Monday, July 07, 2008

Y Chromosomes and The Book of Mormon: Let's Get Something Straight

There has been a flare-up over DNA and the Book of Mormon--this time among believing members. I've had a hard time figuring out exactly what Rod Meldrum's scientific claims are. The best I've found so far is apparently the latest essay by Simon Southerton, "How DNA Divides LDS Apologists." Meldrum appears to be making claims about mtDNA haplogroup X. However, I want to discuss the Y chromosome for a moment.

I freely admit that I am not a geneticist, and I'll be happy to be schooled if I'm getting something wrong. Also, my specific criticism should not be construed as general criticism of those making the claims I criticize below. Now let's get down to business.

Some apologists seem to be making the basic following claim: Certain Y chromosome groups are found among Native Americans, people around Siberia, and among some Jewish groups. Although this chromosome grouping may come from Siberia (which is congruent with mtDNA and archaeology), it could come from the Jewish groups instead, and uncertainty in dating increases the plausibility of this interpretation.

I will try to explain why I think this is wrongheaded. Of course it should be obvious that if scientists thought there were good grounds to connect Native Americans with Jewish groups, we would not be having this discussion. And multiple lines of evidence point to Asia over 10,000 years ago, so why should we try to interpret the Y chromosome data in a way that runs counter to the other lines of evidence? But aside from these more philosophical objections, I think that the progressing science is casting additional doubt on the above claim.

The nomenclature of the Y chromosome groupings is quite a hurdle in itself, which is not helped by the fact that it has undergone several revisions. Originally, several researchers were using their own designations and things became a mess. In 2002 the Y Chromsome Consortium established a nomenclature for everyone to use. (It has recently been updated, but I'll get to that in a minute.)

Jeff Lindsay pointed out that haplogroup 1C is found in both Native Americans and some Jews. However, as of 2002 the designation 1C does not exist anymore. This figure shows the Y chromosome haplogroups and how they relate to each other. On the right are colored columns that show the different designations used by different researchers. If you look at the pink column toward the bottom, you will find two labels of 1C. By comparing that to what is on the left, it looks to me that in retrospect, 1C was not very well defined and even included groups not actually closely related. In other words, as additional details and groupings were filled in, it became apparent that the 1C designation was not helpful any more. So much for 1C.

Others make the same claims for M242 or P-36 (which is roughly equivalent to 1C), however similar issues are at play. Below are the latest haplogroup Q designations and relationships (click for bigger image) [1]. You can compare it with the Wikipedia Haplogroup Q page, which is helpful.




Everything to the right of M3 is known exclusively in Native Americans. If you work your way left to P36.2 (formerly P36) and then M242, you will see that the M3 grouping constitutes only a part of what is now included under P36.2 and M242. So to say that P36.2 is also found in Jews is not very informative. If I read this correctly, the closest relative to the M3 group is Q1a3*, which is found in Pakistan and India. If you look at the Wikipedia page, you'll see that if you move up another level you'll find that Yemeni Jews are related, but so are people of Asia and Siberia. The relationship to Jews is at best ambiguous here.

But it looks like we can go a step further. Some apologists point out the uncertainty in dating distinguishing mutations and hint that if we simply adjust time frames, then it all makes sense. Unfortunately for that argument, human remains from On Your Knees cave in Alaska, that radiocarbon dated to 10,300 years ago, yielded Y chromosome DNA falling in the M3 group. This independent dating puts a minimum time on the entrance (or origination) of M3 into North America.

Your head, like mine, is probably spinning by now. In summary, I think apologists should stop trying to link Native American Y chromosomes with that of Jews. Haplogroups represent somewhat arbitrary groupings. The question is not whether Native American genes are related to Jews (of course they are), but how close is the relationship and what time frames are we dealing with? So far it looks like the answers to those questions continue to be that most Native American DNA originated in Asia over 10,000 years ago.




Notes:
1. Tatiana M. Karafet, Fernando L. Mendez, Monica B. Meilerman, Peter A. Underhill, Stephen L. Zegura, and Michael F. Hammer. New binary polymorphisms reshape and increase resolution of the human Y chromosomal haplogroup tree. Genome Res., May 2008; 18: 830 - 838.

Unfortunately I cannot access this paper, but it will become freely available in November. However, the haplogroup chart from which I made the image above is available for download (28MB pdf).



9 comments:

BrianJ,  7/08/2008 12:45:00 AM  

So let me get this straight: whenever someone successfully shows a genetic link between Native Americans and Jews, the scientists get together and redefine relationships so that they aren't related anymore? {wink}

Clark Goble,  7/08/2008 12:59:00 PM  

I don't think that's what he is saying. Rather I think he's saying that the link is too vague and general to be of the use some apologists want. That other apologists are making this same point ought make one cautious.

I think that nothing hurts apologetics more than bad apologetics. Because, as we've all seen, critics then point to the bad stuff and make sweeping judgments of the whole. (We see that even at LDS blogs)

BrianJ,  7/08/2008 01:13:00 PM  

clark: I was being facetious (hence the "wink"). As in, my reaction was meant to parody the kind of bad apologetics some people do when science doesn't quite tell the story they like.

Jared*,  7/08/2008 05:46:00 PM  

BrianJ,

Yes, they are twirling their mustaches at this very moment.

Clark Goble,  7/09/2008 01:31:00 AM  

Sorry Brian. I'm kind of clueless when it comes to internet humor.

Anonymous,  7/09/2008 09:25:00 PM  

I've never fully understood why Mormons are so fearful of DNA and the Book of Mormon. I think it goes back to the belief of Mormon leaders up until three or so decades ago that the Jaredites/Lehites were the only ancestors of the Native Americans. Science has conclusively shown that there were other people here before and during the Book of Mormon eras. This means that Mormon's shouldn't expect the DNA trail to lead to the mid-East.

The focus of Mormon aplogists should be on why there is no evidence of mid-east DNA in the DNA trail. In my blog I link to a report from ScienceDaily that discusses two migrations to Europe. The first migration was by hunters. The second migration was by farmers. The farmers changed the cultural landscape of Europe, but the DNA of modern Europeans goes back to the hunters not to the farmers. This gives a scientific basis for the belief of some apologists that Lehite DNA could have disappeared, and that we should not be surprised that the DNA trail of modern Native Americans doesn't go to the mid-East.

Anonymous,  7/10/2008 12:03:00 AM  

"most Native American DNA originated in Asia over 10,000 years ago."

I'm having a hard time understanding what this claim means. Is it identical to the claim that pre-Columbian Americans were mostly descended populations that entered the New World around 8000 BC?

Anonymous,  7/10/2008 02:36:00 AM  

"I'm having a hard time understanding what this claim means. Is it identical to the claim that pre-Columbian Americans were mostly descended populations that entered the New World around 8000 BC?"

Until relatively recent times, the oldest people in the Americas were believed to be the Clovis people who were believed to have come here about 10,000 - 12,000 years ago. However, new evidence is coming out that people were here earlier than that.

Most scientists believe the early people came to the Americas from Siberia across a land bridge that is believed to have existed after the ice age. However, a few scientists believe the earliest people "island hopped" in small boats.

Go to my blog and click on the "migrations" category and on the "dna" category, and you'll get two lists of articles that discuss the various theories about migrations to the Americas, DNA of the native Americans, etc. Just keep in mind that the scientific knowledge about this is still in flux.

Anonymous,  7/10/2008 02:49:00 AM  

Ops... A slip of the finger. The land bridge was during the ice age. At the end of the ice age, the melting ice raised the ocean levels and covered the land bridge with water.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP