Thursday, November 06, 2008

Temple Astronomical Impossibilities


This has been a good year of backyard astronomy for me. Not only do I live somewhere with relatively little light pollution, but my bedroom window faces south-southeast which allows me an easy view of the ecliptic and the southern constellations. This also means that the moon shines right into my bedroom.

It's funny how you can know and understand a concept, but then come to an unexpected fuller understanding by coming it at it from a different angle. This has been my recent experience with the phases of the moon. I already knew that the phases are a result of the moon revolving around the earth--and that our view of reflected sunlight differs accordingly. But it wasn't until I consistently observed the moon that I realized that different phases of the moon correlated with particular times of day. This also means that the rising and setting of the moon changes relative to the sun in a consistent way (see example below).

Apparently the makers of one of the films shown in the temple didn't realize this either as it depicts a full moon hanging above a horizon where the sun has set (presumably--it also could be about to rise). That simply cannot happen; if the moon were that close to the sun in the sky, it would be a crescent (waxing if it followed the sun down; waning if it preceded the sun rising). The moon is full when it is on the opposite side of the earth relative to the sun.

I'm sorry to say that I did not catch the problem. I only recently made the new connection, and in one of life's funny coincidences, a member of my ward noticed the incongruity and brought it to my attention last week. I have noticed a rumbling sound as a planet passes by. Rumbling in the vacuum of space? I don't think so.

So now you have something new to look for the next time you go to the temple.




Sunrise/Moonrise Example:

Consider the lunar cycle beginning Oct 28 (all times as Eastern Standard Time). Notice that at New Moon the sun and moon essentially rise together, whereas by Full Moon the moon has fallen behind the sun by ~10 hours (times obtained here):

Oct 28: New Moon
Sunrise: 6:31 a.m
Moonrise: 6:17 a.m.

Nov 6: First Quarter
Sunrise: 6:41 a.m.
Moonrise: 1:23 p.m.

Nov 13: Full Moon
Sunrise: 6:49 a.m.
Moonrise: 4:59 p.m.

Nov 19: Last Quarter
Sunrise: 6:56 a.m.
Moonrise: 11:54 p.m.



4 comments:

Jared* 11/06/2008 10:04:00 PM  

I should clarify that I have not seen the video since becoming aware of the mistake.

Clark Goble 11/07/2008 12:18:00 AM  

Out of curiosity were any members actually deriving doctrinal significance to the editing of stock footage and clips from Fantasia in the temple film?

Anonymous,  11/07/2008 10:56:00 AM  

Congratulations on noticing this astronomical anomaly. Watching the heavens and knowing why we do so is a vital priesthood role that we have overlooked in recent times. The Lord declared in modern revelation that we should be able to "clearly and understandingly" explain the role of astral bodies in the "desolation of abomination" that awaits the world. (Section 84.) This is why all ancient temples were also observatories, repleat with astral alignments. That was the priesthood's role. That's why the Salt Lake Temple is covered with astral symbols (i.e., sunstones, moonstones, earthstones, starstones and Saturnstones. (Saturnstones? Yep!) Moreover, our temple ritual is all about planetary phenomenon. That's why Nibley said that the temple is a replica of the cosmos.

So, you've made a significant first step in obtaining a correct model of the moon's phases in relation to the day/night cycle. Now, learn the rest of the story.

Jared* 11/07/2008 08:05:00 PM  

Clark,

Not that I know of.

Anthony,

Thanks for the comment.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP