Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What to Think of Wise?

Kurt Wise is a young-earth creationist who earned a Ph.D. at Harvard as a student of Stephen J. Gould (of all people). In Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why it Matters Donald Prothero mentions Wise and quotes something he has written (I have included a little more than is quoted in the book):

Although there are scientific reasons for accepting a young earth, I am a young-age creationist because that is my understanding of the Scripture. As I shared with my professors years ago when I was in college, if all the evidence in the universe turned against creationism, I would be the first to admit it, but I would still be a creationist because that is what the Word of God seems to indicate. Here I must stand.
I find myself conflicted over this position. His intransigence in the face of clear evidence is anathema to science--and in my view, personal growth--and for that I feel indignation. Yet I also maintain beliefs that lack the evidential support that I would like, and so I also feel compassion and empathy. Is Wise to be admired or disdained?

I think Prothero gets it about right.
I have no problem with his belief system.... If he labeled his ideas as religiously inspired, that would be fine. But he continues to pretend that he is following the rules of science; he wears the label of scientist and promotes his particular brand of "science" to unsuspecting people who are impressed with his Harvard Ph.D. but don't realize that he admits that he stopped doing science [a] long time ago.
I don't know to what extent Wise is guilty of the sins that Prothero attributes to him--I do know that Wise is considered one of the more honest creationists because he eschews some of the false or misleading arguments that some creationists use--but I think that Prothero's basic point is correct.

Commenting on Wise's quote above, Richard Dawkins asks,
Can you imagine believing that and at the same time accepting a salary, month after month, to teach science? Even at Bryan College in Dayton, Tennessee? I’m not sure that I could live with myself. And I think I would curse my God for leading me to such a pass.
I'll bet that Kurt Wise has his share of scars.



3 comments:

Jeff G,  2/26/2008 11:27:00 PM  

So, does he just believe that the world was created with the appearance of ago 10,000 years ago or what? I imagine he puts a lot of weight on the idea that the bigger the leaps of faith, the better. I wonder what he would have to say in response to many of the essays gathered in the book "Intelligent Design Creationism and Its Critics" by Pennock?

Clark Goble,  2/27/2008 04:00:00 PM  

Why it bothers me is it is a lack of humility about how one reads scripture.

Jared*,  2/27/2008 06:10:00 PM  

Jeff,

I don't know enough about him to comment on what he thinks. Only that the standard YEC positions are a given and all else flows from them.

I haven't read that book, myself. Am I missing out?

Clark,

I don't know if it has to do with humility or not. If he feels like God validates the YEC position in his heart when he reads the Bible, what can anybody say?

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP