argument is that it has been promoted by some Church leaders, then the ground has actually shifted to a faith-claim. The evidence and reasoning for or against this interpretation of scripture becomes irrelevant when a person stakes out their position as a faith-claim, which they are free to do.
None of this is to argue that the creation scriptures actually endorse evolution. The expectation that science and the scriptures should match up is called concordism. However, there are reasons to reject concordism, and when it comes to the creation accounts I tend to (which makes the points I have laid out above somewhat superfluous). Rather than explain this, I invite interested readers to peruse posts with the label scriptural concordism. If you read nothing else, please read Genesis in Context, Comparing Creation Accounts, and Rejecting Concordism.
In summary, the plant and animal 'kinds' of the creation accounts are only in conflict with evolution if one holds to rigid essentialism and scriptural concordism, with a dash of scriptural inerrancy.


7 comments:
Philosophically speaking, there is such a thing as "essence" or "nature", it just doesn't have the properties that Plato and company thought it did.
In particular, it is not discrete, singular, immutable as actually instantiated, nor eternal. It is something you can be wrong about.
Aristotle didn't make the same mistake, although many of his followers did.
Hey Jared. Looks like you made a pretty well put-together post. However, as you might have imagined, I’m still not buying it. Of course, no clever argument will persuade me against the plain meaning of the text (it would take someone in a position of significant Church authority reaffirming your analysis to make me change my mind). But if it isn’t any trouble for you, I would like to offer my humble opinion about the things you have put down here.
For the 3 points reiterating “The Kind of Thing Not Found in Scripture” post:
Number 1 seems like a very trivial difference, and it doesn’t seem to make any change to the thought of the text whatsoever.
Number 2, in which you offered Gen. 6:19-20 and 7:14 as support for your argument of varieties rather than basic kinds, seems to me to rely on an unwarranted interpretation of the text. Aren’t you assuming that “sort” is not synonymous with “kind”? They seem pretty interchangeable to me, especially since in Gen. 6:19-20 the word “sort” is italicized, meaning that it was never part of the original text (see Bible Dictionary, “Italics”). The only place in those scriptures where “sort” is not italicized is in Gen. 7:14 where it says, “and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort.” That could easily be a simple reiteration that every basic kind of fowl was to be found on the ark. Redundant reiterations like this are common in the scriptures. Also, if two of every single variety in nature were to be found on the ark then that might make things pretty squishy, and I wonder about that threatening the plausibility of the story. I hold the story to be a real part of human history, despite what any intellectuals say to the contrary.
For number 3, of course, I would have to disagree there, too, since “forms that were to reproduce but remain forever unchanged (within whatever parameters define a 'kind')” seems like a completely natural interpretation/conclusion from the text for probably most every person who ever reads it.
I’m a little unnerved that you chose Richard Dawkins, the great antichrist of our time, in support of your position. You seem to have chosen a strange bedfellow here. I personally don’t care what that guy has to say about anything. I think we should follow the pattern of the people of Ammon with Korihor and kick him out of our lives (Alma 30:19-21). Besides, his ideas about there being no essential kinds is an improvable evolutionary belief that relies on having swallowed the notion that macroevolution has been occurring for millions of years, and I just plain think he’s wrong there.
Now for the other points below the Dawkins quote:
Number 1, I agree with you on this one. I don’t see how “the inability of species to interbreed is not a challenge to evolution” is necessarily a problem for evolution. However, I don’t see it as a problem for Creation, either, rather it seems pretty irrelevant to the argument altogether.
Number 2, which was my argument, is still valid I believe, because Joseph Smith’s teaching explodes the equivocation charge you laid here. You never addressed the fact that he taught, “the oak of the forest, the fruit of the tree, the herb of the field, all bear a sign that seed hath been planted there; for it is a decree of the Lord that every tree, plant, and herb bearing seed should bring forth of its kind, and cannot come forth after any other law or principle" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p.198). Here the Prophet seems to undeniably reaffirm the more traditional view of kinds. A tree or an herb cannot come forth except its respective seed has been planted there, and it having been related by descent to every other organism in the planet via the first single-celled organism breaches the “law or principle” by which the plants come forth. Plants and animals cannot be related to each other according to this quote.
Number 3, “Certain Church leaders have interpreted the scriptures as teaching that all life is to reproduce after its own (unchanging) kind…” Well, let’s just say I’d rather listen to what certain Church leaders have to say than Richard Dawkins or Charles Darwin. It’s true that the Brethren of the Church are and were mostly not scientists, and so their scientific vernacular is not quite up to par. But their basic counsel and scriptural exegesis would be much more trustworthy than that of Dawkins. And of course, when guided by the Holy Ghost, the prophets are qualified to speak on any matter (but I need not say that since that should be axiomatic).
Well Jared, sorry to have been so long-winded. I don’t mean to overtake your blog with a ravening dispute. I just thought some things should be said. Thanks for your time. You have an amazing mind, I just necessarily can’t agree with you on the evolution stuff.
Ryan,
Thanks for the comment. This post was for you, so take all the space you want.
I hope that it is clear that I am NOT disputing the ordinary observation that offspring are pretty much like their parents. And given that evolution as science is a relatively recent development, it would be unsurprising if most people--Joseph Smith included--considered it a hard-and-fast rule of nature that prevented gradual changes in kinds (well, putting aside widespread belief in spontaneous generation). It's a common-sense observation, like "what goes up, must come down." But that doesn't mean it's the whole story. My contention here is simply that belief in that hard-and-fast rule is driving interpretation of Genesis, not the other way around, and using the phrase "after their own kind" is a manifestation of that.
Why is "God said, 'let there be a distinct and unchangeable fowl kind." a better interpretation than "God said, 'let there be a variety of fowl-like animals.'"? From the text itself, I see no reason to favor the first interpretation. Rather, I think the first interpretation is a reaction against evolution. (As an exercise, for the sake of argument, assume that the second meaning is correct and re-read those verses in Genesis. Can you at least see that it also makes sense?) As an analogy, mainstream Christians claim to find their conception of the Trinity in the New Testament. If they want to interpret the text that way, that's fine. But don't try to tell me that the Trinity is actually derived from the New Testament. I see a similar thing here with regard to kinds. (I'm not sure what your point about kinds vs sort is. I don't think I made any distinction.)
I know that Dawkins is a boogey-man for many, and I thought I might get some grief for using him. However, The Ancestor's Tale is a great book (with hardly a mention of religion) and of the books on my bookshelf it had the best quotable treatment of the issue. If his out-spoken atheism prevents you from learning anything from him--well what can I say? I think that is unfortunate.
I had forgotten about Joseph's statement. There are several things to say about it. First, the statement was an introduction to his real topic, which was baptism. Second, he was simply making the point that if you see a plant (a tree, or whatever) then that is a sign that a seed was planted there (no mention of animals)--a common sense observation. (Interestingly, this seems like more of a rejection of sponataneous generation than anything else.) You wrote, "...having been related by descent to every other organism in the planet via the first single-celled organism breaches the “law or principle” by which the plants come forth." How? Plants did not exist then. The ancestors of plants had a method of reproduction that still produced progeny pretty much like the parents, and what proto-plants did then does not change what plants do now. And just to make things more difficult, there are plants today that reproduce without seeds (e.g. seedless vascular plants and vegetative reproduction), thus breaching the "law or principle". (I am reminded of Harold B. Lee's response to someone who objected to having high priests ordained as presidents of the Seventy because Joseph Smith had said that it was contrary to the order of heaven. President Lee replied, "...have you ever thought that what was contrary to the order of heaven in 1840 might not be contrary to the order of heaven in 1960?")
I think Joseph's statement is reconcilable with evolution, but I should also make a final point: sometimes prophets and apostles use inappropriate examples to bolster their point. A number of years ago in General Conference, an Apostle said that homosexual behavior is not found in nature, which is demonstrably false because it has been observed repeatedly. You can either try to shoehorn nature in to the limits of such statements, or you can accept that prophets and apostles can be wrong sometimes (which usually does not affect their main point).
Anyway, I've gone on long enough. Feel free to respond, if you wish, and take all the space you want. Again, I appreciate your interest.
Here are my thoughts about "kind". I don't see any conflict between the scriptures and evolution on this point.
Thanks for adding your thoughts, Allen.
Thanks for replying, Jared. And thanks for allowing me to have a forum on this matter. You and the frequent visitors to your blog are kind to allow me to express my opinions which generally go against theirs. Please allow me to respond now to your newer comments.
"Why is "God said, 'let there be a distinct and unchangeable fowl kind." a better interpretation than "God said, 'let there be a variety of fowl-like animals.'"?"
I like the second interpretation better myself as well. I concede that kind denotes variety or a possibility of variety, but that is not to say that macroevolution fits in the equation. Rather, microevolution is the means and mechanism of the variety. As far as the first interpretation being a reaction against evolution, I see your point. It would be a stretch, to say the least, to suggest that God included those phrases in scripture specifically to combat evolution post-1859. But I will say this: If such declarations of the verities of nature happened to be included in the Creation narratives, and it happened to refute evolution, then so much the better.
Sorry about the confusion with "sort." My understanding was that your usage of Gen. 6:19-20 and 7:14 to justify Noah having brought each particular variety of animal onto the ark, since it reads, "And every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark...Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee." My point was that we don't necessarily have to assume that each particular variety was brought aboard, but certainly representatives of each basic type of creature. Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying.
Now we come to the Joseph Smith statement about plants only bringing forth after their kind. The text makes it apparent that the reason Joseph compared baptism to it is because they are both undeviating verities. What Joseph Smith is saying with this quote is that there never was a time on this earth that a plant did not come forth except in its normal way known to us, via its respective seed or what have you. The fact that some plants do not have a traditional seed is interesting, but kind of irrelevant and really misses the point. Evolution teaches that, if you go back far enough, all organisms are ultimately related to each other. If this were true, then at that point no seed would have existed for an oak tree. Then how could an oak tree ever come about? It, like other vegetation, requires its specific respective seed to start out. This is how the "law or principle" is breached. Macroevolution flies in the face of Joseph's teaching. I have a great amount of confidence in Joseph Smith's teachings. He said once, when speaking on the Creation, "I am learned, and know more than all the world put together. The Holy Ghost does, anyhow, and he is within me, and comprehends more than all the world: and I will associate myself with Him" (TPJS, p. 350). On another occasion he said, "I could go back and trace every subject of interest concerning the relationship of God to man, if I had time. I can enter into the mysteries; I can enter largely into the eternal worlds" (TPJS, p. 359). Joseph Smith knew what he was talking about, and I would take his casual teaching over Darwin's best laid argument any day of the week. It is true in the quote he did not mention animals, but it is by no means reckless to extrapolate the principle into the animal kingdom, since the scriptures themselves do (they say that animals bring forth after their kind as much as they say plants do).
Perhaps you are wondering why I am so staunch in my literal interpretations of the scriptures. (You may want to get your box of tissues handy). It is because when I was a rebellious teenager, I had a profound spiritual experience while thumbing through the scriptures at random. It permanently transformed my life, almost in an instant. I know it was real, Jared, that is was truly God "speaking" to me through that experience, somewhat like Joseph Smith knew he could never deny his vision. Anyway, since the scriptures were the vehicle of my conversion, I saw very quickly the expediency of them being accurate. I have a vested interest in the scriptures being accurate (not infallible, but accurate). If they can't be trusted for much, then they're not worth much. But they can be trusted, and they're worth a whole bunch because of it. I believe in my heart that this is true, and I have used my faculties of intellect to further confirm it to myself. Anyway, that's my two cents. Always a pleasure, Jared.
Ryan,
Thanks for the comment. I didn't need tissues, but I appreciate your heart-felt interest in the matter and I better understand where you are coming from. Interpretation of scripture could be a large discussion of its own. I am not out to force you to change your view; however, I hope that you will look at my posts that I recommended regarding concordism.
Regarding Noah's ark, my point was simply that how the word 'kind' is used there is probably a good clue as to how it is used in the Creation narrative.
Now to Joseph Smith: I think part of the problem here is in conceptualizing evolution. You wrote: Evolution teaches that, if you go back far enough, all organisms are ultimately related to each other. If this were true, then at that point no seed would have existed for an oak tree. Then how could an oak tree ever come about?
If I understand you correctly, you seem to think that evolution implies that at some point oak trees did not have seeds. (Seeds are actually a plant embryo). The original plants did not have seeds (like the ones I made reference to). However, as plants moved onto dry land, they evolved seeds. The seeds did not simply appear one day. Rather, it was a gradual process that built upon or altered their already established method of reproduction. (Altering existing biology is how evolution usually proceeds.) Of the seed-bearing plants that we have today, the gymnosperms came first followed later by the angiosperms (which include plants with flowers (the sex organs) and fruit (the ovary)). By the time the dinosaurs died out (65 million years ago), angiosperms were common and the oak family (which includes hundreds of tree and shrub species) was established. Our oak trees are members/descendants of that family.
The point here is that it doesn't make sense to speak of oak trees without seeds because current oak species are members of a family that itself originated from seed-bearing plants. As Joseph said, there was never a time when an oak tree (or any oak species) came from something other than a seed. But it is only in retrospect that we can speak of the origination of the oak family, just as it is only in retrospect that we can speak of domestic dogs as being a group distinct from today's gray wolves. (In other words, the first domesticators of wolves did not know that they were initiating the origin of dogs as we know them.)
Anyway, I appreciate the dialogue we've had, and I presume that we will have more either on this post or another. I understand that your view of the scriptures drives your view of science, and I respect your commitment to the scriptures. I think that your reliance on creationist authors serves you poorly in understanding the science (judging by what I take to be your essay over at Mormons and Science), and I would encourage you to seek out publications by mainstream scientists.
Post a Comment