Book Review: By the Hand of Mormon
A couple of weeks ago I finished reading By the Hand of Mormon by Terryl Givens. I'm only six years late, but better late than never. In my opinion portions of the book should be required reading, especially the first chapter which gives a frank and thorough overview of how the Book of Mormon came to be. Beyond that, the book serves as a nice review of intellectual issues surrounding the Book of Mormon.
Rather than review the book myself, I will refer you to two useful reviews: one from the FARMS Review, and one from Dialogue. I have just a few observations to add.
1. The DNA issue is not discussed, however the treatment of geography is such that it should not be difficult to see how the issue fits in.
2. Perhaps no supporting evidences are uncontested, but some are more contested than others. For example, whereas Givens highlights 2 Nephi 12:16 (cf. Isaiah 2:16), even LDS scholars have urged caution regarding its use. Givens's score-keeping on evidences for or against the Book of Mormon should be used as a guide for getting up to speed on the arguments rather than as a definitive judgment.
3. Don't ignore the endnotes. There are interesting comments and references (some of which can be read online) to be found.


0 comments:
Post a Comment