The Best Bookstore in Utah?
On my recent trip to Utah, I stopped by a few bookstores to look at LDS books. Based on this and previous experience, my impressions are as follows:
Deseret Book: Great if you want something published by Deseret Book (or Bookcraft, which is now owned by DB) or other Church-owned publishers (e.g. FARMS, BYU Religious Studies). You may or may not find books from other publishers.
Barnes and Noble: A small selection that occasionally has some variety.
Sam Weller's: Has a decent selection of older and out of print titles (I did not look at the higher-end rare books); pretty skimpy on newer ones, but it does have a few.
Benchmark Books: Pretty good overall selection; books from multiple publishers, and a decent selection of used books. Not many of the newer Deseret Books titles.
BYU Bookstore: At first glance, it's a mini Deseret Book. However, on closer inspection they do carry a few books from other LDS publishers, including ones that some might not consider "faith promoting."
So what bookstores do you recommend? I'm especially interested in stores that carry LDS books from publishers other than Deseret Book.


8 comments:
For Salt Lake County, I think Benchmark is the best in terms of service and atmosphere. The selection is pretty good too. He's a busy man, but if you can talk with Curt Bench while you're there, take the opportunity. You really missed out if you didn't get to Eborn Books in West Valley. It's well worth any type of detour to visit and Bret, the owner, is a friendly fellow. Weller is good. Only a few blocks from Weller you should have visited Ken Sanders, who has some good pieces. Just a few miles from Benchmark is B&W, which is fun to visit also. I'd put DB and Seagull at the bottom of the list in terms of originality and substance.
If you're in Utah county, Pioneer Book in Provo is good, but kind of a hole. If you are going to deal with anyone, ask for Ryan. Further south in Spanish Fork is Confetti Antiques which has a great selection and Donnie, the owner is a class act.
Happy hunting!
In addition to Benchmark which you already mentioned, there have always been a few good new/used bookstores on center street in Provo which I frequented when I was at BYU. Haven't been there for awhile, but I assume they are still there.
Thanks for the suggestions! Next time I'm there I'll check them out.
I'd say Amazon however some LDS book publishers (and academic presses with books on LDS topics) have inexplicably not put their stuff their of late. Kofford has been a particular problem. I can't understand this as Amazon's fairly easy to work with I've found. (We sell our chocolate on it) Some university presses like University of Illinois Press (with the book on the Utah War) also have had troubles with Amazon.
BYU really is your best bet.
Clark, given that Jared* has asked for the best bookstores "that carry LDS books from publishers other than Deseret Book," I'm not sure how you can say that BYU is the best bet.
I'm with Jared T. -- Benchmark is the best here, hands down. I'd put Sam Wellers second.
Also, I am not aware of the University of Illinois Press having any troubles with Amazon (and I'm also not aware of a new book from UIP on the Utah War). Clark, are you thinking instead McKinnon's new book At Sword's Point (part of the Kingdom in the West Series from Arthur H. Clark)? I ordered my copy of At Sword's Point from Amazon and had no problem. I have had some trouble lately getting some Signature titles from Amazon, but not from any of the university presses.
Randy B.
I know this is for Utah, and I don't live there and haven't visited in a couple of years.
I use the online versions of DeseretBook, SeaGull, and BYU Bookstore from time to time.
DB does carry some other publishers works but Seagull does more so.
Don't forget new and used books on Ebay! That's where I find the best variety and pricing and I have always had good luck when I stick to well-rated sellers who take PayPal. Confetti Antiques store was mentioned before and they have been a great seller on Ebay for me with fabulous selectons for rare and collectible titles. So I also vote for them.
I appreciate all the feedback on Amazon as I am learning to look there often as well.
Allison from Atlanta
Actually, the BYU Bookstore is not a bad place at all -- just walk past the 'regular' LDS section to the 'General Religion' section. You'll find Sunstone, Dialogue, and a selection of non-DB LDS books mixed in with the general religion books.
That same section is also a good place to pick up, well, non-LDS texts on religion, including reference texts (interlinear OT/NT editions, apocrypha, etc.). ..bruce..
It's my understanding from an insider that it's next to impossible for BYU publishing groups to sell their books on Amazon because of the organizational bureaucracy from the financial services department. I'm sure there are reasons for their rules, but one of the (hopefully unforeseen) consequences is that it prevents some worthwhile activities, such as selling publications on Amazon.
Post a Comment